Wet Poo/Too many treats? - Paw Talk - Pet Forums
Chinchilla Discussion Twitching whiskers, fluffy tails, silky soft fur and all else chinchilla!

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 113 (permalink) Old 06-02-2008, 01:37 AM Thread Starter

Question Wet Poo/Too many treats?

Well i've noticed my lil Andy has slightly wet poo It's softer than usual.
I've been gone off and on a lot this month (once for a wedding then again for a funeral) and my landlord was his 'babysitter' do you think it could be from too many treats (raisins/peanuts) ? B/C i think that's what my guess is.......
if not please let me know (like if you dont think that could be the cause), if so, how long should it take to 'go away' before i should worry and take him into the vet?
Thanks in advance

P.s. He's not getting any raisin treats from me til this is figured out, just his mazuri and hay. I also gave him a shredded wheat (plain, no sugars, etc) b/c i read it could help his poo? *if so, how much can he have?*
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 113 (permalink) Old 06-02-2008, 02:26 AM
Movin' Up in the Pack

This is the advice my breeder and my vet give me for their irregular poop: if they stop eating or drinking, take them in right away!!! If its mushy, it could be too many treats...but if its liquidy they need to go in right away. Is Andy behaving normal or does he seem lethargic? Lethargy is usually a definite sign that its more than diarrhea. If its just diarrhea from too many treats try burning some toast and giving him it, I've heard this helps clear it up. Make sure he is getting LOTS of water. They dehydrate very quickly which can cause them to go down hill very quickly. Acidophilus may be helpful too; you can buy it at any health food store and it helps to restore their natural gut bacteria. Optimus got soft poop when I first gave him raisins. We took him to the vet and they didn't do much except give him fluids and antibiotics. It took about three days for it go back to being a hard pellet. You can give them a pinch of shredded wheat a day and, as you said, I've also heard this helps. I would recommend not giving Andy raisins anymore, ever. They're so high in sugar which can cause severe liver problems. Rose hips and shredded wheat are great treats that won't harm them. So, make sure he's eating/drinking and still playing otherwise get him in ASAP.

Good luck and please keep us posted.
post #3 of 113 (permalink) Old 06-02-2008, 08:05 AM Thread Starter

Thanks Janelle!
Yes, of course i will watch him. He's acting, eating and drinking all normal, which is why i was not totally freaked out. But also why i have been keeping a very close eye on him. Like i said, he's still acting normal so i think it's prob the treats.....

dang Andy's just so cute i bet my landlord couldlnt' resist givin him extra treats, lol. I'll have to ask my landlord when he gets back how many he gave Andy!

Perhaps if he's still pooing soft tomorrow i'll stop by the store for Acidophilus.

Any other replies greatly welcomed!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 113 (permalink) Old 06-02-2008, 09:31 AM
Part of the Pack

Nix the peanuts and raisins. Chinchillas aren't suposed to have nuts and raisins are way too high in sugar to be given regularly.

Pull the pellets for one or two days until you see the poo improving. Lots and lots of fresh water and hay!

Burnt toast doesn't do squat. Try activated charcoal. You can get it at your local pharmacy in capsuls and it will help firm up the stool.

Also, you can try giving him some unfrosted shreddies.

Tara, even if his poos improve before tomorrow you should still look into getting acidophilus. It is good as a daily supplement and helps prevent GI Stasis.

If you do not see improvment in a few days, a trip to the vet may be in order.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #5 of 113 (permalink) Old 06-02-2008, 11:07 AM
Movin' Up in the Pack

Good to hear that Andy is acting normally! Honestly, if it were GI stasis or something really bad, I think you would know. I knew the second I saw Optimus that it was more than diarrhea. He looked so sad and barely moved.
post #6 of 113 (permalink) Old 06-02-2008, 11:31 AM
Part of the Pack

Quote:
Originally Posted by Janelle View Post
Honestly, if it were GI stasis or something really bad, I think you would know.

I don't know if you're refering to my comment about acidophilus but I didn't say it was.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #7 of 113 (permalink) Old 06-02-2008, 12:18 PM
Movin' Up in the Pack

I wasn't refering to your comment and I completely agree with what you said

I was just saying that if Andy did have GI stasis it would be pretty apparent. But I agree that acidophilus will help prevent it.
post #8 of 113 (permalink) Old 06-02-2008, 12:19 PM
Part of the Pack

Quote:
Originally Posted by Janelle View Post
I wasn't refering to your comment and I completely agree with what you said

I was just saying that if Andy did have GI stasis it would be pretty apparent. But I agree that acidophilus will help prevent it.

