What would you do? - Paw Talk - Pet Forums
Chinchilla Discussion Twitching whiskers, fluffy tails, silky soft fur and all else chinchilla!

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 11 (permalink) Old 08-28-2002, 11:21 PM Thread Starter

What would you do?

Another breeder/friend here where I live recently sold a perfectly healthy 5 month old chinchilla to a individual that expressed that they had other chinchillas and knew how to properly care for them. My friend felt totally safe selling to the individual, she met the person and the chinchilla left with the buyer in perfectly good condition, my friend told this person to use the air conditioning in the car on the drive home, upon arriving back at her house she received an email from the buyer saying that the chinchilla had died on the way home. The buyer did not use ac on the drive to meet my friend (this was obvious by the sweat and red face) the buyer did turn the ac on minutes (1-2)before the chinchilla was put into the car) the buyer stated in the email that the chins fur was cool but the skin was very hot(therefore making us believe the ac was only turned on for my friends satisfaction but turned back off). Therefore this breeder, a rancher and I all feel that this chinchilla died from buyers negligence.

The question is what would you do? Would you replace the chinchilla? Refund the money? Or let her take the loss?

My friend and I have successfully transported chinchillas twice as far in the middle of the summer in an air conditioned vehicle and never had problems.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 11 (permalink) Old 08-28-2002, 11:27 PM

Not to be such a devil's advocate (what else is new) but could it possibly have be just sheer fear and stress of the car ride? That is a really hard decision. I might replace the chinchilla. I don't think I would refund the money. For all we know the person could be lying about the death. (It seems awful to do but I wont put anything past anyone anymore!)
post #3 of 11 (permalink) Old 08-28-2002, 11:35 PM
Resident Chatroom Blonde

That would be a tough decision.I have traveled 4 hours with a pair of chins and the female was due any day.I had no problem with either of them as far as being stressed but they were kept cool and were petted and talked to all the way home.If I felt it was the buyers negelect which souinds like it was I would let her take the loss.I would be afraid if she took another it would suffer the same death.I have never sold a chin to anyone and I am still learning about them.This is just my opinion.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 11 (permalink) Old 08-29-2002, 12:27 AM

How often do chins die from stress? This is what i'd ask myself.
post #5 of 11 (permalink) Old 08-29-2002, 01:35 AM

All 10 of my chins have spent at least 4 hours in the car (I live in the middle of nowhere), most being in 100+ degree weather w/car ac and all are perfectly fine. I have heard that chinchillas are easily stressed also, but through the above said trips, all were fine. I really think they turned the a/c off after they left. I think that the chins skin was hot is a good indication that the poor thing overheated. If it were me, I would feel like the person owed ME something for killing one of my animals! IMO buyers negligence all the way.
post #6 of 11 (permalink) Old 08-29-2002, 08:03 AM
Fertile Myrtle

I, too, have moved my chins many times - once we drove 10 hours with a VERY pregnant Alice and she was fine.

IMO this is complete buyer's negligence and there is no way in **** I would refund the money or give her another chinchilla to kill.

Wife to an amazing man,
mom to three wonderful kids (9, 5.10, 4),
2 dogs, 3 hermit crabs and 2 bettas

|

post #7 of 11 (permalink) Old 08-29-2002, 09:11 AM

I have moved chins accross country (WI to Louisiana and Louisiana to New York). Maureen (my epliletic, neurotic chinchilla) went from Louisiana to New York without incident. I do not know how often stress death occurs, but I have not had a problem with it.

Patti
post #8 of 11 (permalink) Old 08-29-2002, 10:23 AM Thread Starter

We don't think that it was stress that killed her. We believe that it was heat related by the comment that the buyer made "Her fur was cool but her skin was hot".

Thanks to all that have replied.
post #9 of 11 (permalink) Old 08-29-2002, 10:59 AM
Paw-Talk Lifer

I'm a bit late here, I know, but I wanted to say that I agree with everyone else. I had Kinjin & Fivel in my car for the entire 8 hour trip home from Christi's, with no problem at all. Granted, I ran the a/c the whole time, but when I would get out to get gas, obviously I had to turn the car off. They were fine for that 5 minutes without the a/c -- it generally takes temps above 80 degrees to kill a chinchilla ... I think the a/c was deliberately not used and would NOT refund the money OR replace the chin.

Stephanie

post #10 of 11 (permalink) Old 08-29-2002, 11:01 AM
buny2phat

That wasn't a very nice person for letting the baby die. Just because she didn't put on the AC in the car she lose a perfectly healthy baby. I would be soo mad. How could anyone who says they know about chins not put on the AC knowing that is has been so hot lately and that they are very sesitive to the heat. I know that I am new to this and all but that was very selfish of the person to do that to the poor baby. The baby didn't know what it was getting into and neither did anyone eles but the new owner.
I have traveled back and forth with my boys and they seem to be fine, that is as longs as I turn on my AC in the car. I would be very upset at the person who did that and I wouldn't do anything for their lose. It was there neglect that made the baby die and they should pay for the price of not caring for the chin. If I were to replace it I would be very afraid that they would do the samething over agian.
This is just my opinion, do what every your heart tells you to do. Follow your instinct(?).
I am so sad to hear that a baby had to died.

post #11 of 11 (permalink) Old 08-29-2002, 01:46 PM
Member formerly known as MistyLea21

Sassy, I would definately let the buyer take the loss unless she could show some good evidence that this chin did not die from heat exaustion. I mean c'mon! If the chin seemed in perfect health when he left, and then boom he dies. That shows negligence. Also, chins that are young do not get stressed as easy as older chins, that is why it is not quite as safe to ship or move a chin over a year old. A older chin more set in their ways can stress way easier. I wouldn't even consider stress a factor in this case. She shows proof, sure, a refund or replacement. But until then, no.

Misty

Silver Mist Studios

Custom Designer Jewelry, Handmade Lampwork Glass Beads and More!

Eyes Of Texas Chinchillas