What do you breed for? - Paw Talk - Pet Forums
Chinchilla Discussion Twitching whiskers, fluffy tails, silky soft fur and all else chinchilla!

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 9 (permalink) Old 09-25-2004, 03:08 PM Thread Starter

Question What do you breed for?

I've got Chinnies on the brain. You know how that is...

Anyway... This post is mainly directed to the breeders. I was hoping y'all could answer a few questions for me.

1. What do you breed for? (Goals, what do you strive for, etc.)
2. Are your breeding goals different with each breeding pair (or group)?
3. Have you ever (so far) changed your breeding goal(s)?
4. How do you decide which Chinchilla should be bred to which?
5. What, overall, do you hope to accomplish through breeding?
6. How did you get into breeding and why?

OK, I hope that's not too much to ask at once. Forgive me if so, I'm one of those annoying people who's highly curious by nature and always has a million questions.

Thanks in advance for taking the time to answer!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 9 (permalink) Old 09-25-2004, 08:15 PM

GOOD SIZE, ROUND, CUTE HEALTHY, FRIENDLY CHINCHILLAS THAT FALL WITHIN "QUALITY" GUIDELINES

2. Are your breeding goals different with each breeding pair (or group)? DIFFERENT, HOW? I'D HAVE TO SAY NOT REALLY

3. Have you ever (so far) changed your breeding goal(s)? YES, I USED TO FOCUS MAINLY ON FANCY COLORS. NOW I FOCUS ON HEALTH, TEMPERAMENT AND IMPROVEMENT IN FUR, COLOR ETC.

I DETERMINE BY SIZE, COLOR, COMPATIBILITY. MOST IMPORTANTLY I LOOK TO SEE HOW THE PAIR CAN IMPROVE EACH OTHER. FOR INSTANCE, IF ONE IS LACKING IN FUR DENSITY, I PAIR IT WITH A CHIN WITH GREAT FUR.

IMPROVEMENT AND HEALTHY, FRIENDLY ANIMALS!!

BELIEVE IT OR NOT I HAD A DREAM THAT I BRED CHINCHILLAS OUT OF THE BLUE! I RESEARCHED AND STARTED VERY SLOW. WHY? SIMPLY THE PURE LOVE OF RAISING GREAT ANIMALS.
post #3 of 9 (permalink) Old 09-25-2004, 09:17 PM

1. What do you breed for? (Goals, what do you strive for, etc.) I am going for big blocky animals with dense fur. I want to produce first place show animals with pet temperments
2. Are your breeding goals different with each breeding pair (or group)? yes I focus on a different area that needs improving with each group
3. Have you ever (so far) changed your breeding goal(s)? Not really I am still using great standard males to great mutation females
4. How do you decide which Chinchilla should be bred to which? I look at weaknesses and pair them with an animal strong in that area. My best male is with my best females (there is no such thing as a perfect chinchilla)
5. What, overall, do you hope to accomplish through breeding? I hope to raise the standards of pets and produce freindly animals that will live a healthy long life and would be considerd a show quality animal
I got a couple males then years later after research I got a female
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 9 (permalink) Old 09-25-2004, 09:24 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by CTChin
2. Are your breeding goals different with each breeding pair (or group)? DIFFERENT, HOW? I'D HAVE TO SAY NOT REALLY
For example, I have known breeders who had a couple of pairs they were breeding for an extraordinary color. Anything from sapphires to trying to make polka-dotted Chinnies. As for their other Chinchillas? They just wanted to breed show quality, healthy, happy chinnies. They weren't trying to accomplish anything special, color-wise.
post #5 of 9 (permalink) Old 09-25-2004, 09:42 PM

Ah..o.k. LOL I do want to produce more ebs, whites, and violets but healthy, beautiful chins are most important
post #6 of 9 (permalink) Old 09-25-2004, 09:59 PM

1. What do you breed for? (Goals, what do you strive for, etc.) Bigger. blockier show quality chins with good personalities
2. Are your breeding goals different with each breeding pair (or group)? No, my goals are the same for each pair.
3. Have you ever (so far) changed your breeding goal(s)? Yes, at first I wanted color and personality and now I want size and personality
4. How do you decide which Chinchilla should be bred to which? Color, size and personality
5. What, overall, do you hope to accomplish through breeding? I want bigger blockier chins with dense coats and good persoalities
6. How did you get into breeding and why? We had chinchillas since my oldeat daughter was a infant (shes 18), we had always had one at a time, our chin Justin died the year she turned 13 and we had went and bought a pair that bred the night we got them and had babies 111 days later, I started researching and that was the beginning of my breeding.
post #7 of 9 (permalink) Old 09-25-2004, 11:03 PM

I breed for excellent show qualities with good pet temperments and above all, health. I strive for large, blocky animals with excellent fur qualities according to MCBA's standards of what perfection is.

