Wrong... Or Right? - Paw Talk - Pet Forums
Chinchilla Discussion Twitching whiskers, fluffy tails, silky soft fur and all else chinchilla!

View Poll Results: Is it Right to do the setup where the males can get to the females who cant get out?
Yes, of course. 5 19.23%
If they get along.. 8 30.77%
No! 13 50.00%
Voters: 26. You may not vote on this poll

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 29 (permalink) Old 07-16-2003, 06:37 PM Thread Starter
Proud New Mommy

Question Wrong... Or Right?

Just wanted to know some oppinions on this subject...

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

"Live your beliefs and you can turn the world around"- Henry David Thoreau
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 29 (permalink) Old 07-16-2003, 09:49 PM

I personally do not like it, but there is quite a few people that have that set up. All of my chins are in pairs, the males are always with the females.
post #3 of 29 (permalink) Old 07-16-2003, 10:53 PM
Resident Chatroom Blonde

I wouldn't do it either.I like mine to be in pairs.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 29 (permalink) Old 07-17-2003, 12:05 PM
Fertile Myrtle

I'd never do it. IMO it's cruel.

Wife to an amazing man,
mom to three wonderful kids (9, 5.10, 4),
2 dogs, 3 hermit crabs and 2 bettas

|

post #5 of 29 (permalink) Old 07-17-2003, 01:16 PM

It seems very cruel and unecessary.
post #6 of 29 (permalink) Old 07-17-2003, 04:04 PM

I don't think it's cruel if the chinchillas get along and no one gets hurt, but I personally wouldn't do that to my chinchillas. I think they make good little families.
post #7 of 29 (permalink) Old 07-17-2003, 05:51 PM

I hate that idea. I have my chins paired up for life.
post #8 of 29 (permalink) Old 07-17-2003, 08:44 PM
Super Soaker Snot Ball Shooter

I have been to a breeder's place that does this. The chins were VERY well taken care of but I don't think I would be able to do that. I felt sorry for the females.

Rhonda

post #9 of 29 (permalink) Old 07-17-2003, 10:19 PM

It isn't cruel if you do it right. I love my chins to be paired but not all chins do well in this set up. I have a few breeding cages with runs and the males love all there girls and take good care of them. Daddy hates being locked out when the females have kits (but I don't like breed backs) but he still talks to them and they climb up to visit dad. If I have a male that spends alot of time with a specific female I pair them up together.
If you have chins set up to be in pairs and this is working I agree with keeping that set up.
post #10 of 29 (permalink) Old 07-18-2003, 12:23 AM

It is by far the safest method of breeding, and gives you the most bang for your buck with your quality male. Don't think the females I helplsee, many out size the males, they can spray, and they have a good trick to use. The simply hide under the run with their rear in the corner, if they don't want to breed trust me they don't, I have a few I want kits out of, but I don't get them.
post #11 of 29 (permalink) Old 07-18-2003, 12:55 AM
Paw-Talk Lifer

I guess I wouldn't think it cruel if I had room for cages big enough for me to be comfortable with. I like my chins to have room to jump and play and enjoy being a chinchilla and I don't feel they have that space in the runs I've seen. If I had the time to let them out and play often, I might consider it. At this point in time I don't think my situation is right for it.

Stephanie

post #12 of 29 (permalink) Old 07-18-2003, 12:58 PM

I personally wouldn't do it but I know of many people who have that type of set up and it works best for them.
post #13 of 29 (permalink) Old 07-18-2003, 08:33 PM Thread Starter
Proud New Mommy

I was asking to get other oppinions..

I agree with Jade to an extent.... But I still don't think the females would be too happy. I mean... I guess if you house them together- the female cannot escape Anyways... But as Jade was saying; If the cage was big enough... I don't know, it just still feels a little wrong to me. Can't put my finger on it.

I think they just need to have a LARGER cage setup like that.

I still don't think I would do it.

"Live your beliefs and you can turn the world around"- Henry David Thoreau
post #14 of 29 (permalink) Old 07-18-2003, 11:54 PM

Just because you have runs doesn't mean they have to be small. I have cages that are 24x30x14high with jump hole connections. My original runs are 18x24x14 high. I have connectors on most of my cages. I like my kids to have space too.
post #15 of 29 (permalink) Old 07-19-2003, 04:24 AM

I have cages that are 30x30x18 (almost the same) and they ARE big. I would feel just fine having a single chin in a cage that big, heck, probably 3-4 (they really are bigger than they sound, I have 2 levels and everything in mine). The only part of the run setup I don't like is the collars on the females, that just doesn't look comfortable to me, which isn't to say that I think it's inhumane or anything!