Will my rescued chinnie ever come around?! - Paw Talk - Pet Forums
Chinchilla Discussion Twitching whiskers, fluffy tails, silky soft fur and all else chinchilla!

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 2 (permalink) Old 01-08-2010, 12:41 AM Thread Starter
Newborn Pup

Unhappy Will my rescued chinnie ever come around?!

Hi, I have a male chin that was given to us about 3 1/2 years ago. He has lived with 2 other families before we got him and he has never really warmed up to us. He would let me pet his chin in the beginning but now he just wants to bite us! He barks at us when we come into the room and even after letting him play outside the cage, he starts charging at my feet when I try to put him back. I am not able to pet him or pick him up at all!! I have never taken him to the vet for checkups because I cannot get him into a carrier, and forget about the hair ring checks! I don't even know how I would attempt that! We have a female that he has mated with and they are kept in a separate cage form him. I am afraid to let them play together because 1. I don't want anymore babies and 2. He gets so aggressive I am afraid for the girls safety. I have thought about neutering, but would that make him "calmer"? Does anyone have any advice please?!
Thanks
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 2 (permalink) Old 01-08-2010, 02:45 AM
I'm not weird, I'm gifted

1. mating would be a bad idea both because he's aggressive and because he's a rescue.

2. You really need to stop letting him play outside the cage if you do not have some kind of relationship with him.

It sounds like you have to start all over with him.
Walk past the cage, and talk nice and soft to him. Try giving him treats trough the bars.
When he's okay whit that, you can begin opening the cage and have some treats in your hands. Let him come to you and crawl on you.

It my take a very long time, but it's the only way you can get anything done with him.

Depending on how you feel about the whole ting, you may want to think about getting him a new family.
This doesn't have anything to do with you failing or anything, but sometimes it just doesn't work between a specific chinchilla and human.

/Pia

I apologized if my english is not correct
Owned by chinchillas since 1997
Breeding since 2005

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
<-- Check out my blog for Chinfo
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Tags
bitting, chinchilla, rescued