What hay would you use? - Paw Talk - Pet Forums
Chinchilla Discussion Twitching whiskers, fluffy tails, silky soft fur and all else chinchilla!

View Poll Results: Which hay would you use?
American Pet Diner 0 0%
Kleenmama's 1 16.67%
Other (Please specify) 5 83.33%
Voters: 6. You may not vote on this poll

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 20 (permalink) Old 06-28-2005, 11:33 PM Thread Starter
Tiny Grosskisser

What hay would you use?

Ok....so here's the thing. One of my chillas isn't too fond of the hay. He was a big hay eater, and just stopped one day. I've been back and forth to the vet with him, and I'll be taking him soon again to the vet, but I was just wondering what kind of hay you would recommend? Other than Oxbow, which is what I'm using now.

Karen

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

[
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 20 (permalink) Old 06-28-2005, 11:45 PM
Paw-Talk Lifer

I've used both and liked both. I'd recommend whatever is cheaper for you to get.

Stephanie

post #3 of 20 (permalink) Old 06-29-2005, 08:15 AM
Movin' Up in the Pack

I usually use Oxbow but decided to try Kleenmama's this last time and have liked it too. I haven't tried American Pet Diner, though.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 20 (permalink) Old 06-29-2005, 08:27 AM Thread Starter
Tiny Grosskisser

Ok, after rereading my post, I should have been more specific myself!

I should have put "what hay would you recommend to get him to start eating it again." Hehe. Sorry about that.

Karen

[

post #5 of 20 (permalink) Old 06-29-2005, 08:28 AM Thread Starter
Tiny Grosskisser

Quote:
Originally Posted by indychinchick
I usually use Oxbow but decided to try Kleenmama's this last time and have liked it too. I haven't tried American Pet Diner, though.
Katie, which one did you try? The bluegrass? The regular timothy? I'm just trying to figure out which one to get for him that will make him want to eat it.

Karen

[

post #6 of 20 (permalink) Old 06-29-2005, 10:05 AM
Chim-Chim GizzardFanny!

I'd have to say resort to kaytee from the pet stores. I tried Kleenmama's and was no where near satisfied with it. The chins didn't like it either, I had to feed it all to the rabbit and she didn't eat it fast enough so I had to throw it away. We really weren't too thrilled with Oxbow either. Right now we're giving them Kaytee brand hay from the pet-store. Our petstore has these super huge bags (96 oz) and even tho we pay more for them that getting 50 lbs from somewhere else, I can SEE what i'm buying. I can make sure I get green hay that isn't a bunch of crumbs. We have 21 chinchillas and letting them have hay 24/7 we can get away with buying 3 bags everyother week. Sometimes less.

I'd rather pay more for something I know is good than get 50 lbs of brown, dusty hay and not have anything to do with it.
And, my chins LOVE kaytee. So seeing them gobble it up is worth the money for me.

Alicyn

post #7 of 20 (permalink) Old 06-29-2005, 12:02 PM
Part of the Pack

I've never tried APD, but Kleenmama's hay is great quality. From what I recall the timothy was pretty similar to what you get with Oxbow, except maybe a little more stiff. My chins liked both the bluegrass and timothy from her. I'd order a small bag of bluegrass for your chin and see what he (or she?) thinks. Oxbow is really good hay so I'm not sure why they don't like it.

I usually buy western timothy by the bale at my feed store, maybe you could buy a flake off a bale and try that. My chins LOVE their hay from the feed store and it's much more affordable for me.

post #8 of 20 (permalink) Old 06-29-2005, 12:57 PM Thread Starter
Tiny Grosskisser

Kim, unfortunately for me, we don't have a feed store close at hand that I'm aware of.

I may just order some from Kleenmama's and see what he thinks. If he doesn't like it, at least I didn't order a lot to go to waste! I'm going to buy some of the hay that I use to feed them and see if he eats that!

As far as the other chinnies go, they eat the Oxbow hay, it's just not him. I am going to take him to the vet soon to have him checked out. I'm going to make them take a stool sample and test it, and do anything else to figure this out. I just am at a loss for why he's not eating!

Karen

[

post #9 of 20 (permalink) Old 06-29-2005, 01:17 PM
Misses Her Smilie Titles

Have you ever tried putting treats in the hay? That way your chinnie has to get some of the hay while finding the treat? Just a thought...
post #10 of 20 (permalink) Old 06-29-2005, 01:24 PM Thread Starter
Tiny Grosskisser

Natalie, I would...but my chins are little bugger butts. They'd throw the hay out looking for the treats. Hehe.

Karen

[

post #11 of 20 (permalink) Old 06-29-2005, 02:03 PM
Curmudgeon

As an ex "farm boy", I'm always amazed at buying some things in a store that we used to have waaaay too much of (or at least it SEEMED that way when we had to put up hay in the barn!)

Have you ever explored the option of buying hay from a local farmer?

You could try your local County Extension Office for someone who grows a sells hay by the individual bale.

Another option would be to contact the local 4H chapter. Some of them grow hay for competitions, and they might be willing to part with some excess.

Depending on where you are, you can get Timothy, Orchard Grass, Coastal, etc. It's all good stuff, and comparable in nutrition. We buy tons (literally) at the zoo, of timothy and alfalfa.

If stored in a dry place, hay retains it's nutrition well. A garage or basement would do fine. You might also have a friend who would be interested in buying a bale with you. Even if you do have some waste, it still be a lot cheaper than what you get in the store.

My
Bob

The Mistress
"Cogito Ergo Zoom"
I think, therefore I drive fast.
post #12 of 20 (permalink) Old 06-29-2005, 02:06 PM
Misses Her Smilie Titles

Is there anything you actually know nothing about, Bob?
post #13 of 20 (permalink) Old 06-29-2005, 02:06 PM
Angel to Abandoned Puppies

Well, our local places here don't get Timothy hay and since the pellets are alfalfa based that is what I prefer to get. So, I order from Kleenmama. I have never been disappointed in the hay I get from her.

MCBA Member

I've Been Frosted
post #14 of 20 (permalink) Old 06-29-2005, 03:24 PM
Curmudgeon

Quote:
Originally Posted by Millimi
Is there anything you actually know nothing about, Bob?
Natalie,

Isn't it obvious??

Like all men...

I know nothing about women!

(Just ask my wife! )

Bob

The Mistress
"Cogito Ergo Zoom"
I think, therefore I drive fast.
post #15 of 20 (permalink) Old 06-29-2005, 03:31 PM
Misses Her Smilie Titles

Tags
hay cubes, pet store, pet stores, timothy hay