What's Easiest? - Paw Talk - Pet Forums
Chinchilla Discussion Twitching whiskers, fluffy tails, silky soft fur and all else chinchilla!

View Poll Results: What's easiest to introduce?
Male to male 10 62.50%
Male to Female 4 25.00%
Female to female 2 12.50%
Voters: 16. You may not vote on this poll

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 15 (permalink) Old 09-23-2002, 12:35 PM Thread Starter
Fertile Myrtle

What's Easiest?

I have a customer who bought a male kit from me a few months ago. She now would like a cagemate for him. I suggested that another male would be the best choice for a few reasons:

1. Males tend to be easier to introduce, especially when they're both young and no other females are around.

2. This would avoid breeding/neutering issues since I think she should wait a bit before trying to breed as she's only owned a chinchilla for a few months.

3. Males tend to be more friendly - at least compared to the females all of mine are. And the chins are ultimately her daughters pets so friendly is important.

The thing is another chin owner has told her horror stories of having to return chins because she couldn't get the males to get along. But in my experience it is much easier to intro 2 males than 2 females or a male and a female. So, I thought I would do a poll and see what everyone else's experiences have been.

Thanks!

Wife to an amazing man,
mom to three wonderful kids (9, 5.10, 4),
2 dogs, 3 hermit crabs and 2 bettas

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
|
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 15 (permalink) Old 09-23-2002, 12:45 PM
Akasha

although i don't own chins i think by the sounds of it she should try 2 males.

post #3 of 15 (permalink) Old 09-23-2002, 12:56 PM

I find that two males are easier to work with than two females, especially when there are no other chins around. I agree that females tend to get *****y and territorial. The best combo of two females is sisters. Actually, the best combinations seem to be families (father and son or brothers). Mother and daughter sometimes works.

Of course, I have a mom, dad, and son thing going on and it works pretty well. The boys like to get into it every once in a while, but they don't get too far. I think that this sort of reverse trio only works with neutered males though.

As far a boy and girl, that is entirely up to the two of them. Mike and Maureen did not work. Mike and Alice and Maureen and Max work pretty well.

So the best advice I can give to your friend is to get another boy. If she has a dominanat male, get a submissive. If a submission, either a dominant or a submissive will work.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 15 (permalink) Old 09-23-2002, 02:25 PM

I only have males so for me they were very easy to introduce. After a year though there was some trouble and the one needed to be separated. They now live side by side and seem to like it that way much better.
post #5 of 15 (permalink) Old 09-23-2002, 07:05 PM
Neuroticah

i agree to two males

post #6 of 15 (permalink) Old 09-23-2002, 08:12 PM

I can't vote, so I just wanted to pop in. My personal opinion is, although I love my girls, over all the boys are more friendly to people and each other, I'd definetly try another male. Does she understand though that some chins are just loners and are happier alone?
post #7 of 15 (permalink) Old 09-24-2002, 11:40 AM Thread Starter
Fertile Myrtle

I don't think so Becki. I explained that if you're playing with him every day and giving him attention there's not really a need for a mate and that when you do give him a mate, it's very likely that neither of them will want to interact with you as much!

Wife to an amazing man,

|

post #8 of 15 (permalink) Old 09-24-2002, 02:18 PM
Desdemona

So long as both males are young and there are no females in the room....

When I introduced two young adult males to one another with a female around, one male almost killed the other.

Just an FYI

post #9 of 15 (permalink) Old 09-24-2002, 03:48 PM

I mistook what you said about returning chins because they didn't get along, I thought that was your customer who did that. I would be a little concerned that your person might do that if a new chin didn't get along with the one she has. Except for my fur farm boys, all of my single chins are more friendly than the pairs (more spoiled too!).
post #10 of 15 (permalink) Old 09-24-2002, 05:02 PM Thread Starter
Fertile Myrtle

I sent her the link to this thread so she could see some of the comments and opinions herself. I do hope she'll go with a male - I just really feel it'd be best for all involved in the long run.

Wife to an amazing man,

|

post #11 of 15 (permalink) Old 09-24-2002, 08:16 PM

Quote:
1. Males tend to be easier to introduce, especially when they're both young and no other females are around.
I agree 100%.

