Another Newbie With Questions... - Paw Talk - Pet Forums
Ferret Discussion Mischievous antics, missing items, and all else ferret.

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 13 (permalink) Old 12-13-2004, 11:25 AM Thread Starter
Newborn Pup

Another Newbie With Questions...

Hello. I got a ferret on Friday, and I did do some research prior to buying,but it looks like I should have done some more because I still have questions.
First, I was reading through the posts and they did help me a lot. It's ironic that I bought the most expensive fancy cat litter because I thought it was the best, but turns out that cheaper is probably better for my ferret.BTW, her name is Squishy and she is still very young.
Squishy has been spayed and decented but I had questions about her shots. I got her from Petco, and I'm wondering when is a good time to take her to the vet for shots. Also, what do I look for in a good vet? I'm thinking I should call Petco and ask about her exact age and any shots she may have had, but Petco employee's do not seem very educated sometimes I have learned when it comes to the animals they sell. Also, people said that buying her from petco was not a good choice because she is probably inbred. But nonetheless, inbred or not, i think she is the most adorable thing in the world right now!
Well hello to everyone and thank you for you time and help.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 13 (permalink) Old 12-21-2004, 04:32 PM
Playful Pup

I got both my babies from Petco before I did all my research as well. But I agree, no matter what they are the most adorable critters and I love everything about them. As for shots, Petco say they start to sell their ferrets at 6 weeks. They get their ferrets from Marshalls ferret breeder and I believe Marshalls gives them their first distemper about 2 days before sending to Petco. Ferrets need 3 distemper shots in the beginning, and then one shot each year after that. The first should be done already. The second you should get done at 10 weeks, and the third by 14 weeks. As far as I've heard, being a week off is not going to be a problem. Yes, you might want to confirm with Petco when they got that certain litter of ferrets in. Then kinda calculate it in your head. If you got her the same week they had them in, then they should be 6-7 weeks old and need their next shot by 3 weeks from then. Simple stuff. Make sure you find a vet that is familiar with ferrets considering it is very important what distemper vaccination they use. Good luck- and enjoy your precious new friend. I've had so much fun with my boys already! If you have any questions don't hesitate to ask. Fstybrat has always answered my questions- she's very educated with ferrets and has always helped me, so if you have a difficult one I can't answer, she's there.

When you rescue an animal it may be because they need you. Yet, how certain are we that their purpose is not only to survive, but to rescue us as well? Cherish all of God's creatures. We need them just as much as they need us.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #3 of 13 (permalink) Old 12-21-2004, 11:28 PM
Obsessed With Turtles

aww thanks Tycor!

I don't know how I missed this post! I'm sorry

3 of my 4 ferrets came from petco... 1 of which is a Marshalls ferret. Irregardless of where you purchase them from they still deserve a good home & to be loved.

Here is a great website with TONS of basic ferret info you might find useful. In fact they have updated & added info since I was last there!

Quote:
Your ferret also needs vaccinations for rabies and distemper every year. While it is very unlikely for ferrets to contract rabies, distemper is an airborne virus that is very deadly to any ferret who is unvaccinated. Staying up-to-date on vaccinations is not only important for the health of your ferret, but also to protect them in case of an unfortunate incident where the ferret bites someone.

It is uncommon for ferrets to contract rabies, but it is still very important and required by law in many states. Imrab-3 is the only rabies vaccine approved for ferrets and should be given at three months of age and then annually thereafter.

Distemper is unfortunately much more common in ferrets and is an airborne virus that is very deadly to any ferret that is unvaccinated. Distemper can even be carried in on your shoes and clothes. Fervac-D and Purevax are the only distemper vaccinations approved for ferrets. The protocol is to give the vaccine at 8, 11, and 14 weeks and then once a year thereafter. Some people also use Galaxy distemper vaccine, but this is not USDA approved for use in ferrets.
source
Also... as for buying from Petco... I agree that the employees tend to be undereducated, although you will find that in most major petshops. As for the inbreeding ... I do believe Petco gets MOST of their ferret kits from Marshalls Farms. While many people are oppsed to Marshall Farms, many others support them. In my personal opinion I strongly disagree with many things they do, but that is just my opinion. Here is a link with some information about Marshall Farms, you can decided what you think for yourself. I do not know how accurate all the information is on that page though (I'm fairly certain it is though), so I urge you to do more research to back up what is said if your interested.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 13 (permalink) Old 12-22-2004, 12:32 AM Thread Starter
Newborn Pup

Well I did call Petco, and they were like "Oh we forgot to give you all the info. about her shots." So I went in and they gave me a shot record book, and told me when I should get her her next shots. She did come from Marshalls.
I don't have time right now to check out all of the links you guys prvided me, but I wil definitly go through them all when I have the time. Thank you for all your help.
I do have one more question: her next shots are due around new years. So should I just take her in for the shots or should I have the vet do a routine exam? She's still a baby or rather a kit, so is this nessesary? If not when is a good time to start taking her in for routine checkups?
Thanks for all of your help!
post #5 of 13 (permalink) Old 12-22-2004, 07:50 AM
Obsessed With Turtles

If you haven't had her to the vet yet at all than I would do a routine exam. Ya never know if there is some underlying illness when you get a new pet. Better to be safe than sorry
post #6 of 13 (permalink) Old 12-22-2004, 12:00 PM Thread Starter
Newborn Pup

