We did it again...... - Paw Talk - Pet Forums
Chinchilla Discussion Twitching whiskers, fluffy tails, silky soft fur and all else chinchilla!

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 12 (permalink) Old 07-03-2004, 05:12 AM Thread Starter
Paw-Talk Therapist

Smile We did it again......

Yup you read the title right, we did it again!!! We got 2 more chinnies out of a pet store here. Although I will admit we like this pet store for the most part, it is a small mom and pop type store that is mainly for pet supplies, they do carry reptiles and birds along with feeder mice, and maybe a hamster here and there. We walked in there yesterday to see if they had any Frontline Plus in stock for the dogs and cats and we did our little walk around the store (as it isn't very big), and low and behold on the floor in a decent sized rabbit cage there sat 2 baby chinnies. They looked to be about 6-8 weeks old, very young. I will give the guy props he had the proper beeding, and had straight pellets (probably rabbit) in there, but he had no junk stuff. He even had a glass water bottle set on the cage for them. We asked the guy if they were male or female and he said one of each. They appeared to be a little fluffed, I think that was due to the heat and no sand bath. After being in the store for about 3-5 minutes we already had sweat dripping off our forehead (yes it was rather warm in there). So we asked him how much he wanted, he told us and we ended up taking them both for about $40 each (after negotiating). I only wanted the male as that is what we have here, but Darren had a point when he asked me "Do you honestly think you can leave her here" and of course I said "NO" so they both left with us. We got them home and placed them in the smaller of the 2 cages Darren had built. Darren brought home some benebac for the orphaned newborn kittens that we seem to get alot of lately, so I gave some to each of the 2 new chinnies and weighed them. Yesterday they both weighed in at 188g, and I will weigh them again tomorrow or the next day, I will continue to weigh them about every 2-3 days to ensure they are gaining. I don't know if they will make it, but we couldn't leave them there. They are both standard's and if they make it past the isolation period then we will introduce the male to Chino and Bacio and place him with them. Eventually we will get another female to keep her company as well. We haven't named them yet, because I am just too scared to do that at this time, but with fingers crossed I have hope that they will be fine and then we can find them the names that fit. Chinnies are very new to Italy and although this guy had them in a decent cage, along with proper beeding and okay pellets they just still aren't educated enough about the temperatures that chinnies must live in, along with other things to look out for. So please everyone send these 2 little chinnies your prayers and thoughts and maybe with all the vibes coming through they will make it and be a permanent forever part of our family.
Sometimes I shake my head at all the animals we rescue wondering if they will make it or not, but ya know I don't regret what we do, because I know even if the animals we rescue don't make it they are better off here having the chance at a normal life than in their previous living conditions. I don't know if you can call buying these 2 or the other 2 (that didn't make it) a rescue but in my eyes it is, because they probably wouldn't of made it otherwise

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

MCBA Member

Submit your info today

I Sell Chinchilla Supplies!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 12 (permalink) Old 07-03-2004, 10:57 AM
Tongue Tied..Literally!

Congrats Kim! I couldn't read your entire post because I need to get dressed and get out of here so I will respond more later.
post #3 of 12 (permalink) Old 07-03-2004, 11:17 AM

You are one of the softest hearted people I know, those chinnies probably did not have a fighting chance in that store but have been given a chance by you and Darren, :hugs:

Did you ever receive my package?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 12 (permalink) Old 07-03-2004, 11:21 AM
Angel to Abandoned Puppies

That is so wonderful Kim.

You and Darren do a wonderful thing for all the furbabies.

MCBA Member

I've Been Frosted
post #5 of 12 (permalink) Old 07-03-2004, 12:02 PM Thread Starter
Paw-Talk Therapist

Aweeee thanks everyone Sassy when did you send the package hun? Hmmm because it only took a week for our order from Lonestar to get here, I hope it makes it okay, and I hope you got the right addie

MCBA Member

Submit your info today

post #6 of 12 (permalink) Old 07-03-2004, 01:52 PM
Movin' Up in the Pack

Thumbs up

Wow more chinns! Congrates! How many animals does that make now? I am not sure how much longer u will be in Italy but just think how many pets u will have by the time u leave How will u all get home? lol Anyhow I am glad u were able to save them and hope they adjust well to their new home
post #7 of 12 (permalink) Old 07-03-2004, 03:13 PM

Kim, I sent the package two days after we talked through email, I wil go to the Post Office Monday and try to find out what is going on,
post #8 of 12 (permalink) Old 07-03-2004, 03:35 PM Thread Starter
Paw-Talk Therapist

most of the pets will be going flying through pet air out of germany, they are a pet only airline and are pretty reasonable, as far as how many do we have, can't really say as we still have fosters......hahahaha
Sassy okay please do check, because it may actually be here too, they tend to send our mail to the wrong security precints sometimes, so I'll have Darren call the other precints tomorrow from work as well

MCBA Member

Submit your info today

post #9 of 12 (permalink) Old 07-03-2004, 11:00 PM
Tongue Tied..Literally!

Kim, you really are owner of Naples' biggest heart! You and your husband are saints and the animals you have brought into your house are blessed to be provided with such love and care from both you and your husband. We need more people like you and Darren in the world.
post #10 of 12 (permalink) Old 07-04-2004, 02:18 AM Thread Starter
Paw-Talk Therapist

Aweee Denise your too kind, your words made me blush girlie Thanks a bunch

MCBA Member

Submit your info today

post #11 of 12 (permalink) Old 07-09-2004, 10:41 AM
Proud New Mommy

Kim- A lot of people, unfortunately don't know about chinnies and thankfully- you do, and rescue as many as you can even possibly save. You are truely something...

Congrats on your two babies... I really hope they continue to gain weight. Have any pictures of them??

"Live your beliefs and you can turn the world around"- Henry David Thoreau
post #12 of 12 (permalink) Old 07-09-2004, 10:46 AM Thread Starter
Paw-Talk Therapist

Pictures will be coming, I was waiting to name them and take photo's until I was more certain that they would be fine. They are gaining weight, the female is now 207g and has gained 19g in 7 days and the male is now 212g and has gained 24g in 7 days. So I think they are both doing great.....Poops are normal, activity level is high, eating great, drinking plenty of water.....They both have a great personality and love to be out, and they are already hopping into our hands as we open the cage, so yes I think they are going to be just fine, will post pics soon......I promise!!!

MCBA Member

Submit your info today

Tags
pet store, pet supplies, rabbit cage