Vacationing and my Chins?? - Paw Talk - Pet Forums
Chinchilla Discussion Twitching whiskers, fluffy tails, silky soft fur and all else chinchilla!

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 7 (permalink) Old 12-07-2003, 08:42 PM Thread Starter

Vacationing and my Chins??

I have been wondering about this for a while now. My sister is also a chin owner of one and she recommends only leaving them no longer than a weekend. I wanted to check with you all on here and get your opinions. My daughter and I have a planned trip to Ft.Lauderdale Dec 26-29, then Orlando Dec. 29-Jan.2. Notice how I planned this....right around the magic kingdom for New Years Eve!! :hyper: Unfortunately it is just us two going, so my mom is already extremely nervous as she showed me a chart of the ten most dangerous states in the USA and FL was number 4! I plan on having my mom come over to tend to the animals, but I was wondering how often she needed to come over and tend to them. This will be a trial period for her, since she has never touched any of the chins (yet). She got bit real bad by a cat when she was a child and has ever since not cared for animals. I did catch her one day with her hand inside the cage putting Carrera's roof back on her house I was shocked. She still hasn't touched her yet though. What I plan on doing is moving the feeder cups closer towards the door, so she can easily get to them without reaching all the way in. Since she is not comfortable yet being around them I was going to see how often I would need her to come and look after them.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 7 (permalink) Old 12-07-2003, 09:46 PM

I would say everyday.
post #3 of 7 (permalink) Old 12-07-2003, 10:05 PM
Paw-Talk Lifer

I would think every day too, maybe once in the AM and once in the PM, depending on how big their food dishes are. One thing to show her is how to clean the water bottles when she refills them, as opposed to just refilling it dirty. It's important they have fresh water so that bacteria doesn't build up and most people who don't have pets don't think about that.

You might just give her a checklist. Meaning food, water, hay and cage security.

Stephanie

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 7 (permalink) Old 12-07-2003, 10:28 PM Thread Starter

Thanks Jade! I didn't think about doing a checklist. I made out one of those for Melody when she was a baby prior to leaving her. I will definitely do that. I do know one thing though...she definitely knows how to clean the cages...now that the one I have is huge she helps me with that, since it takes two for the tray w/o spilling it. Another thing I just though of is getting her to tend to them while I watch and critique her. Maybe this will help her overcome her fear of animals. We shall see. I will also be calling her once/day to check in with her, since it's just us two girls, and to check on the animals.
post #5 of 7 (permalink) Old 12-07-2003, 10:33 PM
Paw-Talk Lifer

Another thought is to leave her the numbers of local vets who see chins, just in case.

Stephanie

post #6 of 7 (permalink) Old 12-15-2003, 10:38 PM
Proud New Mommy

Just make sure she knows what to do if either of them jump out, just in case.

Yeah- I think watching her tend to them once or twice would be good to see how comfortable they are around eachother.

And hey- I live in GA!! You're driving right past me, what's wrong with you!

"Live your beliefs and you can turn the world around"- Henry David Thoreau
post #7 of 7 (permalink) Old 12-15-2003, 11:30 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally posted by Rocheal
Just make sure she knows what to do if either of them jump out, just in case. That would be hilarious!!! She has seen me having to "rescue" one before, so she knows how to handle them, but I am more than positive my step dad would be doing the rescuing and she would be giving him the orders on how to go about doing it. Wish I had a security Cam, so I could watch if it does happen. Let's hope not.

Yeah- I think watching her tend to them once or twice would be good to see how comfortable they are around eachother.

And hey- I live in GA!! You're driving right past me, what's wrong with you!
ROCHEAL!!! I live in Greenville, so I would be heading towards columbia, then exiting off I-20 towards Savannah to get on I-95. I'm not going through Spaghetti Junction!!

Tags
food dishes