Oh okay . I am a bit off today, I apologize.

post #9 of 113 (permalink) Old 06-02-2008, 12:23 PM
Movin' Up in the Pack

No problem
post #10 of 113 (permalink) Old 06-02-2008, 02:15 PM
I'm not weird, I'm gifted

You can give nuts a couple of time a week, it's no problem at all.
The fat in nuts are good for your chinnies

/Pia

I apologized if my english is not correct
Owned by chinchillas since 1997
Breeding since 2005

<-- Check out my blog for Chinfo
post #11 of 113 (permalink) Old 06-02-2008, 02:45 PM
Part of the Pack

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chinchi View Post

Actually no it's not. The oil and fat content in peanuts build up and they cannot digest it properly. Chinchillas need high fiber diets to keep their gut and its contents moving, you don't need to be adding something unnessecary to your chinnies diet to slow it down. You're just giving a warm welcome for GI stasis.

Any type of nuts are definitely NOT good for your chinchilla. No treats are nessecary, people just choose to give them to their chinchillas because they're 'oh so cute'.

Removing the junk from your chinchillas diet is not going to hurt them, it may infact help you keep them alive longer.

All you need is a high quality pellet, hay, and fresh water, you're good to go.

post #12 of 113 (permalink) Old 06-02-2008, 03:50 PM Thread Starter

Thumbs up

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChinnyMom View Post
Nix the peanuts and raisins. Chinchillas aren't suposed to have nuts and raisins are way too high in sugar to be given regularly.
Pull the pellets for one or two days until you see the poo improving. Lots and lots of fresh water and hay!
Burnt toast doesn't do squat. Try activated charcoal. You can get it at your local pharmacy in capsuls and it will help firm up the stool.
Also, you can try giving him some unfrosted shreddies.
Tara, even if his poos improve before tomorrow you should still look into getting acidophilus. It is good as a daily supplement and helps prevent GI Stasis.
If you do not see improvment in a few days, a trip to the vet may be in order.
Thank you so much!!
So he can have the acidophilus daily??? how much? like what milligram or whatnot do i buy to give him? (sorry this sounds so naive of me!! i thought i was givin him everything he could have but i do know my land lord said he was givin him 1 peanut at night and one raisin in the morning!! eek! i def. wasn't givin him that many personally in case ya wondered)
I'm pullin his pellets as i type and he has lots a fresh hay and water, as always so i guess he'll eat what he gets! Spoiled boy, he may pout i'm not givin in!!!!
I'm throwing away the nuts/raisins by his cage so my landlord cannot sneak any and i also told my landlord that he would die if he had anymore just to keep him from giving him any at all!!

Okies. well Andy's got a new diet, haha...HAY and WATER!! (for 2 days/til firm poop) no more treats!
and please let me know what kind of acidophilus stuffs he can have and i'll go buy it

thank you thank you thank you both chinny mom and janelle!!
post #13 of 113 (permalink) Old 06-02-2008, 03:52 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chinchi View Post
You can give nuts a couple of time a week, it's no problem at all.
thanks, but i think i'm gonna take them away b/c lookin around @ other chinny pics, andy's kinda fat anyways!
post #14 of 113 (permalink) Old 06-02-2008, 03:56 PM
Part of the Pack

You can sprinkle a half to one full capsul of acidophilus on his food. But in this case, go to the grocery store and get a box of unfrosted mini shredded wheats and sprinkle it on that and give it to Andy.

You can not 'over dose' acidophilus per se because whatever doesn't stick, Andy will just poop out.

Another option is getting those strawberry flavored acidophilus tablets. They taste nasty but the chinnies love 'em.

Last edited by ChinnyMom; 06-02-2008 at 03:59 PM.
post #15 of 113 (permalink) Old 06-02-2008, 03:58 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChinnyMom View Post
You can sprinkle a half to one full capsul of acidophilus on his food. But in this case, go to the grocery store and get a box of unfrosted mini shredded wheats and sprinkle it on that and give it to Andy.

You can not 'over dose' acidophilus per se because it is an herb.
okies! thanks I already have unfrosted mini shredded wheat so i'll go to the store and get some of the acidophilus
THANKS SO MUCH