Attention..Possible CDV exposure - Paw Talk - Pet Forums
Ferret Discussion Mischievous antics, missing items, and all else ferret.

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 4 (permalink) Old 05-24-2002, 02:51 AM Thread Starter

Exclamation Attention..Possible CDV exposure

I know both the woman who had her ferrets put to sleep(from another ferret list) and personally know the other woman who is blatantly going to a ferret show, knowing her ferrets have been exposed to/carrying CDV, and I find the whole situation sickening

*crosspost from the FML*

I feel that I should warn those that may be attending the Ohio Show
this weekend. There is an exhibitor showing that has been exposed to (and may have had an outbreak) of Canine distemper and is still not only attending but showing their ferrets and selling their products.

This to me is not only wrong, but a danger to other ferrets. CDV is a highly contagious disease that kills ferrets. A person in NJ has
already had to humanely put down %# ferrets because of this exposure.

Please - if you are attending this show - take all precautions. Don't handle anyone else's ferrets - and if you do, disinfect in between (purell is not enough). When you get home, strip and bag all of your clothes. Disrobe if you can outside of your home, including your shoes. Disinfect these clothes and change into new before entering your home. If you have ferrets attending the show, don't allow anyone other than the judges to handle them. Disinfect the bedding and carriers before entering your home. Canine distemper may not be 100% fatal, but the ferrets that survive are horribly damaged.

This may sound a little extreme but since the person in question is not ethical enough to bow out of the show, these types of precautions are necessary to protect the other ferrets in the show hall. It seems that the possibility of a ribbon or trophy is more important then the welfare of other ferrets and that is a **** shame.

[JF]
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 4 (permalink) Old 05-24-2002, 09:26 AM
Alena

I cannot believe ppl are that irresponsible and money hungry!!!

post #3 of 4 (permalink) Old 05-24-2002, 08:48 PM Thread Starter

and all over a couple of 10 cent ribbons to win
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 4 (permalink) Old 06-07-2002, 09:01 AM

OMG, that is so irresponsible. I can't believe that someone would put a ribbon before the health of a animal. Ughhh this disgusts me.