What Next? Is this a fungus? - Paw Talk - Pet Forums
Chinchilla Discussion Twitching whiskers, fluffy tails, silky soft fur and all else chinchilla!

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 12 (permalink) Old 06-17-2002, 07:40 PM
Lycidas

What Next? Is this a fungus?

Wanzi's leg is finally getting bettr - but now I think he has some sort of fungus due to not getting his dust baths. I have tried to take a few pics. The skin is not red - it's blue. He has a bald blue spot on his head next to his ear, some blue spots on his bad leg which was already bald and a few scabs on the underside of his tail. He is also losing fur on the back of the good leg and has a small spot on the edge of his ear. I have been applying Tinactin once a day since I noticed this on Saturday night and while it's helping his tail - the other spots look the same. Can anyone help me?

Here's a pic of the ear.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg ear.jpg (21.8 KB, 71 views)

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 12 (permalink) Old 06-17-2002, 07:41 PM
Lycidas

Here's his tail and feet (the healing leg is on the left.)
Attached Images
File Type: jpg tailandfoot.jpg (42.4 KB, 73 views)

post #3 of 12 (permalink) Old 06-17-2002, 07:42 PM
Lycidas

And here's the spot on his head. The blue part is off to the right.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg head.jpg (25.3 KB, 66 views)

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 12 (permalink) Old 06-18-2002, 08:55 AM

I would take him back to the vet. It looks like there is something going on there.
post #5 of 12 (permalink) Old 06-18-2002, 10:46 AM

It diffently looks like some kind of fungus going on there.
post #6 of 12 (permalink) Old 06-18-2002, 03:13 PM
Resident Chatroom Blonde

I do hope things start getting better for your little guy

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #7 of 12 (permalink) Old 06-21-2002, 08:12 AM
Lycidas

I took Wanzi to the vet last night - pretty sure it's not ringworm, none of the spots are red, they are blue - he thinks it's definitely some type of "colettes" (in dogs) or bacterial infection and prescribed Nystatin in liquid form - I haven't given him any yet because I want to be sure it won't hurt him.. do you know if it's safe??

post #8 of 12 (permalink) Old 06-21-2002, 01:07 PM
Fertile Myrtle

I found this online - maybe someone else can tell us whether or not any of these ingredients are harmful:

Nystatin is an antimycotic polyene antibiotic obtained from Streptomyces noursei.

Each mL contains 100,000 units of Nystatin in a vehicle containing 50% w/v sucrose with the following inactive ingredients: sodium citrate, glycerin, cherry flavor, carboxymethylcellulose sodium, peppermint flavor, citric acid, alcohol (less than 1% w/v), purified water. Citric acid and/or sodium hydroxide may be added to adjust pH (5.3-7.5).

PRESERVATIVES ADDED: Methylparaben 0.12%, Propylparaben 0.03%.
LINK

Wife to an amazing man,
mom to three wonderful kids (9, 5.10, 4),
2 dogs, 3 hermit crabs and 2 bettas

|

post #9 of 12 (permalink) Old 07-10-2002, 02:39 AM

Nystatin is a very good and safe antifungal. It is not absorbed into the bloodstream, so it cannot cause liver and kidney damage. I do not know the dosages. Oral nystatin will not help fur fungus. They do sell a nystantin cream for topical use that might help, but I cant imagin a chin enjoying that. I think that they use Grifulvin oral medication for fur fungus. I would see if the vet had anything for topical use first.
best of luck!
Jennifer
post #10 of 12 (permalink) Old 07-10-2002, 01:10 PM
Lycidas

Quote:
Originally posted by Jennifer
Nystatin is a very good and safe antifungal. Oral nystatin will not help fur fungus.
You contradicted yourself here. And I'd like to add that the Nystatin has indeed worked wonders and my boy shows no signs of fungus!! All his hair has grown back and he looks great!! His leg is also all better. Thank you all for your help.

post #11 of 12 (permalink) Old 07-10-2002, 01:40 PM
Member formerly known as MistyLea21

Yes that chin should probably be on griseofluvin. Fur fungus and ringworm are really gray in comparison. Both can show up in many different forms. None of my chins that had "ringworm" tested positive for "ringworm", but the skin fungus' of that nature are basically all the same and griseofluvin can be prescribed for any type of fungal bacteria. That's what it's for, for ringworm (which is a fungal bacteria) or any other fungal bacteria. The Tinactin should help. The active ingedient in it is 1% tolfanate which treats fungus' and prevents. It takes a LONG time to get rid of the fungal bacteria in chins because it can live without a host on anything the chin touches for up to 3 weeks. You probably wont see any results in the chin unless you get him on an oral and continue the tinactin. It takes a long time for fur to start growing back. Once he is showing signs of improvement, stop using the cream and put a teaspoon of tinactin powder in his dustbath.

Misty

Silver Mist Studios

Custom Designer Jewelry, Handmade Lampwork Glass Beads and More!

Eyes Of Texas Chinchillas

post #12 of 12 (permalink) Old 07-10-2002, 02:33 PM

re:quote

That was not a contradiction, there are many types of fungus.
I am glad to hear that your chin is doing better.
If oral nystatin worked that is becaulse your chin had an overgrowth of many differient kinds of fungus and its imune system could not keep up. By eliminating intestinal fungus the imune system was able to focus on the fur fungus over growth. The nystayin did not kill the fur fungus your chins immune system did!
I am glad the nystatin is helping.
Jennifer

Tags
dust bath, dust baths