What can I add to their oat supplement - Paw Talk - Pet Forums
Chinchilla Discussion Twitching whiskers, fluffy tails, silky soft fur and all else chinchilla!

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 6 (permalink) Old 04-04-2010, 06:51 PM Thread Starter
Adolescent Pup

What can I add to their oat supplement

I make my chinchillas an oat supplement and im wanting to put ground nuts in it just to give it a little flavor. Im talking maybe 1/2 cup to a 9 lb batch. anyways im wondering what nuts are ok?? i know they arent the best treats, but they are ok in moderation, so i dont need a lecture on this. thank you for any the input.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 6 (permalink) Old 04-05-2010, 05:58 AM
I'm not weird, I'm gifted

1-2 nuts a week at most. They WILL get fat if you feed them more.
But peanuts and hasel nut are okay. They seam to prefer peanuts though.

Don't get me wrong, I'm all for mixing your own food, because the pellets we used, are based on what works on fur farms, and not on what they eat in the wild.
But if I were you, I would use some corn instead. Corn is not a problem. Actually when fur farmers mixed their own feed form different types of grain, they also used corn. The corn was more like treats, and didn't hurt the animals, but at the same time it was unhealthy for them to eat nothing but corn.

If you want more ideas on what to mix in with the pellets, just pm me.

/Pia

I apologized if my english is not correct
Owned by chinchillas since 1997
Breeding since 2005

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
<-- Check out my blog for Chinfo
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #3 of 6 (permalink) Old 04-05-2010, 10:24 AM
Rodentologist

I would have to disagree with you on the corn, Chinchi. Corn is very starchy and high in sugar and doesn't tend to digest well. There are studies in other species that it contributes to cancer, and most of the dried type corn you find is contaminated with fungus

We are as gods to the beasts of the fields. We order the time o' their birth and the time o' their death. Between times, we ha' a duty. - Terry Pratchett.

"Men have forgotten this truth", said the fox, "But you must not forget it. You become responsible, forever, for what you have tamed. - Antoine de Saint-Exupéry
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 6 (permalink) Old 04-05-2010, 12:15 PM
I'm not weird, I'm gifted

Okay
Well it's not a problem I know off. And I have a tendency to belive the fur breeders and not the studies
That may just be wrong of me, but they often have a lot more animals they can "experiment" on than we have.

It might be nice to know, that over here we talk a lot with our fur breeders, and get a lot of info from them. Most of them treat their animals very well. That's also why Denmark has some of the best fur in the world

/Pia

I apologized if my english is not correct
Owned by chinchillas since 1997
Breeding since 2005

<-- Check out my blog for Chinfo
post #5 of 6 (permalink) Old 04-05-2010, 12:17 PM
Rodentologist

It's not so much the "studies" that I'm worried about, but in my experience doing rescue, corn tends to cause GI problems because of the high amounts of sugar. If you wouldn't feed a chin a handful of raisins, you shouldn't feed a chin a handful of corn.

We are as gods to the beasts of the fields. We order the time o' their birth and the time o' their death. Between times, we ha' a duty. - Terry Pratchett.

"Men have forgotten this truth", said the fox, "But you must not forget it. You become responsible, forever, for what you have tamed. - Antoine de Saint-Exupéry
post #6 of 6 (permalink) Old 04-06-2010, 05:28 PM
chinchilla breeder

I wouldn't add anything to the Oats, They tend to like the oats as is. Animals do not need the Variety people feel the need to give them. I have also heard that nuts cause yellow liver disease. It was a big problem years ago when nuts were used more in the diet at ranches.
Corn is a Huge No No as it causes major GI issues and Bloat. The Ranchers (Fur breeders) here in the US aviod corn in the diet. as well as most nuts. Ryerson chinchillas makes an Oat based suppliment that is loved by my chinchillas. I would suggest just getting that

Kristy Morici
ABC CHINCHILLAS

Many high quality chinchillas Available..