`Good point. I will try to do some reseach and see if I can find a good ferret friendly vet in the area. Sorry for all the questions, but I have become really attached to her already and I just want to do everything right. I don' t have kids so she has kind of become like my child and part of the family. Plus, outside of my four tarantula's (which don;t really count as "pets" because I can't pet them) she is my first pet that I am responsible to take care of.
post #7 of 13 (permalink) Old 12-22-2004, 02:33 PM
Obsessed With Turtles

I admire you for asking lots of questions ... many people unfortunately don't bother to even "try" to learn more

I will help in any way I can
post #8 of 13 (permalink) Old 12-22-2004, 02:42 PM
Playful Pup

I totally agree with you. I have become so attached to my boys and I had tons of questions and still do! It is good you're asking lots of questions. It shows that you want to be a good mother. As for a general checkup, I agree with Fstybrat. It's a good idea to just check and be sure. It's not a bad idea to get a stool/poop sample too. Most vets encourage you to get it done. Ask about nail clipping and ear cleaning as well. You can do this yourself but it's good to find out the right way to do it.

When you rescue an animal it may be because they need you. Yet, how certain are we that their purpose is not only to survive, but to rescue us as well? Cherish all of God's creatures. We need them just as much as they need us.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #9 of 13 (permalink) Old 12-23-2004, 12:31 AM Thread Starter
Newborn Pup

Yeah she's great! I'm off from work tomorrow and I will go vet hunting. One of my co-woekers has a ferret and i asked her what vet she takes her too and she says she hasn't taken it to a vet because it seems healthy!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! And she's a nurse so she should know better!
I have not trimmed her nails yet. They did at the store right before I brought her home. I know you have to be really careful so you don't cut too far down and make them bleed.
And what kind of treats do you guys give your ferrets? Mine doesn't like the ones I bought for her. She sniffs them and then ignores them They are called " Bandits Ferret Treats."
post #10 of 13 (permalink) Old 12-23-2004, 04:42 AM
Playful Pup

When you trim her nails (cause they grow FAST) make sure to look at them from the side and watch for the red/pink stripe in the nail. DO NOT cut that. But just incase, if she does start to bleed use flower or baking soda to stop the bleeding. As for treats, my boys are VERY picky. It's like they don't like anything new I give them. Mongo liked Bananas for a bit, but now he just sniffs. Yet the baby LOVES ferretone. As far as I know, many many ferrets can't resist ferretone (comes in a bottle, liquid, and used for a skin supplment). My baby can't resist it- so it works good for nail clipping, training, and just plain loving. Give it a try. It's healthy as well... as long as you don't give too much.

post #11 of 13 (permalink) Old 12-30-2004, 12:58 AM
Playful Pup

All my ferrets love Ferretone, Laxitive, 8 & 1 Fruit Crunch Treats, Peanut Butter Crunch treats, Ferret Bites and Ferritvite (vitamen supplemnent) I don't give the the Ferritvite, because they really don't need it, the only one I did give it to was Sampson and not that he isn't sick anymore he dosn't get it either.

They also love Cereal and Peanut Butter (w/out the nuts!) which we give to them sparingly and the reason the PB is with out nuts is because they could choke on them. They love fruit, exspecially rasins, but its not good to give it to them all the time. Jessie likes some of the more meaty flavor treats. She is the only one that does though. I also tried Yogies, which for awhile Buddy use to love them, but I guess he got sick of them.

I give up on treats now, the only thing I buy now is Ferretone and Laxitive. Otherwise, I just give the household foods that I feel are safe for them and they only get it maybe once a week to once a month. Treats are mainly good for training, but other then that, their treat becomes freedom and attention.

As for animals at petshops, etc. thier is a flaw to every store and sometimes the flaw is the products and sometimes its other things. I decided that I am going to start adopting more then getting pets through the petstore or breeder. Petco does get all thier ferrets from Marshall Farms. Infact alot of petstores get thier ferrets from Marshalls. How you know that your ferret is a Marshall ferret is by the two blueish dots on your ferrets right ear. Each dot represent two things, one is for being neutered/spayed and the other is for being descented. And yes, they usually give thier ferrets thier first distemper shot before shipping them out to petstores.

All my ferrets are Marshall Farm Ferrets. You can go to the Marshall Farms Website to learn more about thier ferrets and products at www.marshallpet.com and all thier ferrets come with a record which the petstores are suppose to give to you upon purchase.

Eat a crunchy, Sleep in hammock,
Steal a sock, Dig in shoes,
Nip your ankles, Climb your pants
Miss the litter box, Beg for treats,
Poop in a corner, Knock something over

But Why Would Anyone Do a Thing Like That?
post #12 of 13 (permalink) Old 01-01-2005, 06:32 PM
Newborn Pup

Hey, i don't know if this has already been said but i stress getting Ferrets for Dummies. Although it doesn't help with all the answers, and it certainly should not replace a Vet, it's still a great guide!
post #13 of 13 (permalink) Old 01-01-2005, 09:38 PM Thread Starter
Newborn Pup

You know, I saw "Ferrets For Dummies" at the store and thought it would be a goos book to invest in. The internet has been very helpful, but sometimes I'm not sure about the acuracy of the websites. Don't get me wrong, I have found some wonderful sites about ferrets, but anyone can really put up a website and claim to be "ferret experts" . The girls are doing great! No pictures yet! Squeakers, is still really skittish and nervous. I think a lot of this has to do with her being in a petstore for so long and having strangers poke and prod at her all day.(she's 5 months old, whereas Squishy, is 13 weeks) We are trying to give her lots of tender loving, but not force anything on her. I think she will be OK, it just may take her some time.