2. Are your breeding goals different with each breeding pair (or group)?
Yes. All chinchillas are different. Therefore with some pairs I focus more on size, other pairs I focus more on removal of any red tint in the lines. Mainly, each pair is to be elvaluated and decided what traits each have that compliment the other and strength weaknesses.

3. Have you ever (so far) changed your breeding goal(s)?
So far, no. But I have done a lot of research. I have added more colors to my herd, but many of the goals are still the same.

I look at each individual animal...I have one that has awsome fur and is incredibly blocky, but lacks size. So, I'm getting a female for him with incredible size and excellent lines to offset that lack of size. I also want some brown velvets...Since he is TOV I wanted his female to be a beige..so that's what I'm getting...A large beige female with excellent lines. For another pair, one shows a bit of undesired red tint, but overall is an excellent animal...another excellent animal with a very strong blue hue will help offset and hopefully cut that red tint out of the line.

I hope to produce excellent show quality chinchillas who are free of inherited diseases, for pets and show

After my first petstore chin passed away from birthing complications (I did not breed her, she was bought pregnant and didn't know it) I began to look into why. I learned a lot and was frusterated that she could have gotten pregnant so young at the pet store. I then decided I wanted to breed in order to improve health and supply pet owners with healthy pets insead of petstore heartbreaks. As I continued to reseach, I learned of MCBA and shows...after my first show...that was it. There was no turning back
post #8 of 9 (permalink) Old 09-25-2004, 11:12 PM Thread Starter

I want to thank each of you that have answered thus far. Thank you so much for taking the time!
post #9 of 9 (permalink) Old 09-26-2004, 12:28 AM
Member formerly known as MistyLea21

1. What do you breed for? (Goals, what do you strive for, etc.) I breed to solely improve the animals, and for pet/breeding homes to provide nice quality for decent prices, education and awareness, big, blocky, good temperment.
2. Are your breeding goals different with each breeding pair (or group)? Overall I would say they are the same, however there are some that I breed to improve a certain characteristic hopefully, or weed out the the things less appealing.
3. Have you ever (so far) changed your breeding goal(s)? Some because everyday I learn more. At first I wanted just certain colors, but now I breed for bigger, and better quality and temperment.
4. How do you decide which Chinchilla should be bred to which? Color, size and fur mostly.
5. What, overall, do you hope to accomplish through breeding? I am pretty happy with the way things are, however I wish I had some rounder/blockier chins, and some with nicer fur. But, I simply and not the type that can cull... What's here is here for the most part, and whatever I lose (God forbid) I will only get new ones that FULLY meet my critera for breeding awesome chins.
Well it started 4 years ago and I desperately wanted a pet, something to love. I am handicapped and was 22 at the time and I believe my nesting instinct was (still is) kicking in. At the time we had NO pets (but have always been pet lovers, but my mom lost 2 wonderful cats and swore we'd never own a pet again. We didn't have any for 8 years.) I got hamsters first... but they didn't fill my desire. I then found chins... I got my first 6 at a pet store not knowing it wasn't "kosher". For the first few months I did nothing but read forums. I then decided I wanted to breed and started getting better pedigreed chins. I now have 22, and still have 4 out of 6 of my pet store chins. Gizmo and Gidget, and Mikey and Angel. My house is now full of pets! We have 2 cats again, the chins, 3 Prairie Dogs, and now my complete fulfillment... my service dog Nellie.

Misty

Silver Mist Studios

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Custom Designer Jewelry, Handmade Lampwork Glass Beads and More!

Eyes Of Texas Chinchillas

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Tags
breeding pair, brown velvet, pet owner, pet store, prairie dog, prairie dogs