A Whimpering Chin - Paw Talk - Pet Forums
Chinchilla Discussion Twitching whiskers, fluffy tails, silky soft fur and all else chinchilla!

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 12 (permalink) Old 01-14-2007, 06:23 PM Thread Starter

Unhappy A Whimpering Chin

I have a 7 year old black velvet chinchilla, Dewy. All of a sudden he seems to whimper alot. Nothing has changed in the house or his house. I talked to a vet and he has no ideas of why. He said since he is eating the same, pooping regular (all of the time as usual), sleeping normal and doesn't make strange sounds when felt to see if anything feels different I shouldn't worry. But I do. I've never heard him do this before. Any suggestions!! Sixty5PanRdr
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 12 (permalink) Old 01-14-2007, 09:57 PM

Whimpering..

that calling out noise they do, is normal. Some do it more than others. Just pay careful attention to food/water intake and activity level. Those are usually the first indicators of a problem, when those change.. And watch stool size,etc. There are a variety of sounds chins make that are perfectly normal. If they suddenly start acting very off though, that's usually an indication of something.
post #3 of 12 (permalink) Old 01-15-2007, 05:20 PM

Hailey wimpers when she wants attention, but she hates coming out of her cage...until she is out. But like the above says, it is normal chin chatter!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 12 (permalink) Old 01-15-2007, 07:17 PM Thread Starter

The Whimpering Chin

THANK YOU!!! I feel much better now. Like I said everything is else is normal with Dewy. THANKS again!!!!!!!! Sixty5PanRider
post #5 of 12 (permalink) Old 01-16-2007, 11:16 AM
Kansas City Chinchillas

Yup Dewy is looking for attention

Cathy
Kansas City Chinchillas

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #6 of 12 (permalink) Old 01-25-2007, 04:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by HaileyS
Hailey wimpers when she wants attention, but she hates coming out of her cage...until she is out. But like the above says, it is normal chin chatter!
Andy does the same thing, i tried to let him come out on his own last nite and he absolutely would NOT. so he stayed in his cage (if i trie to grab him, he ran around like a crazy man!) I wish he'd tame down!! but love him anyways
post #7 of 12 (permalink) Old 01-25-2007, 09:08 PM Thread Starter

Talking The Whimpering Chin

Dewy has not whimpered in about a week now. I have to say he is a tame chin. He follows me around the house by me snapping my fingers. If he is out running around, I tell him to check in and he comes running and jumps up on my lap. He has the "Winnie The Pooh" stuffed guys from the Happy Meals from McDonalds from a long time ago and when he gets his treat at night I tell him to go get Tigger, Owl, or Piglett and he gets which ever one I ask for and then I tell him to dance with them and he holds them to his chest and spins around in a circle. I got him a wheel a couple of years ago and taught him to run for food. He is a GREAT chin that I love with all of my heart. Trust me, it took awhile to train him to do these things but he's a smart one.
post #8 of 12 (permalink) Old 01-27-2007, 04:52 PM
Will It Ever Change?

wow i'm so happy! congrats

"If you can't change your fate, change your attitude." - Amy Tan
post #9 of 12 (permalink) Old 02-06-2007, 09:35 AM

WOW! I wish I could tame my chins. I have had Hailey for about 9 months and she refuses to be tamed. I have tried with treats and she is just very independent. Then I got Henry and he is so funny, he is more tame but once he is out of the cage he is out of control! Hailey is calm when she comes out, but Henry is rediculous! Any suggestions on how to tame them? I know it takes a lot of time, but I am willing to do whatever.
post #10 of 12 (permalink) Old 02-06-2007, 02:33 PM
Title Thief Victim

YAYY congrats!

Carissasaurus Rex
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #11 of 12 (permalink) Old 02-06-2007, 03:28 PM

sounds like dewey is an awsome pet i absalutely love it when they are tame like that how'd you get him to be this way

my ferret has tons of the mcydies stuffed animals and he loves them he wont let the little ferret touch them he hisses at him when he has one of his stuffies
post #12 of 12 (permalink) Old 02-06-2007, 08:46 PM Thread Starter

I got Dewy when he was 5 weeks old and started with him the day I brought him home. My husband and I are still teaching him new things to do. I found that he would do anything for a rasin. Now, anything for a piece of mango. Once I started on something I did not quit until he got it. He is 7 now and still learing. When he is out and doing something he shouldn't be doing, my husband or I can say "No Dewy!" and he will stop. He is running for food right now. I am in the computer room where his food is and as soon as he saw me walk down the hall he started running. It's a lot of work but it CAN be done. Don't give up!

Tags
black velvet, stuffed animal, stuffed animals