Vitamins? - Paw Talk - Pet Forums
Chinchilla Discussion Twitching whiskers, fluffy tails, silky soft fur and all else chinchilla!

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 25 (permalink) Old 04-07-2008, 03:43 PM Thread Starter
Movin' Up in the Pack

Vitamins?

I was in Petco today and noticed that they sell liquid vitamins for chinchillas. I know there's a lot of things sold in pet stores that say they're safe for chinchillas, but really aren't. Should I give my 5 month old chin vitamins?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 25 (permalink) Old 04-07-2008, 04:39 PM
Paw-Talk Lifer

If he's on a high quality food, there should be no need for vitamins. Additionally, vitamins like that which are usually meant to be put in water are widely considered useless. The water has to be changed every 24 hrs and they can be poorly absorbed. I wouldn't bother.

Stephanie

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #3 of 25 (permalink) Old 04-07-2008, 05:07 PM Thread Starter
Movin' Up in the Pack

Ok. Thanks for the help. When I first got him they told me that he was around six months, but I took him to the vet a few days after I brought him home and she said that he was around two months! She told me to put him on alfalfa hay for a few months so he could have extra fiber and then switch to timothy hay when he got older. Is that usually what you do? He eats the alfalfa hay and chinchilla pellets and I always take out all of the extra treats.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 25 (permalink) Old 04-08-2008, 01:04 PM
Adolescent Pup

if your food comes with extra treats you may want to switch to something with out treats.

You may want to try these foods all are great for chinchillas and no extras;

Kyo &
Krypto
1 poodle - Kitty
1 Mini Dachshund - Ivy

post #5 of 25 (permalink) Old 04-08-2008, 01:12 PM Thread Starter
Movin' Up in the Pack

I was thinking of switching to Mazuri as soon as he finished the last of the stuff I have for him now. I get it at Petco and its full of banana chips, raisins, corn and little color fluff things. I always pick them out because I don't want him to be unhealthy. I heard that corn and banana chips can go rancid and end up killing your chin. Is that true? I don't give him the banana or corn, but sometimes as a treat I'll give him one of the raisins.
post #6 of 25 (permalink) Old 04-08-2008, 01:21 PM Thread Starter
Movin' Up in the Pack

Since Mazuri is alfalfa based I need to switch him to timothy hay correct?
post #7 of 25 (permalink) Old 04-08-2008, 02:15 PM
Adolescent Pup

yup you could it wouldn't hurt

Kyo &
Krypto
1 poodle - Kitty
1 Mini Dachshund - Ivy

post #8 of 25 (permalink) Old 04-08-2008, 03:52 PM Thread Starter
Movin' Up in the Pack

I will do that and I'm going to get Mazuri tonight. Thanks
post #9 of 25 (permalink) Old 04-08-2008, 04:35 PM
Paw-Talk Lifer

Make sure to remember to do a slow food change. Do 1/4 Mazuri to 3/4 old food, increasing the increments gradually, and within about two weeks, he should be totally on Mazuri.

Stephanie

post #10 of 25 (permalink) Old 04-08-2008, 08:53 PM
Part of the Pack

I use Mazuri for my chin and hamster. They LOVE it!
Also, I would strongly recommend not giving the chin treats from the pet stores. They have so many added things that they don’t need.
My chin gets the all-natural organic treats from the HUMAN isles haha
such as...
raisins -favorite
unsweetened shredded wheat - rips open the bag for this! haha
dried apple - only a little! but he would die to get it!
rose hips - loves them!
post #11 of 25 (permalink) Old 04-08-2008, 09:39 PM Thread Starter
Movin' Up in the Pack

I considered not letting him have the treats and now I'm definitely not going to let him have them at all. I'll go get him the shredded wheat and raisins. He goes crazy over a raisin, its so cute. Can you get rose hips in the store as well? Those are supposed to be very rare treats right?
post #12 of 25 (permalink) Old 04-10-2008, 12:32 AM Thread Starter
Movin' Up in the Pack

Quote:
Originally Posted by nik8806 View Post
I use Mazuri for my chin and hamster. They LOVE it!
Also, I would strongly recommend not giving the chin treats from the pet stores. They have so many added things that they don’t need.
My chin gets the all-natural organic treats from the HUMAN isles haha
such as...
raisins -favorite
unsweetened shredded wheat - rips open the bag for this! haha
dried apple - only a little! but he would die to get it!
rose hips - loves them!
Do you order your rose hips off-line or can you buy them in stores? I really want to get some
post #13 of 25 (permalink) Old 04-10-2008, 07:51 AM
Part of the Pack

You can get them online or you can go to your local health food store to get some I would suggest not giving them whole though, there are things inside that make chinchillas paw at their mouths. I got whole and tried to take the stuff out, they're like little prickers and they hurt! I can go find you some websites that sell crushed rose hips.

Cindy sells them - http://www.sinfulchins.com/suppliesforsale.htm
Cory and Ryan sell them, but they're whole. - http://furryanimalsohmy.com/store/?category=3
Sally has 'em, but again, they're whole - http://www.freewebs.com/keepyourchin...chingarden.htm

I can't find anymore but I'll keep looking.

Last edited by ChinnyMom; 04-10-2008 at 08:01 AM.
post #14 of 25 (permalink) Old 04-10-2008, 08:08 AM
Part of the Pack

Susan at - http://chinstore.azchins.com/Basic.htm
Carise at - http://www.geocities.com/forchinatec...ncessories.htm

Hope these help.

post #15 of 25 (permalink) Old 04-10-2008, 12:15 PM Thread Starter
Movin' Up in the Pack

Thanks guys, I really appreciate it

Tags
alfalfa hay, chinchilla pellets, health food store, pet store, pet stores, shredded wheat, timothy hay