Worried about my chinchilla - Paw Talk - Pet Forums
Chinchilla Discussion Twitching whiskers, fluffy tails, silky soft fur and all else chinchilla!

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 5 (permalink) Old 07-21-2011, 09:23 PM Thread Starter
Newborn Pup

Worried about my chinchilla

Hi, I'm a bit worried about my dad's chinchilla and not sure what to do. His fur has a running appearance around the eyes and under his chin; under the chin is a bit sticky too. I have two books on chinchillas but they are lacking in the health section. I was wondering if maybe it was possibly a fungus issue? The books said if so then not to give the chinchilla a sand bath until it drys up. I also saw him run his paws along his whiskers and down his neck, but that's normal right? He wasn't pulling the fur out and he doesn't bite at his fur. When we first got him we brought him to our vet who said they don't do anything about chinchillas. I'm going to try to find a local vet who may actually know about chinchillas and treat them, but does anyone have any suggestions/ideas about what may be the issue or what to do in the mean time? Thanks for any help.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 5 (permalink) Old 07-21-2011, 09:43 PM
Paw-Talk Lifer

The most common result of wet eyes and drooling is unfortunately malocclusion.
http://www.paw-talk.net/forums/f19/m...lla-17468.html

You will want to find a vet experienced in exotics who can do some diagnostics for you.

Stephanie

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #3 of 5 (permalink) Old 07-21-2011, 11:39 PM
Newborn Pup

i hope you find a vet, good luck to you

Safe and inexpensive chinchilla supplies:

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 5 (permalink) Old 07-23-2011, 12:34 PM Thread Starter
Newborn Pup

I found a vet yesterday and we took him in. They kept him over night to put him under anesthesia to clip/smooth down his teeth. He had an infection too so now I have medicine and he seems to be doing fine. His eyes are already looking back to normal. He has a check up appointment in 3 months to make sure hes fully recovered. Just a shame there is not vet that treats chinchillas locally; it's a 1.25 hour drive to get to the nearest vet. Doesn't make sense, but one local vet can only diagnosis...not treat chinchillas.
post #5 of 5 (permalink) Old 07-23-2011, 02:29 PM
Newborn Pup

i'm glad he's okay.

there is this one med, and for the life of me i can't think of the name of it, but it will upset their tummies a bit, so if he doesn't seem to eat at all, even after his mouth feels better, but he is still on the meds, that is why, so make sure you have enough cc on hand.

if i hear the name of the med i will know it, i just can't think of it..

Safe and inexpensive chinchilla supplies:

Tags
chinchilla, health issue