3 of my babies - Page 2 - Paw Talk - Pet Forums
Ferret Discussion Mischievous antics, missing items, and all else ferret.

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #16 of 28 (permalink) Old 08-23-2003, 09:45 PM Thread Starter
Obsessed With Turtles

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #17 of 28 (permalink) Old 08-23-2003, 10:13 PM
Formerly Known as Masterjack

You guys are a hoot!

Very nice pictures!

I've Been Frosted!
post #18 of 28 (permalink) Old 08-23-2003, 10:35 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by tutebugs
Oh yeah, that's right, it's Albinos that are prone to blindness
actually, they're not
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #19 of 28 (permalink) Old 08-23-2003, 10:41 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by fstybrat
thanks Tutebugs, I didn't look it up before I posted it but I knew the name was close to that. I believe Mojo may be at least partially deaf as well and she is NONE of these BUT as she gets older I am noticing her tail is turning white (know anything on this Nancy?)

as some ferrets age, they will get lighter in coloring(usually as more and more white fur grow amongst their colored fur)....it's referred to as "roaning". Ferrets who start their lives out with a panda coat pattern usually end up becoming dark eyed whites by the time they reach adulthood. "Roaning" can happen in all colors and coat patterns--and it's not necessarily a sign of aging as it has been known to occur in young ferrets as well. Mojo looks to be a silver, and roaning is quite common in silvers as well....that's probably what's happening with her tail
post #20 of 28 (permalink) Old 08-23-2003, 11:31 PM Thread Starter
Obsessed With Turtles

WOW thanks Nancy!! that is very interesting to know!
Am I mistaken when I say Winnie is a panda? her body as you can see is light browns, and legs very dark, however she has a white head & white toes. (as she grows she is starting to get what I am guessing to be a blaze effect on the back of her head behind her ears) & she also has very dark red eyes. In your many years with ferrets... would it be possible for her to end up a DEW?
Snoopy has very similar body markings to Winnie, but no white toes & his head is not white. I am noticing he is getting lighter as well. (he & Mojo are about a year & a half older than Winnie, but they are only about 2 years old)
post #21 of 28 (permalink) Old 08-26-2003, 02:03 AM

Winnie is as close as you can get to being panda I think we can call her a "wanna be panda". Usually pandas have all white heads down to their shoulders with the only coloring on their head area being colored circles/rings around their eyes. I've seen very few *true* pandas. She doesn't really have a defined blaze, so I'd say she's leaning more towards panda than blaze; though I have seen some rather funky looking blazes It is really hard to tell, honestly. I don't know if any are posted, but could you maybe get a pic or two that shows her head coloring?
She is definitely a Waardenburg ferret; she's got the typical wide-set eyes of a WS ferret. Many pandas do end up becoming DEW's, but not all do. It is quite likely that she will go through quite a bit of coat color change as she gets older. And she will gradually get lighter. She definitely won't get darker, that I can say(not too many ferrets get darker as they get older). And she may not become a full DEW. She may still retain "remnants" of her original coloring, especially on her leg areas, as that's where the highest concentration of dark fur seems to be. So she could go the DEW route, but still have sprinklings of dark colored fur in there. It's really hard to say. I have a rescue that was originally a panda(deaf as a doorknob too) and now at age 2, she's almost completely white(see pic). You can't see it in the pic, but she does have dark hairs here and there(on her legs mostly).
Winnie may end up drastically lightening up...she could end up a DEW or a light silver. She'll look extremely lighter in color during the winter and a bit darker in the summer. It's amazing some of the color changes ferrets go through.
As for Snoopy, he's definitely not a panda He's a chocolate point(also called chocolate siamese or chocolate siamese point) from what I can see in the pic you posted
post #22 of 28 (permalink) Old 08-26-2003, 05:26 AM
Resident Chatroom Blonde

They are so cute.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #23 of 28 (permalink) Old 08-26-2003, 08:01 AM Thread Starter
Obsessed With Turtles

wow Nancy thank you so much! It is interesting as to how they change so drastically! As for getting darker I know it isn't common, BUT that is what Mojo seems to be doing. When I firt rescued her she was a very light silver:

Now she seems to be a lot darker BUT her tail is turning whiteL

~~~~~~~~~~
Here is a pic of Winnie when I first got her as a baby:

and here is a pic of her now... (the only differenct is her head has gotten deffinately whiter)

(Snoopy really hasn't changed much although he is starting to lighten up. And Tigger just hasn't changed. )
post #24 of 28 (permalink) Old 08-26-2003, 08:09 AM Thread Starter
Obsessed With Turtles

here is another one of Mojo (when I first got her)... her eyes have always puzzled me cause they are so wide spread & they seem to "bulge" a little more than my others ferts eyes.
post #25 of 28 (permalink) Old 08-26-2003, 09:35 PM
Super Soaker Snot Ball Shooter

fsty, your babies are soooooo darned cute!

Quote:
ummm yah yah he's *poofed* up his tail- then WE all freak out and run out of the room!!
Ok, I'm laughing so hard I have tears running down my face. I can hardly type here. Thanks for the laugh!!!

Rhonda

post #26 of 28 (permalink) Old 08-26-2003, 11:20 PM Thread Starter
Obsessed With Turtles

Thanks Scarlette!! (& don't feel bad! Deja had me cracking up on that one big time too!! )
post #27 of 28 (permalink) Old 08-26-2003, 11:27 PM
Paw-Talk Addict

[center]

[
post #28 of 28 (permalink) Old 08-27-2003, 11:51 AM
Beanie Fanatics Anonymous Member

that pic is adorable! i like the one on the far left

I Love You Logan & Cledus!!!

Logan Indy Ping-Pong Pinkerton Gissa Cledus

Tags
red eyes