Yet ANOTHER chin! - Paw Talk - Pet Forums
Chinchilla Discussion Twitching whiskers, fluffy tails, silky soft fur and all else chinchilla!

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 9 (permalink) Old 03-21-2004, 10:42 PM Thread Starter
Fluffy Potatokisser

Yet ANOTHER chin!

Ok, Sundays are cage cleaning days and today when I cleaned each cage, I thought I would start getting everyone used to the new chinchilla combs I recently got. Well, by the time I was done (some have been groomed before others, never in their lives) I had 2 slightly bleeding holes in my wrist from Sage, and a whole other chinchilla's worth of fur! They took so much dead fur out of the coats, I was truely amazed! Everyone looked awsome when I was done except my wrist! LOL, the funny thing is, Sage was pretty good about the combing (never been combed before) but when I slid my arm up underneath of her to pick her up and put her back in her nice clean cage, she got her revenge by chomping down on me! One hole is from her top teeth, the other, from her bottom ones! LOL, It looks like I was bit by a vampire! And I just threw out the fur as Shane walked into the room! He thought one of the chins had died and I was throwing it in the trash! Silly men!

Chin Mom to Lila, Skye, Ty, Rolex, Calypso, Lizzie, Jax, Sam, Sage, Lorenzo, Spitfire, Holly, Dylan, Leia, Punky, Kylie, Skylar, Jetta, Oreo, Emma, Forest, Georgie, Alexis, Picador and all the kits!
Pittie Mom to Kali and Orion
Rattie Mom to Drake and Dumbo
Bunny Mom to Dutchie
Plain ole Mom to Zach, Brandon and Connor!
Come visit us at
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 9 (permalink) Old 03-22-2004, 04:20 PM
Movin' Up in the Pack

OUCH!!!
It takes time to get use to combing both for you and the chins. I have some that grumble even though they have been getting brushed for yrs. I have one chin that rubs her nose all over my mouth for kisses but if I comb her she fusses like I was torchering her.
PS Maybe long sleeves next time may help!

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Team Captain: Mother of 250 chinchillas!
New litters weekly...I must be nuts
post #3 of 9 (permalink) Old 03-22-2004, 04:25 PM
Paw-Talk Addict

that's really funny ... good luck with your vampires ... LOL.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 9 (permalink) Old 03-22-2004, 06:19 PM
Chim-Chim GizzardFanny!

I've only groomed a few for the heck of it. And a couple for shows. Luckily I don't have any screamers yet. My first show I went to there were screamers and i swore up and down if my chin screamed I would scream even louder from the fright! lol *crosses fingers for no screamers* I have to groom 4 this weekend for Natl's, but luckily they have all been groomed before.

One thing I do when grooming is like let them pull against my leg, while holding thier tail. It straightens them out. BUT then they decide to bite down through the pants!!! (only one chin did that)

I get scratched arms all the time! I think the people at school are starting to worry about me...

Alicyn

post #5 of 9 (permalink) Old 03-22-2004, 10:27 PM Thread Starter
Fluffy Potatokisser

When I groomed them, I had them on a slick surface table and held their tails...when they tried to run, they just didn't go anywhere! Their feet were going but they were sliding! LOL! Everyone forgave me, Sage was the only one to take revenge...I still gave her a treat though and she got over it!

Chin Mom to Lila, Skye, Ty, Rolex, Calypso, Lizzie, Jax, Sam, Sage, Lorenzo, Spitfire, Holly, Dylan, Leia, Punky, Kylie, Skylar, Jetta, Oreo, Emma, Forest, Georgie, Alexis, Picador and all the kits!
Bunny Mom to Dutchie
Come visit us at
post #6 of 9 (permalink) Old 03-22-2004, 10:50 PM
Movin' Up in the Pack

Thats funny. I can picture chinnies running on the smooth surface thinking they are getting away.

Team Captain: Mother of 250 chinchillas!
New litters weekly...I must be nuts
post #7 of 9 (permalink) Old 03-25-2004, 07:09 AM
Proud New Mommy

Ouch!! That sounds painful. We really need to get a chinchilla comb to get the dead fur out. The comb we have right now doesn't get much dead fur out- just looks good once we're done..

Chinchilla Grl, I've tried that with my herd and they hate it!! One of them, Sage, I have to hold by the tail and rest her on my chest and she will sit there, content, until Im done. The others all besides Destiny (who hasn't been groomed yet) will try and try and try to get away.

Lately, when I just want to hold one for a while- I'll hold them by their tail hoping they'll get used to it! I know for a fact if anyone is going to groom the babies they shouldn't have a problem at all with them.

"Live your beliefs and you can turn the world around"- Henry David Thoreau

Last edited by Rocheal; 03-25-2004 at 07:12 AM.
post #8 of 9 (permalink) Old 03-25-2004, 09:52 AM Thread Starter
Fluffy Potatokisser

I don't think any chin is REALLY going to like it much, but some tolorate it better than others...Skye just sat on the table and let me do it...If I tried to hold her up by the tail, she twists and turns and tries to bite the comb, so I just keep her on the table and she tolorates it pretty well. I started grooming Mercedes, who is just a bit over 3 months, and she's pretty good about it too, but prefers to sit in my lap. Mercedes is probably the most tame, (thank you Jade) and although I always hold tails when I am holding chinnies for extra security, she loves to be scooped up from underneath and is now to the point where she often jumps from the cage to my shoulder! She also loves to tuck her head up under my chin and snuggle up to my neck! I just love her so much!! She's such a little snuggle bug!

Bunny Mom to Dutchie
Come visit us at
post #9 of 9 (permalink) Old 03-25-2004, 03:30 PM
Proud New Mommy

That's neat. Im really hoping to get a chin from Jade sometime.

That's what Sage does, though. She will twist...

"Live your beliefs and you can turn the world around"- Henry David Thoreau

Tags
cage cleaning