We dont know the cause - Paw Talk - Pet Forums
Chinchilla Discussion Twitching whiskers, fluffy tails, silky soft fur and all else chinchilla!

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 14 (permalink) Old 03-30-2010, 10:01 PM Thread Starter
Playful Pup

We dont know the cause

Pillow started to have diarrhea about two weeks ago. We've been to the vet three times since. Each time he's lost about 20 grams a piece (every four days or so) and he's skin and bones now. He weighs 360 grams, which is not good. We did a fecal test, and there's no infection or bacteria. X-rays showed nothing, as did various other tests. The vet can't determine what's causing the diarrhea and we're up to 4 medications now - metoclpramide, Tylan, Probiocin, metronidazole. I just don't know what to do at this point. His diarrhea is so bad I have to bathe his underside with water because it sticks to his feet and fur. Ive had him for almost five years, but he was a rescue, and I dont know how old he was before I got him. What should I do?

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 14 (permalink) Old 03-30-2010, 10:34 PM
Paw-Talk Addict

Is it the veggies you're feeding him, I wonder?
post #3 of 14 (permalink) Old 03-30-2010, 11:42 PM Thread Starter
Playful Pup

Chins dont eat veggies :/ I switched hay about three weeks ago, but its still timothy. My other two arent sick and everyones on the same diet.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 14 (permalink) Old 03-31-2010, 03:00 AM
I'm not weird, I'm gifted

The meds are not helping at this point.
Try getting some zoolac or fibreplex. You need to wait about an hour between meds and the fibreplex, or they will cancel each other out.
But there are some bacteria in this, that helps the intestines work the way they need to.
The problem with antibiotics is, that they kill every bacteria. Bot the bad ones and the good ones. So a long period with antibiotics will mess up the intestines.

Other than that, you could try trowing your feed out, and getting in some new. Still the same brand though. And the same with hay.
I do not know if you give any treats, but if you do, you could stop with them

/Pia

I apologized if my english is not correct
Owned by chinchillas since 1997
Breeding since 2005

<-- Check out my blog for Chinfo
post #5 of 14 (permalink) Old 03-31-2010, 11:57 AM Thread Starter
Playful Pup

I just called the vet and the technicians havent heard of zoolac or fibreplex. The left a message with the vet to call me this afternoon just in case he's familiar with it or if they carry it under a different name. Is there any where else to get it if not? The Probiocin he's on is all live-culture stuff, too, which Ive used before. Im picking up new hay today because Ive just had a feeling that might have something to do with it, even though it its not affecting the other two chins.

Thanks for your help

post #6 of 14 (permalink) Old 03-31-2010, 04:08 PM Thread Starter
Playful Pup

The vet called me back and said he couldn't find any information on zoolac, and very little on fibreplex but couldn't get it. I wasn't able to find anything online, either. So Im not sure where to get the stuff, or if there's any substitute for it.

post #7 of 14 (permalink) Old 03-31-2010, 04:42 PM
Playful Pup

just a thought but have you been giving him thouse lava treats that are made out of pumis? the one time i got them for my chins murry ate half a lava ledge in a day and got very sick from it. oh and did thay give you a packet of critical care to feed him to help bring his weight back up? if not get some it does wonders.

!!My Pets!!
Chinchillas: Murry and Loki
Cat: Kessie
post #8 of 14 (permalink) Old 04-01-2010, 05:34 AM
I'm not weird, I'm gifted

Zoolac if mostly used for dogs and cats.
I can only find danish info on it, so it may be a european/scandinavian thing :S

I found an english site that has some info on fibreplex http://www.vetuk.co.uk/index.php?mai...oducts_id=1180
You might be able too find it where you live.

/Pia

I apologized if my english is not correct
Owned by chinchillas since 1997
Breeding since 2005

<-- Check out my blog for Chinfo
post #9 of 14 (permalink) Old 04-02-2010, 08:32 PM Thread Starter
Playful Pup

This morning, he wasn't really moving and I couldnt get him to drink anything or eat anything. I rushed him to the vet and once we got there, he passed away in my arms.

Rest in peace, my little buddy.

post #10 of 14 (permalink) Old 04-02-2010, 08:43 PM
Paw-Talk Addict

I'm sorry!
post #11 of 14 (permalink) Old 04-02-2010, 08:55 PM Thread Starter
Playful Pup

Thank you And thanks to everyone for their help.

post #12 of 14 (permalink) Old 04-03-2010, 06:46 AM
Kansas City Chinchillas

I'm so sorry for your loss.

Cathy
Kansas City Chinchillas

post #13 of 14 (permalink) Old 04-06-2010, 05:35 PM
chinchilla breeder

I am sorry for your loss...But I do have a question. Why was he on metclopromide? That is a motility drug, which is normally used when a chinchilla is not deficating to get things moving.

Kristy Morici
ABC CHINCHILLAS

Many high quality chinchillas Available..

post #14 of 14 (permalink) Old 04-09-2010, 09:11 AM
Adolescent Pup

im so sorry for your loss.