Working with new chins - Paw Talk - Pet Forums
Chinchilla Discussion Twitching whiskers, fluffy tails, silky soft fur and all else chinchilla!

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 12 (permalink) Old 04-15-2004, 11:03 PM Thread Starter
Movin' Up in the Pack

Working with new chins

I just added 12 beautiful new greys to our breeding program. They range from 5 months to one yr. They haven't been handled in the past. I like for all my chins to be really tame but trying to tame 12 at a time is crazy. I must tell you though, I have a chin that hates me so far. She is a good aim with the tinkle. She squeaks very sweet and softly so I go over to talk to her and she squocks like a chicken, stands and spray!! I was touching her nose through the bars the other day but only after I made her tinkle her self dry (I hung a paper towel in front of the stream) She had her little paws against the cage and she tried to bite me and bit her own hand and wouldn't let go for a moment until she realized she had herself...what a nut. It will take some time for this one.

I have a cryer but she loves to be talked to and placed on my shoulder while I chatter away. She'll be comfy soon.

I like to spend time talking to them while they are in their cage and try giving them a treat and petting them and working my way up to carrying them around while I talk calmly. This works well for me. What methods have you all used when you got a new chin?

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Team Captain: Mother of 250 chinchillas!
New litters weekly...I must be nuts
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 12 (permalink) Old 04-16-2004, 11:15 AM
Kansas City Chinchillas

It seems to be different with each ranch chin I get. Feeding oatmeal from you hand is nice if the chin will even get near your hand. Talking softly like you do works wonders and takes patience. I recently got a standard female, I tried to get her to eat a raisin. I could actually put the raisin into her mouth and she wouldn't even chew it. When she finally moved, it would drop out of her mouth. I think she thought that as long as she didn't move I couldn't see her. She is doing really well now and has become friendly, still a bit jumpy but a vast improvement.
post #3 of 12 (permalink) Old 04-16-2004, 12:26 PM
User Is No Longer Welcome

WoW.... Sounds like a lot of work.... Are 'ranch chins' usually like this? Do they have bad temperments?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 12 (permalink) Old 04-16-2004, 12:57 PM
Paw-Talk Lifer

Chinchillas from a large ranch receive little socialization. This is why I usually recommend first time pet owners who don't plan to breed go with a reputable, small hobby breeder. The chins from smaller breeders receive a lot more one-on-one time and make better pets, IMO.

Stephanie

post #5 of 12 (permalink) Old 04-16-2004, 01:30 PM
Chim-Chim GizzardFanny!

yep the most ranchers pull their chins out is if they are injured or something. maybe to check pregnancy and to see the gender of the babies.

Small breeders are best for pets and even people that want to breed for pets but i wouldn't trade my ranch chins for nothing. Even though they've got some quirks :/

Alicyn

post #6 of 12 (permalink) Old 04-16-2004, 01:37 PM Thread Starter
Movin' Up in the Pack

These chins aren't mean they are nervous and scared. There are no attempts to bite or spit at me. I agree with Jade. You need to understand chins if you are to purchase from a large ranch because the lack of handling but 90% of the time I have gotten very friendly chins from reputable ranches. I have a lot of chins but not anywhere near as many as the ranches. I do this as a full time job 24 hours a day, 7 days a week 365 days per yr. Plus some. Chins and I get along!

Hey Ckane isn't so funny how they hold the treat in their mouth but haven't got a clue on what to do with it. I was told these chins got a raisin per day but they didn't tell me they just threw it in the cage I hand feed a shreaded wheat to all of my chins when treat time comes. I pet and stick my face in every cage every day to check my sweeties, usually more than once.

post #7 of 12 (permalink) Old 04-16-2004, 02:06 PM
Kansas City Chinchillas

Chinhappy, I also am home for my chins 24x7. I also totally agree about ranch chins. Some of my ranch chins now cry for attention and when they trust you it is wonderful. They are not mean and don't bite unless they have a reason, just like socialized chins. Most of my chins were raised as ranch chins but you would never know it now. They just need a little TLC and some time to get to know you. Not a good idea for a first time chin owner though. The main reason ranch chins are not socialized is because there are so many chins a rancher can't spend a lot of time with each chin. They have just enough time to make sure their chins are healthy and clean.

Last edited by ckane; 04-16-2004 at 02:10 PM.
post #8 of 12 (permalink) Old 04-16-2004, 02:09 PM
Chim-Chim GizzardFanny!

LOL! two of the ranch chins I got were in the small breeding runs. Well i stuck them in an 18" D x 30" W x 24" H cage. ohhhh boy. Shouldn't a done that. They didn't know what shelves were (still miss alot) and were running around in tight circles. I almost felt bad for them.

I have a few chins that will just hold it in their mouth and stare at you...very...interesting.

Yeah none are mean tho. They just don't know what to do. I have some that will pee some won't. Most tense up when you try to pick them up from underneath. I have one girl that will latch on my arm with her paws (sometimes teeth too >_<) and let me pull her up out of the dust bath (its a trash can about 2.5 feet tall). Quite funny except when she accidentally bites.

I'm still working with these guys. Have had them for 4 months (seems like forever). All are very good about coming out and being held but one. She's going to take some work. She HATES being taken out and held. She flips out and slips tons of fur. poor gal.

forgot the most important thing! WE need pics!!! (not alll 12 tho) where'd you get them?

Alicyn

post #9 of 12 (permalink) Old 04-16-2004, 06:49 PM Thread Starter
Movin' Up in the Pack

They are all R.Shoots pedigree and the pics will have to wait a bit until I have a chance.

I made great progress with the cryer already. She came to me today and has come up to the front of the cage every time I announce I was entering the building so I went and talked to her a bit. Shes really likeing ear rubs!!!

post #10 of 12 (permalink) Old 04-16-2004, 07:03 PM
Chim-Chim GizzardFanny!

awesome. 4 of my ranch chins are from shoots too. I love shoots chins.

Alicyn

post #11 of 12 (permalink) Old 04-25-2004, 04:58 PM
Kansas City Chinchillas

I wanted to add this about a ranch chin I have had for one week. I tried to give her a raisin yesterday and she wouldn't take it, somehow I actually got it into her mouth and she actually chewed it. The espression on her face was priceless. She liked it!
post #12 of 12 (permalink) Old 04-25-2004, 05:16 PM Thread Starter
Movin' Up in the Pack

WAY TO GO!!!!

Tags
dust bath, pet owner