Between a rock & a hard place - Paw Talk - Pet Forums
Ferret Discussion Mischievous antics, missing items, and all else ferret.

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 13 (permalink) Old 05-10-2003, 12:35 AM Thread Starter
Obsessed With Turtles

Unhappy Between a rock & a hard place

Ugh... I am stuck. Winnie has been terrible lately
She was such a sweetheart when I first got her but now she is the ferret from ****! (can I say that ) She is affraid of EVERYTHING! When she is out of the cage playing she is fine with the other ferrets but whenever she sees a human she poofs up her tail to 3 times its normal size, backs up into the wall trying to be invisible and arches her back at you. No matter how slow you move & how sweet you talk to her if you reach for her she tries to bite you & sometimes even act like she is going to attack you. Nobody has EVER hurt or done anything to give her a reason to be affraid either

Tonight I noticed he grab Mojo by the neck & shake her head violently?? What is she doing?

I realize a lot of people one here come to me for answers but this time I am coming to you... can you ask around for me & see if someone knows of anything I can do??

I know this sounds terrible (please forgive me in advance) but I don't know what else to do with her. If she doesn't stop I may have to get rid of her. I can't have her attack my kids & hurt the other 3 ferrets. I am stuck between a rock & a hard place...
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 13 (permalink) Old 05-10-2003, 12:59 PM

Not sure "winnie's" situation. How long have you had her
has you always been this way? I would think that if she just started this out of no where there is an underlying problem and should be seen by a vet. If she has always been this way the only thing you can do is maybe separate her and spend lots of one on one time. If this is not possible then maybe finding her a ferret knowledgeable person with no young kids in the house. Sorry you are going threw this. I know the feeling I spent a year with a ferret that was a bitter and it never stopped. She has since been placed with a very ferret knowledgeable person. She still bites but she has made a lot of progress.
post #3 of 13 (permalink) Old 05-10-2003, 01:13 PM

Fsty I have to agree with Glidertales, because I honestly don't know what to tell you... I am just lucky that mookie turned out to be the such a sweetheart because he was the complete opposite when we got him, I hope it all works out and you don't have to find her a new home wishing you the best of luck
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 13 (permalink) Old 05-10-2003, 04:40 PM Thread Starter
Obsessed With Turtles

Thanks guys... I have had her about 3 months or so now... and when we first got her she wasn't as bad... but over time seems to get gradually worse. I try to spend a little "extra" attention to her... but there is just something off about her. I am not going to give up that easily though... gonna try to find an answer or a cause first... at least then IF I do have to find her a different home I will feel better knowing I did everything I could.
I'll keep you updated if I am able to find anything out.
post #5 of 13 (permalink) Old 05-13-2003, 05:23 AM
NewFerretMom

My ferret, Tigger, also did the violent shaking with my baby, Nibbles whenever I first put them together. Now that they have been in the same cage for a few days, he doesn't seem to do that anymore. They actually sleep and play together now and it's great. Tigger was also a terrible biter when I first got him. I started spraying bitter apple on my hands and arms and toes whenever I took him out of his cage. He hasn't bitten me since I did this for a couple of days. Also, when he would act all scared/try to intimidate me, I would bring out the ferretone and scoop him up and give him drops of it while I gave him lots of petting and talked softly to him. After just a few days of this, he now plays "limp ferret" whenever I pick him up and he seems to enjoy coming to me for attention. Also, the biting has completely stopped. If I put the bitter apple on, from the first time on, he doesn't even attempt to bite me.

post #6 of 13 (permalink) Old 05-13-2003, 11:09 PM Thread Starter
Obsessed With Turtles

I am glad to hear things are getting better for you I wish it were that easy with Winnie I am still at a loss with her... but NOT ready to give up quite yet... there is just some kind of evil mean streak in her
post #7 of 13 (permalink) Old 05-14-2003, 08:51 AM

Keep the faith there Fsty it will work out I'm positive.... Your good with Ferrets, I am sure over a little bit of time the answer will come to you, or I hope it does for your sake Best of luck
post #8 of 13 (permalink) Old 05-14-2003, 09:30 AM Thread Starter
Obsessed With Turtles

Thanks Kim.... I'll keep everyone updated on how things are going!
post #9 of 13 (permalink) Old 05-14-2003, 03:00 PM

Just out of curiosity where is "winnie" from ?
post #10 of 13 (permalink) Old 05-14-2003, 10:33 PM Thread Starter
Obsessed With Turtles

I got Winnie from Petco (same place I got Snoopy & Tigger although they are both Marshal Farm ferrets) she was from a breeder in Apple Valley, MN (called "The Ferret Farm").
Might I add this is the first time I have heard of this outfit & have never been able to find someone else who has a ferret that came from this place... I am beginning to think that the dispositions on their ferrets are not very good! In fact I don't think that Petco deals with them anymore... I think I need to talk to the manager about that.
( I found her health certificate btw... I bought her on 2-26-03 & she was born abt 12-24-02)
I have also notice she seems a little more affraid of males then females?? My MIL suggested training her with grapes? has anyone else ever heard this. (she has a good deal of knowledge about them & said she agrees with me that she is definately doing this out of fear)

Last edited by fstybrat; 05-14-2003 at 11:19 PM.
post #11 of 13 (permalink) Old 05-15-2003, 01:27 PM

Never heard of training with grapes, I am sure it is about the same as a treat. I have never heard of the ferret farm and I also did a little researching on them and it looks as if they are out of buisness. Does her health cert. have any contact info. I am curious as to who this breeder is now. Our petco has Marshalls as well. My next lil one is going to be from a breeder I never relized just how many breeders are around. Good luck with Winnie and I hope you can get through to her. Please keep us updated.
post #12 of 13 (permalink) Old 05-15-2003, 03:50 PM Thread Starter
Obsessed With Turtles

Thanks Glider! the only contact infor there is for The feret farm is a po box address Thought about writing to them directly but then again all that may be doing is stirring up trouble... as if they would admit it anyway??

I will definately keep you updated!
post #13 of 13 (permalink) Old 05-16-2003, 12:03 AM
ferret_frenzy

Fsty, I am sorry to hear about the problems with this lil one. Maybe she just needs to have a bit more time. I have a little girl who is still not sure of her humans, but she has not gotten mean or anything. Do you think it may be something medical?

Tags
health certificate