What could have caused his death? - Paw Talk - Pet Forums
Chinchilla Discussion Twitching whiskers, fluffy tails, silky soft fur and all else chinchilla!

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 20 (permalink) Old 06-10-2004, 06:17 AM Thread Starter
Paw-Talk Therapist

Exclamation What could have caused his death?

Okay I am really confused now.... Let me explain, for those that don't know, about 3-4 weeks ago we purchaed (rescued) 2 standard chinnies from a run down pet shop here in Southern Italy, and about 13 days ago the female passed away, she wasn't doing well from the start, but seemed she had been getting better, so we had hopes for her. After Vickie's passing, Torro seemed to be doing okay and a week later we went and visited a recommened breeder in hopes of finding same sex mates for Torro (which we came home with 2). Now although they have been in seperate cages, I didn't have them totally isolated (as I know I should have, so now I'm worried). Anyway back to the subject, Last night after bottle feeding the 2 new kittens, I checked on the chinnies (about 1:00am) and all was fine. Darren came home from work this morning and the chinnies were jumping and playing, he said Torro was just a be bopping all over his cage, then after feeding the kittens he peeked on them again, before heading to bed (about 6:30am). Well when I got up this morning, and after a very serious phone call I received, I finally made my way to the chinnies, (about 9:00am) and I noticed Torro laying on the bottom of his cage, so I imediately picked him up out of the cage and his breathing was very shallow, I rubbed him trying to get his circulation going, and within 10 minutes he passed on. Now this is why I am so confused, we weighed both him and Vickie when we got them, then I weighed him again (he seemed to have lost a little weight), and then when we got the new chinnie boys, I weighed Torro again (and he lost some more weight), however his appetite had increased and his soft poop had returned to almost normal, so I figured he was just adjusting to a new place, diet, ect... We couldn't convert him over from what he was eating (because they pretty much had bird food and bread in the cage for them), so we had to switch him over straight out. My thoughts are leaning towards diabetes, due to the increase appetite, energy, and yet still loosing weight. We weighed him after he passed and he lost another 23g in approx. 4 days. I thought I mis-wrote his first weight down as it was so close to Vickies, but Darren led me to believe I didn't which means he went from 376g to 280g(after passing) in 3-4 weeks. Any clues as to what might have caused this? It happened so quick and there were no signs of illness what so ever. Appetite increase, Engery level High, Loss of Weight. Again those were the only symptoms we have...... I am hoping to be able to prevent this from happening again, if it can be prevented, Please Help!!!!!
R.I.P. Torro - Please know you weren't meant to pass and we will miss you dearly.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

MCBA Member

Submit your info today

I Sell Chinchilla Supplies!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 20 (permalink) Old 06-10-2004, 08:14 AM
Tongue Tied..Literally!

Aww Kim, I am so sorry to hear about Torro passing. Yes, that is very odd his appetite increased yet he lost that significant amount of weight. Considering his diet consisted of bird seed and bread before you adopted him, God only knows what this did to his body. I wish I had more information for you. I am sure Steph can elaborate more on what she thinks the symptoms were caused from.

Hugs to you Kim. At least Torro was able to live out the last weeks of his life with a loving, caring, mum.
post #3 of 20 (permalink) Old 06-10-2004, 08:40 AM
Playful Pup

Kim, I am so sorry. A similar thing happened to my sister. Come to find out...my niece had a cold sore on her lip and handled the three chins daily (giving them love and KISSES)...my niece passed the infection on to them and they (2 of them)passed very quickly. We managed to get one to the vet in time and he was saved. Apparently, the infection dehydrated them. It was really bizarre! I really didn't think the chin was going to make it to the vet. His breathing was extremely shallow and his body was really limp. The vet could barely hear his little heartbeat. He rehydrated him through injection and gave him antibiotics and the very next day, it was like he was never even sick! I couldn't believe how close to death he was.

I am so sorry to hear of your loss.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 20 (permalink) Old 06-10-2004, 09:23 AM

I am sorry Kim, Torro spent his last days knowing that he was loved and being cared for. Both chins probably had something wrong before you ever got them it just took its toll on their little bodies and they couldnt fight it any longer.
post #5 of 20 (permalink) Old 06-10-2004, 09:35 AM
New Title? MEMBER.

