worried sick - Paw Talk - Pet Forums
Chinchilla Discussion Twitching whiskers, fluffy tails, silky soft fur and all else chinchilla!

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 38 (permalink) Old 08-11-2002, 03:00 PM Thread Starter
Paw-Talk Lifer

worried sick

Elvis is still pretty sick. He sleeps all the time, not wanting to eat or drink. I'm having to force feed him, using a combination of Oxbow's Critical Care (thanks a million, Sassy) and Felovite. I'm also giving about 1/2 of a CC of water by syringe a few times a day to ward off dehydration. He took it a bit better this morning, but still has no interest at all. And after the second night, there have been no poos.
The mucous look to be coming from his anus, which REALLY scares me. There is a cavity that needs to be closed off when a chin is neutered that leads to his abdomen ... I'm afraid this wasn't done or has come open and caused all of this. The antibiotic just doesn't seem to be helping. He literally just sits and lets me hold him, which is so rare for Elvis. I took some pics, so you all could see what I was dealing with.

I also found out that I was misled -- this was the vet's first chinchilla neuter. Had I known that, this never would've happened. The receptionist AND the techs told me he'd done many of them, in addition to guinea pigs, etc.
I've spoken to an exotics vet in the closest big city and I may take him in to her on Monday. She was willing to discuss him with me over the phone and offer some advice on what to test for, etc. I was very impressed -- she actually seemed to care.

At this point, I'm looking for advice and I guess a little support. He's my first chin and my baby ... I'm so afraid I'm going to lose him.

Stephanie

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 38 (permalink) Old 08-11-2002, 03:04 PM Thread Starter
Paw-Talk Lifer

Pic one -- this is what it looked like two days after surgery and scared the crap out of me.

Stephanie

post #3 of 38 (permalink) Old 08-11-2002, 03:05 PM Thread Starter
Paw-Talk Lifer

here it is today
There is a lot less discharge and the swelling is considerably less, but it looks like it's coming from his anus, not the wounds.

Stephanie

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 38 (permalink) Old 08-11-2002, 03:09 PM Thread Starter
Paw-Talk Lifer

Sorry about the unsightly pics ... here he is feeling badly the day of the surgery.

Stephanie

post #5 of 38 (permalink) Old 08-11-2002, 03:10 PM Thread Starter
Paw-Talk Lifer

Poor baby. (you can where he's chewed his fur and WHY I wanted to have him neutered ...)

Stephanie

post #6 of 38 (permalink) Old 08-11-2002, 03:13 PM Thread Starter
Paw-Talk Lifer

He looks so pathetic here. Between being held several times daily and not being able to get a dust bath, in addition to force feeding him both food and antibiotics ....

He's just laying on my legs after cleaning him up a bit.

Stephanie

post #7 of 38 (permalink) Old 08-11-2002, 04:04 PM
Fertile Myrtle

OMG!! Hun, I'm so sorry!! I would definitely take him to the other vet if he doesn't seem any better...

Chinnie hugs and prayers...

Wife to an amazing man,
mom to three wonderful kids (9, 5.10, 4),
2 dogs, 3 hermit crabs and 2 bettas

|

post #8 of 38 (permalink) Old 08-11-2002, 04:19 PM Thread Starter
Paw-Talk Lifer

Thanks Christi, I probably am going to anyway.

Stephanie

post #9 of 38 (permalink) Old 08-11-2002, 07:37 PM

Unhappy

I'm wishing you the best of luck and will keep you and Elvis in my thought! Surgery is always nerve wrecking. I too learned the hard way that vets will lie to you about knowing about chins. Let us know what happens at the vets on Monday.
post #10 of 38 (permalink) Old 08-11-2002, 07:47 PM

I am so sorry Jade. Both you guys are in my thoughts. If there is anything I can do!
post #11 of 38 (permalink) Old 08-11-2002, 08:44 PM

Jade I am so sorry that you and Elvis are going through all of this.
Take him to that vet on Monday and have him throughly checked out if this is all from the surgery I would go after the vet that lied to you.

If there is anything that we can do please let us know.

((((HUGS))))
post #12 of 38 (permalink) Old 08-11-2002, 08:54 PM
Resident Chatroom Blonde

I agree with Sassy take him to the other vet just to be safe.I took my favorite chin to a vet who was suppose to know all about chinchillas and they said she was very good.The Stupid ****** killed my Grendel and I will never forgive her for that nor will I recommend her for anything as long as I live.My thoughts and prayers to both of you

post #13 of 38 (permalink) Old 08-12-2002, 09:25 AM
buny2phat

Jade I am so sorry that you have to go through all of this. I wish there was something that I could do to help Elvis and you. There is one thing that I can do for you and Elivs and that would be to pray for you two. Give him lots of love and kisses from us and best wishes to Elvis and you.
If I were you this is what I would be doing to that vet.

post #14 of 38 (permalink) Old 08-12-2002, 11:59 AM
brodle

This is prob the last thing on your mind but you should seek some legal help after he gets all better. At least to get the bills paid for. I know in NJ it doesnt matter what the pet is. If a VEt provides service they are liable.

post #15 of 38 (permalink) Old 08-12-2002, 01:05 PM

Jade, My heart is aching, I feel so sad for you. I know what it is like to see a pet in pain, and feel you can do nothing for it. I hope it goes well with the other vet! Good Luck, you will be in my thoughts and prayers.

Tags
dust bath, guinea pig, guinea pig food, pig food, separate cages