wheel - Paw Talk - Pet Forums
Chinchilla Discussion Twitching whiskers, fluffy tails, silky soft fur and all else chinchilla!

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 8 (permalink) Old 10-02-2006, 08:02 PM Thread Starter

Question wheel

hey all! i was just wondering...i have a wheel but everytime i attempt to put it in BV-Andy's cage for him to use he just acts dumb...i'm not sure how to teach him how to use it He's approx. 4 years old so he's not a baby but he's never ever had a wheel before (the people before me that owned him never bought him one) but i've successfully taught him to run around in his 'run about ball' and he LOVES it!! hehe. so i'm sure there must be a way for him to get exercise in his cage as he wants it...right??!?!

hopefully i can teach an 'old chin new tricks'
thnx
Tara
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 8 (permalink) Old 10-02-2006, 08:11 PM
Fluffy Gerbilshorts

Maybe he's just not interested in it.

*Missy*
post #3 of 8 (permalink) Old 10-03-2006, 11:01 AM

Sometimes it takes a while for them to figure it out on their own. Its like that with hammocks too. It might just happen one day.

Make sure you have a wheel that is solid metal (not metal spokes) and it should be big enough for him to run in without bending his back too much.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 8 (permalink) Old 10-04-2006, 01:05 AM
RAT ADDICT

I know just about nothing on chins,but I have heard that wheels and run about balls are bad for chinchillas.

* Lisa *

* To the world you are ONE person,but to a rat you are the world *

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

* It's a rat thing...you wouldn't understand! *
post #5 of 8 (permalink) Old 10-04-2006, 01:10 AM

I have heard only negative things about both too.I was too scared to get one for either of my chinchillas.Lots of people seem to have them tho...I'm guessing like the wheel on martins cages? That seems to be the only "safe" kind i think.
I get a bit,idk, i'm hesitant on the idea of wheels& run around balls for chinchillas,but thats just me! Like I said if it's a big enough wheel,like I saw on martins cages,& another site,I guess ok...but not the wire ones or saucer kind,those I worry over.

Maybe the chilla really has no interest in it...?
Seems like a possibility...but then again maybe he just needs a bit of time to figure it out

Last edited by candyraver; 10-04-2006 at 01:13 AM.
post #6 of 8 (permalink) Old 10-04-2006, 08:12 PM
Paw-Talk Lifer

Wheels are fine provided they are the proper kind. Plastic wheels or really anything plastic is not a good idea because they will chew it. Metal wheels are fine, provided they don't have spokes, as was mentioned earlier. They need to be at least 11" in diameter, preferrably 15".
http://www.qualitycage.com/chinaccess.html
This site has two wheels that are safe for chinchillas. I've never seen a chinchilla safe wheel in a pet store.
If it's a safe wheel, you can leave it permanently in the cage. Some will figure it out, some never do - it's up to the individual chin. Every single one of mine that have had access to a 'Flying Saucer' wheel has figured it out, but it did take a couple of weeks.

The balls are a huge risk to them, however. They tend to overheat very quickly and many a chin have died in them. In fact, I hand raised two babies who were orphaned because their owner had mom in a ball and she died when they were a week old. I do not recommend them whatsoever.

Stephanie

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #7 of 8 (permalink) Old 10-05-2006, 09:15 AM

Agreed. Chin balls are a bad idea.

However I do have some advice for teaching the chinnie in the wheel (I'm hoping it's a safe wheel). I don't know how easy it would be to teach a chinnie but for my degus I taught them to run in the wheel by getting them in the wheel and then holding a small treat so that they have to walk in the wheel to get it. If you break up one of their normal treats (for example a bite size shredded wheat) into smaller peices you can try it a few times and maybe they'll get the hang of it Good luck!
post #8 of 8 (permalink) Old 10-05-2006, 10:01 AM Thread Starter

thnx everyone, great feedback however andy just would rather run around in his safe room w/out ball or wheel or anything so i'll stick to that.

Tags
pet store, shredded wheat