Any reason not to get 2? - Paw Talk - Pet Forums
Ferret Discussion Mischievous antics, missing items, and all else ferret.

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 19 (permalink) Old 05-07-2003, 05:25 PM Thread Starter

Any reason not to get 2?

Hey all.. I havn't had a ferret in years.. but after the last one I had, I said if I ever got another one that I would have to get 2.

Mine, (probably like all) just seemed to want to play constantly and I always felt guilty that it didn't have a playmate.

I thought I had read from a couple of you that you wouldnt want to have more than one ferret?? I'm wondering why??

Currently we live in CA, so until they become legal here, or we move.. I'm not going to get any more.. but when I do.. should I get 2?

thanks.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 19 (permalink) Old 05-07-2003, 05:29 PM
Erin

I'm a big believe in having at least a pair of any animal that I have that will tolerate living with one of it's own kind.

Fiestybrat(ferret moderator) has 4 ferrets(i think) that love to play together.

I've never had a ferret, but I like to watch them play together in the petstores, they are cute

post #3 of 19 (permalink) Old 05-07-2003, 07:40 PM
Obsessed With Turtles

Yes Erin... you're right, I have 4 of them!

Personally I absolutely would get 2 (or 3 or 4 or 5 ... tee hee)
Ferrets are very hyper but yet demanding little creatures with LOTS of energy. The most certainly benefit from having a play mate. Allthough I have talked to many people who only have 1 & they are just as happy. So it is a personal decision.

I agree with Erin... pairs are always encouraged.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 19 (permalink) Old 05-07-2003, 07:53 PM

I agree at least 2 is better.... 3 is even better or in Fsty's case 4 lol..... We got one, and knew within a few days we had to have another, and then deciding on a 2nd one decided 3 was better, hehehe!! it gives them company when you at least have a pair of any animal......
post #5 of 19 (permalink) Old 05-16-2003, 01:26 PM
ferret_frenzy

I agree, getting 2 would be great, especially if they are from the same place, that way no worries about one getting hurt from the other, which seldom happens anyway. I have 8 of these sweetie pies! They are so much fun. The ycan brighten even the gloomiest of days!

post #6 of 19 (permalink) Old 05-16-2003, 01:57 PM Thread Starter

ERRRRR....

California needs to change their stupid laws.
post #7 of 19 (permalink) Old 05-16-2003, 02:21 PM
ferret_frenzy

I agree! Ferrets just became legal where I am(Denton) in the last couple of years. They are still illegal to have in Dallas, but the pet stores can sell them there, is that a crock or what!?

post #8 of 19 (permalink) Old 05-16-2003, 02:58 PM Thread Starter

Frenzy... REALLY??? I totally did not know that!!! My parents live in Flower Mound.. I went to college in Dallas... (lived in Irving) My wife and I are thinking about moving back there from CA.. but I had no idea they had ferret laws there???

Strange stuff really.. makes absolutely no sence in my mind.
post #9 of 19 (permalink) Old 05-16-2003, 09:52 PM
ferret_frenzy

LOL You can call me Janie! I and my family used to live in Irving. I am thinking Dallas is the only place that has the restrictions now. Would be nice to have another ferret lover nearby!

post #10 of 19 (permalink) Old 08-05-2003, 08:08 PM

Getting two is good, 3 is better. Usually, 3's a crowd, but not with ferrets. Ferrets bond together. If you only have two, when one dies the other one will get so depressed that it will die also. If you have 3, if one dies, the two still have each other. The more ferrets the better.
post #11 of 19 (permalink) Old 08-06-2003, 11:56 AM
thetaste_ofink

I agree, three is the magic number. There's always some one to play with and no one gets lonely. I slowly built up my ferret family to three and none of them have been happier since the threesome was complete. Two is good, but three is better.

post #12 of 19 (permalink) Old 08-06-2003, 02:27 PM
Obsessed With Turtles

in my opinion the more you have the better (I have 4) BUT 1 is better than none & 2 is fine also.
post #13 of 19 (permalink) Old 09-25-2003, 12:48 AM

I used to have one ferret and she did just fine. She was mellow though compared to her litter mates. I also had a dog that would run around with her and play. It was always so funny to watch them play. I had a lab and she weighed like 120 lbs and my ferret only weighed like 4 or 5 however much they weigh (this was a while back). But this really huge dog would chase around and be so gentle with this tiny animal.
But sadly my ferret developed cancer and we had to put her down because it had spread all over.
It was an awesome sight to see though.
And having a ferret is better than having no ferret. They are really cool little animals. So much attitude for such a small creature!
Jennifer
post #14 of 19 (permalink) Old 10-02-2003, 07:48 PM
Adolescent Pup

8 ferrets???!!!! WOW! They are so mischevious and playful at the pet store, I can't even imagine having that many! LOL.
~Jenn

~ MY ZOO ~
2 shelties - Blaze & Pandy
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

1 orange tabby - Max
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

2 guinea pigs - Peaches and Calli
1 chipmunk - Theodore (Teddy)

RIP Pixie

Xander

Jax
post #15 of 19 (permalink) Old 01-07-2004, 05:20 PM

New Zealand is trying to ban the ownership of ferrets after a child was attacked by one that got out through a catflap. Also some of them like to eat kiwis and penguins. Currently, you need a licsence to own more than three ferrets or to breed or sell them.
I think thats rubbish and again we're having the irresponsible owner problem like we do with dogs. (they're trying to enforce huge numbers of new rules after a horrific attack on a seven year old girl and dog owners arent happy about it.)

Tags
dog owners, litter mates, pet store, pet stores