Quote:
2. This would avoid breeding/neutering issues since I think she should wait a bit before trying to breed as she's only owned a chinchilla for a few months.
I see so many people that want one chin then another (opposite sex) and before to long they have 5 pairs in breeding because they think that breeding a chinchilla is a get make money quick scheme. For most of us we know that it is not.

Quote:
3. Males tend to be more friendly - at least compared to the females all of mine are. And the chins are ultimately her daughters pets so friendly is important.
My males seem to be easier to calm down and let us hold them then our females do. Having a friendly chin is a must with small children around.

Quote:
The thing is another chin owner has told her horror stories of having to return chins because she couldn't get the males to get along.
I would suggest if a person is going to own more than one chinchilla then they should own more than one cage whether the chins are to be caged together or not. Why return a male just because they can't or won't be caged together? I would cage them seperately so that I could still enjoy both of them. JMO
post #12 of 15 (permalink) Old 10-05-2002, 06:04 PM

I'm a bit late, but I've had experince with introducing males to male, and females to females.....here is what happened with me:

Jasper And Digit(m/m)
There was barely any fighting, the first day they "agrued" a little bit, but nothing more than chasing and a little nipping, no blood, only a tiny tiny bit of fur. They were introduced when both were almost 3 months old. To this day, they get along GREAT. They were in the cage together, the same day I got both of them. they've been together a year and 4 months.
Moose, Mocha and Espresso(m/m/m)

Moose was the agressier out of the three. He gave Espresso a few nips, and a bloody ear. Mocha just lost some fur, the others really didn't fight back. it took me about a week to get them together where I could trust them. Moch and Espresso were 3 months, almost 4. Moose was almost 5 months old. They get along GREAT now, and have been together for 4 months, and have been no problems.

Naomi and Danica(f/f)
My easiest introduction, by far. Both girls were only about 10 days away from being 5 months old. They never met before, are not related, from two different breeders. It was litearlly, love at first site. I put them together the same day, and minutes later, they were together, cuddling. I had NO fighting, no chasing, no niping, nothing. Everything went fine. I was actually pretty amazed that things went this well, beings they are females, and both are "older". They've been together a week today, and still there haven't been any problems at all between them. They act like they are long lost sisters, or like they've been together since day 1. (attached is a picture of them, just after I put them together)
post #13 of 15 (permalink) Old 10-10-2002, 02:46 PM
Super Soaker Snot Ball Shooter

I had a WAAAAAAAAYYYYYYYY easier time introducing f/f than m/m. I got a second male for the sole purpose of being a cage mate to my first male. Over 1 1/2 years later they still live in separate cages. I think my first male is just anit-social toward other chins and happier being alone. Funny thing is, he's my friendliest one out of the 4. Go figure

I tried introducing them in a neutral area (bath tub) and Dozer chased Fred the whole time, even grabbing on to Fred and trying to bite.

I did the same thing with my girls and they were more concerned about getting out of the tub than trying to fight. After 15 minutes in the tub without fighting I put them into the cage and they immediately started cuddling and grooming each other.

Rhonda

post #14 of 15 (permalink) Old 07-09-2003, 08:46 AM

My only success so far has been two girls. They grew up together since they were like 7 weeks and still have little squabbles. All it is is someone pulled an ear or sat on the other. My other females get along realtively well but I wouldn't trust them in a cage with each other 24/7.

Now my boys. We tried to introduce them, they were both fairly young, 4 and 5months but whew. They didn't want it! We had a little...flying pee...and killer chinchillas there. It was not going to happen. But then again we have 6 other girls in the house. I figure that's why.

I will soon get to see how easy it is to introduce males and females...5 1/2 weeks once the boys are out of quarantine.
post #15 of 15 (permalink) Old 07-09-2003, 08:35 PM
Proud New Mommy

the only chins i've introduced were 2 females from christi... they got along PERFECT from day one- i dont know if it was because they BOTH went along for the long car ride home or just that they are both very easy to get along with...

the breeder im getting my other male and female from has had the roughest time trying to get one female and one male together that she said shes wondering if they'll ever deal with eachother.. (they still even havnt been in the same cage..just side by side and there's arguing going on) she said the main problem was her female fussing at her male... i've always heard that males were more passive than females but i havnt really had personal experience beside my two girls...

(christi, i LOVE your pic!!)

"Live your beliefs and you can turn the world around"- Henry David Thoreau

Tags
cage mate, neutered male, separate cages