I'm sorry for your loss. It sounds like diabetes to me too...and given their previous diet, it is easy to see how diabetes would develop.

Candice

A friendly forum for pets and their owners!
post #6 of 20 (permalink) Old 06-10-2004, 09:49 AM
Angel to Abandoned Puppies

I am sorry for your loss Kim!! That is so sad. I agree too that considering their diet it isn't surprising. A diet like that can cause liver damage I believe as well.

MCBA Member

I've Been Frosted
post #7 of 20 (permalink) Old 06-10-2004, 09:53 AM
Nan
Playful Pup

I'm so sorry to hear about your chinnies. I don't know what could have happened. If the was fed such a poor die that had to set him up for illness. Chinchillas are prey animals and hide their symptoms well. Unfortunately for chin caregivers that makes it very hard to know when something is wrong quickly so we can get them to a vet. Take comfort that you made their last days happy.
Diana
post #8 of 20 (permalink) Old 06-10-2004, 10:16 AM Thread Starter
Paw-Talk Therapist

tyvm everyone, it's just frustrating is all.... If only I had some type of preventive medicine, thanks to Sassy when we were back in the states we had some med's that enabled us to treat all of our chins when some were dying off quickly from a past breeder (which will remain nameless), however here it is so hard to find anything....UGH!!!! I am not really sure it was bird seed they were feeding them at the store, but it sure looked like it. I just hope whatever caused their deaths it didn't get passed along to the other 2 as I didn't quarantine like I used to do. Their cages were seperate and they were in a big enough space, but still they were in the same room (shame on me).....again UGH!!!

MCBA Member

Submit your info today

post #9 of 20 (permalink) Old 06-10-2004, 10:24 AM
Tongue Tied..Literally!

Kim, try not to get stressed out over the fact Torro was in the same room with your other chins. This really does sound like a case of poor nutrition which affected his vital organs and caused his death .

Hang in there Kim.
post #10 of 20 (permalink) Old 06-10-2004, 10:30 AM
Poo dont scare me!!!

I cant help any, but Im sorry to hear that he passed too...

post #11 of 20 (permalink) Old 06-10-2004, 11:32 AM
Super Soaker Snot Ball Shooter

I'm sorry for your loss.

Rhonda

post #12 of 20 (permalink) Old 06-10-2004, 11:43 AM
Paw-Talk Lifer

Kim, I'm so sorry.

I would be inclined to think it was an organ failure too, either due to the high fat content of the seed diet, or the sudden fiber he wasn't used to causing some gas he couldn't get rid of and leading to a bloat situation. Without a necropsy, it's hard to tell. Either way, you didn't have much choice but to switch him over to a good diet and if the damage was severe enough due to the bad diet, there wouldn't be much reversing possible. Don't blame yourself.

Stephanie

post #13 of 20 (permalink) Old 06-10-2004, 12:29 PM Thread Starter
Paw-Talk Therapist

Thanks again everyone, Steph and Denise, I am trying not to be hard on myself, or blame myself, as I know what I did for him was right, but it just breaks my heart to think I should of been able to do more (I know there was probably nothing I could do), and Steph there is noway of getting a necropsy done here. I shouldn't say there isn't that exactly, after researching I have found an Exotic Vet around Florence, and have sent off an email to her in hopes of maybe finding one she could recommend in our area , but still not holding my breath as Chinchilla's are very new to Italy.
Thanks again for all your kind words everyone You all are always so supportive and it means the world to both Darren and I.

MCBA Member

Submit your info today

post #14 of 20 (permalink) Old 06-10-2004, 02:27 PM
Movin' Up in the Pack

I am so very sorry for your loss and all your sadness.

Team Captain: Mother of 250 chinchillas!
New litters weekly...I must be nuts
post #15 of 20 (permalink) Old 06-10-2004, 04:31 PM Thread Starter
Paw-Talk Therapist

Thanks

MCBA Member

Submit your info today

Tags
exotic vet, pet shop, seperate cages