We lost one. - Paw Talk - Pet Forums
Chinchilla Discussion Twitching whiskers, fluffy tails, silky soft fur and all else chinchilla!

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 11 (permalink) Old 07-29-2002, 12:05 AM Thread Starter
Paw-Talk Lifer

Unhappy We lost one.

I woke up and was wide awake this morning at 6am for apparently no reason. I knew something was wrong with one of the kits. I don't know how, but I just knew. I went to the cage and felt around in the dark into the front left corner and found what I knew would be there. E.J. the first kit, born as a breech birth, was lying on his side, away from Kizmet. I tried to put him back under her and she groomed him a bit then ignored him. That's when the sinking feeling started in my stomach.

I pulled him out and warmed him back up and he was reluctant to do anything but lay on his side in my hands and occasionally squeak. I kept rubbing him and warmed up some goat's milk to see if he would eat. He took a drop and that was it. He wouldn't take any more. I immediately picked up the phone and woke poor Sassy up ... nothing that we tried worked. Something was wrong and I guess it was out of my hands. The only thing that I can figure is that he was injured either during birth because it was a breech or Kiz unintentionally hurt him during the night. Three hours later at 9:15ish, he died quietly in my hands.

This was my first kit and my first litter and I lost him. It just doesn't make sense -- he was the largest of the three, was running around and being very active yesterday afternoon. I'm trying my best not to blame myself, but it isn't working well.

The other two kits are healthy and active as little monkeys -- they're my comfort through this. I left them with my mom and came to Christi's, and I have every confidence that they'll be fine. I'm going to put up a memorial for him in the memorial section, when I'm able to write what I want to write.

For now I'll just ask that you keep Kizmet and the other two babies in your thoughts and/or prayers.

Stephanie

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 11 (permalink) Old 07-29-2002, 12:29 AM

Jade I am so sorry for your loss! I will prayer for the momy and other babies. I hope you get some rest, and feel better soon.
post #3 of 11 (permalink) Old 07-29-2002, 12:42 AM

Jade, I wish there was something I could say to comfort you. I'm glad that you have two healthy Chins. I will be praying for you, the parents and the new babies. Don't be to depressed, you have to live for the living.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 11 (permalink) Old 07-29-2002, 12:49 AM Thread Starter
Paw-Talk Lifer

Thank you both. I'm keeping him close to my heart (figuratively) and focusing on the other two. I did everything that I could ... but it doesn't make it any easier.

I know now how others feel when this happens and I know it's a part of the cycle. I'll just put my heart and soul into the other two and all future kits, thanks to E.J.

Stephanie

post #5 of 11 (permalink) Old 07-29-2002, 02:42 AM
Salamander Buffalokisser

Jade I am so sorry about your loss. I am keeping the other babies and mom in my prayers. love ya

Stephanie
Be who you are and say what you feel
Because those who mind don't matter
and those who matter don't mind

check out my blog:

post #6 of 11 (permalink) Old 07-29-2002, 06:41 AM
Proud New Mommy

jade, i am so sorry... i know u have done everything u possibly could and more... i couldnt imagine how hard that would be.. but kizzi has given birth for the first time and had 3. you have 2 more beautiful kits to help raise and watch grow... i hope u feel better about this jade, im sorry..

"Live your beliefs and you can turn the world around"- Henry David Thoreau
post #7 of 11 (permalink) Old 07-29-2002, 07:36 AM

I am so sorry that you lost EJ. We will be keeping Kizzie and the other kits in our thoughts and prayers.

post #8 of 11 (permalink) Old 07-29-2002, 09:55 AM
Resident Chatroom Blonde

Jade I am so sorry about the loss of little EJ.I will be keeping the others in my thoughts and prayers as well.

post #9 of 11 (permalink) Old 07-29-2002, 10:29 AM Thread Starter
Paw-Talk Lifer

Thanks guys.

Stephanie

post #10 of 11 (permalink) Old 07-29-2002, 01:05 PM
Proud New Mommy

welcome :hershey:

"Live your beliefs and you can turn the world around"- Henry David Thoreau
post #11 of 11 (permalink) Old 07-29-2002, 09:13 PM

Unhappy

I am soo sorry Jade! If you need anything I'll be down there in a few days!