Barney is being bad - Paw Talk - Pet Forums
Ferret Discussion Mischievous antics, missing items, and all else ferret.

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 7 (permalink) Old 04-02-2003, 09:42 AM Thread Starter
Adolescent Pup

Flag Barney is being bad

Well, Barney has decided to dig all the food out of his bowl and now it is all over the bottom of the cage. So I have to keep filling it up and he keeps digging it out. I have no idea why he has started doing this....Any ideas?

Pam and the crew
Izzy - St. Bernard
Selena - Chihuahua
Lily - Aussie Shepard/Brittney Spainel
Hershey Kisses - Basset Hound
Jazmen- Basset Hound
Hannah - Great Dane
Prissy - Ball Python
Sheba - Ball Python
George - Ferret

Waiting for me at the Rainbow Bridge.
Hank - Long Hair Dachshund
Lil' Bit - St. Bernard
Namoi - cat
Major - cat
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 7 (permalink) Old 04-02-2003, 03:03 PM
Obsessed With Turtles

Pammie... how old is Barney? I have had that problem with 3 of my 4 ferrets. They have all but 1 (and she is the youngest)outgrown this annoying habit! I think they are doing it partly to play with it... but I also read somewhere that they may also do this because the don't like their food or what they are being given?? What are you feeding them?

In reallity I think they do it because they want that piece at the bottom of the bowl, ya know the very last piece!

I know it is frustrating... but it will eventually stop. mabey you could put some kind of cage guard that wraps around the outside of the cage to at least keep it in the cage? Another thing I did which didn't stop it from happeneing but reduced the mess a little is went to the pet store and found a bowl that has the top curved in a little (they are made to keep the food in!) that might be worth a try!
post #3 of 7 (permalink) Old 04-03-2003, 08:37 AM Thread Starter
Adolescent Pup

Flag

I have no idea how old they are, I am guessing under a year. They still act like babies. But like I said the guy just dropped them off and left. I thought they might not like the food but, they have been eating it for 2 weeks now. It is the 8-1 stuff. The store only had that in at the time and they were on cat food before I got them. So do think I should try something else? I can order something off line if I need to.

Betty doesn't do it, only Barney.... But when she wants to eat Barney has dumped it all out. So I have to fill it back up again.

I have to go to big my moms this weekend maybe I will llook for new bowl for them.

Thanks, Kay...again.

Pam and the crew
Izzy - St. Bernard
Selena - Chihuahua
Jazmen- Basset Hound
Hannah - Great Dane
Prissy - Ball Python
Sheba - Ball Python
George - Ferret

Lil' Bit - St. Bernard
Namoi - cat
Major - cat
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 7 (permalink) Old 04-03-2003, 09:20 AM
Obsessed With Turtles

Pammie...
the 8 in 1 is good! is it in a clear bag or a white bag? (the clear bag I believe is the Ultra Blend & the white bag is the Ultimate) of the 2 the ultimate is better.
I personally am going to be switching foods. I am going to start buying "Superior Choice Natural" (so far it is the best food I have found.) Unfortunately at this point you can only order it online. The price isn't that bad though. It is sold through www.theferretstore.com if you choose to do this though go through Paw Talk's Afiliates Link (it helps support PT!)

As for Barney digging... I wouldn't worry about it being the food... he is just being a normal kit! (It seems to me mine stopped doing it around 1 -1 1/2 years old, but keep in mind they are all individual. I found my bowel at Petco for under 8.00 I believe. If you want when I get home from work I will take a picture of it so you can see what it looks like and know what to look for.)
post #5 of 7 (permalink) Old 04-03-2003, 09:27 AM Thread Starter
Adolescent Pup

Yes... Hubby is blowing his top on all the food Barney is wasting...lol. Food is in clear bag... I think I will switch it.

Pam and the crew
Izzy - St. Bernard
Selena - Chihuahua
Jazmen- Basset Hound
Hannah - Great Dane
Prissy - Ball Python
Sheba - Ball Python
George - Ferret

Lil' Bit - St. Bernard
Namoi - cat
Major - cat
post #6 of 7 (permalink) Old 04-03-2003, 08:29 PM
silverlynx

I had the same problem with one of mine doing the same thing. Skunky would constantly just dig all the food out and throw it at the bottom. He even started to dig the litter stuff out of his litter pan. He went nuts throwing the stuff everywhere! Indy would just look at him like "what are you doing!!!" It was annoying at times, but he eventually got over it and stopped. It sucks that he wasted so much food, but hey, I guess in his ferret mind he thought it was fun, so it did not bother me. Just like when I got the cat litter box for them to use the bath room in when they were out in the play room, Skunky went diving into it throwing poo and rocks everywhere.lol I then decided to just lay news paper down and that worked. Ferrets can be a little crazy at times, but they are so much fun and super sweet! I use the Ultimate 8-1 and they love it and I have not had any problems with it. Good luck with him. He will eventually stop someday.lol

Misty

post #7 of 7 (permalink) Old 04-04-2003, 07:49 AM Thread Starter
Adolescent Pup

Someday....lol. Well I hope that will be soon, it doesn't bother me. I think it is funny, But my Husband is a big old grumpy butt. He is very picky about animal food, See I don't work,Well I have 4 boys, thats my job , and hubby has to buy the animal food. So he gets very weird when it gets wasted. So I try to keep him from getting all weird on me when it comes to the food thing. I hate to get NASTY with him.... So I am going shopping tomorrow for new bowl and litter pan. So he will shut up about the wasted food.. I am glad to know that Barney will stop doing that one day, but it no big deal to me, I laugh when he does it.

Pam and the crew
Izzy - St. Bernard
Selena - Chihuahua
Jazmen- Basset Hound
Hannah - Great Dane
Prissy - Ball Python
Sheba - Ball Python
George - Ferret