will my chins mate if there is a large age difference? - Paw Talk - Pet Forums
Chinchilla Discussion Twitching whiskers, fluffy tails, silky soft fur and all else chinchilla!

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 18 (permalink) Old 10-04-2002, 09:11 PM
terry

will my chins mate if there is a large age difference?

simba (male) and nala(female) are 3 years apart. is it feasable. i didnt buy nala to breed with simba but i was just wondering if there was a chance and how much of one. by the way, neither has ever mated before (that i know of).

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 18 (permalink) Old 10-04-2002, 09:16 PM
Queenie

The chances are extremely high that they will mate. You must not have them together huh???

post #3 of 18 (permalink) Old 10-04-2002, 09:18 PM
terry

well nala is only 6 months old.
thats to young right?

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 18 (permalink) Old 10-04-2002, 09:22 PM
Fertile Myrtle

WAY too young!! She should be at least 9-12 months old. And let me suggest you do a lot of research before deciding to let them breed. It's not as easy as it seems.

Wife to an amazing man,
mom to three wonderful kids (9, 5.10, 4),
2 dogs, 3 hermit crabs and 2 bettas

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
|
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #5 of 18 (permalink) Old 10-04-2002, 09:22 PM

YES Diffently to young for breeding. She should be atleast 10 months old to be put into breeding.

I wait until my females are 10 months and above 600 grams.
post #6 of 18 (permalink) Old 10-04-2002, 10:22 PM

If they are put together they most certainly will breed.
post #7 of 18 (permalink) Old 10-04-2002, 10:25 PM
terry

well, i only bought nala as a companion for simba. my intentions are not to breed them. i was just wondering if it was even possible. with the age difference and all. Also, I have been letting them play(for excercise) together at night. I havent seen any discharge or plug. Could it be too late.

post #8 of 18 (permalink) Old 10-04-2002, 10:28 PM

I would not recommend that you allow them to play together, at this age or any other age if you don't want to breed.
post #9 of 18 (permalink) Old 10-04-2002, 10:31 PM
terry

not really that i dont want to breed, just it was not my intentions.
simba was lonely and i was told that with his age it would be best to pair him with a female instead of a male.

post #10 of 18 (permalink) Old 10-04-2002, 11:31 PM
Fertile Myrtle

That's not exactly accurate - actually it'd probably be easier to put him with another male.

Wife to an amazing man,

|

post #11 of 18 (permalink) Old 10-05-2002, 02:32 PM

If you think age is any barrier to mating in the chinchilla world, take 3 1/2 year old Maureen and 6 month old Max. Maureen had been with another male for a year and had never been pregnant. I knew the other male was fertile, so I assumed that Maureen was barren, but decided to get Max neutered just in case. In the meantime, I caged them together for a month. 3 1/2 months later, I found a little surprise baby. Thankfully, it was Max who was younger, so the pregnancy posed no risk to Maureen's health.

One option that you could explore is neutering Simba. I have had both Max and his son neutered with great success. However, Jade had a very bad experience with her male Elvis when the vet lied about his qualifications and botched the surgery completely. If you can find an exotics vet in your area who performs chin neuters and can give you references from amongst his actual patients, the procedure takes about 15 minutes and usually goes well. The biggest risk in a properly done neuter is the general anestesia in a small animal.

Lots to think about. Older males are a little harder to find friends for. They tend to be bachelors stuck in their ways.

Patti
post #12 of 18 (permalink) Old 10-05-2002, 02:53 PM
terry

simba and nala seem to get along great. I was wondering a couple more things. this may seem like a stupid question but, when were playing with simba he will try to hump everything in sight. what i assume was his male parts would protrude. that is why we assumed it was a male and we adopted him from a friend. the pet shop, however, said that this happens in both male and female chins. its almost like what happens to a male dog when he does, you know what!!! it goes back in when he stops.

also, when we adopted nala, she was four months old and already about 500 gm and is now much larger then simba at 6 months. im afraid she was impregnated at the pet shop. when i bought her she was healthy and happy and within a week she started sleeping all the time. she has not been with simba yet. what to do.

post #13 of 18 (permalink) Old 10-05-2002, 03:05 PM
Fertile Myrtle

First of all, that's a male thing, not something that both sexes do.

Next, you need to keep her away from him at all times if you suspect she is pregnant - for 111 days from the day you brought her home, maybe more, to rule out pregnancy. If you let them together and she may already be pregnant then you have no way of knowing who she mated with.

Wife to an amazing man,

|

post #14 of 18 (permalink) Old 10-05-2002, 03:17 PM
terry

they are not together anyway but my main concern is if she was impregnated at the pet shop she was only four months old. is she gonna be ok. i tried to contact an exotics vet to see if they would terminate a pregnancy but havent had any luck.

post #15 of 18 (permalink) Old 10-05-2002, 03:24 PM
Fertile Myrtle

If she was only four months old it is very likely that she will have major complications. That's just way too young and their bodies aren't developed enough. You will need to keep a close eye on her and have an emergency vet on hand in case she has a complicated labor.

Wife to an amazing man,

|

Tags
emergency vet, pet shop, pet store, pet stores