Biting - Paw Talk - Pet Forums
Ferret Discussion Mischievous antics, missing items, and all else ferret.

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 17 (permalink) Old 04-02-2007, 10:39 AM Thread Starter
Guarded by Waffles

Biting

Why would Gunny start biting me all of a sudden. I thought she was protecting me from my mother when she bit her but now she is biting my feet and I dont' know why. When she starts to bite I put her up but that doesn't seem to be working. Should I start squirting her with water or what?

Christine
Mommy to:
2 cats: Suess and Jezebel
2 horses: Winter and Junior
3 dogs: Panda, Maggie, Snoopy

And the rest:
5 cows, a bull and one mean buffalo

Gone but not forgotten:
Jester, cat
Waffles, dog
Gunny, ferret

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Check out
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 17 (permalink) Old 04-02-2007, 06:24 PM
Playful Pup

Hmm I don't know much about ferrets but are you sure you aren't mistaking nibbling for biting? I know rats nibble feet, don't know about ferrets. Secondly, I wouldn't recommend spraying her with water because that could make her scared of you. Which you wouldn't want.

My fuzzies~

1 black& white tomcat Buddy

1 pandabear hamster Panda

2 Sheltie dogs Sakura and Sasuke

I will miss you always..

R.I.P. Tommy my first cat. you were more than just a cat to me. I will never forget you. 20/09/04
R.I.P Minnie my fancy mouse. your babies never got a chance to really meet you.. 30/03/07
R.I.P Mickey my fancy mouse. 03/04/07
post #3 of 17 (permalink) Old 04-03-2007, 09:20 AM
Where, or Where Could That Fairy Be?

How old is Gunny? And this is brand new behavior?

I have been sent a Valentine

~Annie~ B.B.- cat, Toffee-ferret and RIP hedgehogs, Prickles, Pepper, Coconut and Nutmeg
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 17 (permalink) Old 04-03-2007, 11:14 AM
Paw-Talk Addict

Mine bite my ankles when they want to play...they've only recently started doing it as I've been more busy lately. I can tell because they'll walk up to my ankles, casually sink their teeth into them, then start wardancing/running away while stopping to look back. So then...I chase them everywhere and push them and poke them and all that fun stuff you can do with ferrets without making them angry. Maybe she wants to play? You should try chasing her around more and throwing stuff for her to chase and dangling stuff in her face and using the squeaky toy a lot if thats the case -- she'll love it.
post #5 of 17 (permalink) Old 04-03-2007, 12:30 PM Thread Starter
Guarded by Waffles

She is about six years old and I am positive that this is biting! She hurts! She knaws on my ankle whenever I let her out and I dont get it. I will try playing with her more and maybe that will do the trick. Thanks

Christine
Mommy to:

And the rest:

Gone but not forgotten:
Jester, cat
Waffles, dog
Gunny, ferret

Check out
post #6 of 17 (permalink) Old 04-03-2007, 07:41 PM
RAT ADDICT

I don't know much about ferrets and the very first ferret I met was a biter.He belonged to a neighbour and was really saucy.The neigbours never took care of him tho,so that explains it.This was years ago tho.

Then recently (like 2 yrs ago) I met a women with two ferrets and they were really sweet and playful and wouldn't bite or even nip!They were mouthy,but wouldn't even put their teeth on you! It was cute.

Sorry,no adivce...just thought I would share!

* Lisa *

* To the world you are ONE person,but to a rat you are the world *

* It's a rat thing...you wouldn't understand! *
post #7 of 17 (permalink) Old 04-03-2007, 09:43 PM
Paw-Talk Addict

Yeaap, ferrets require proper socializing. Once properly socialized, they're just so playful. They're fighters by nature(they even have a wardance and their mating is very barbaric haha), so their biting at times although a bit hard is usually given with good intentions =].
post #8 of 17 (permalink) Old 04-03-2007, 10:35 PM
Paw-Talk Addict

mine used to bite hard and it hurt
I would say in a firm voice "No" and tap on thier nose and put them on thier back and drag them for a sec. it took a couple months but they are good boys now... every once in a while they get a little too excited and bite hard.. It only takes a quick NO and a shake of my finger and they no they messed up and have to play nice....... I think your ferret is over excited they don'y know thier strenghth when they are too hiper or excited... Im sure she's not doing it on purpose

post #9 of 17 (permalink) Old 04-04-2007, 07:33 AM
Where, or Where Could That Fairy Be?

The reason I asked her age is that the symptoms of adrenal disease often starts out as agressive behavior. If this is new for her after 6 years, I would be very concerned there is more than just a social cause for it. Does she have any other symptoms of adrenal- weight loss, loss of fur, anything?

I have been sent a Valentine

~Annie~ B.B.- cat, Toffee-ferret and RIP hedgehogs, Prickles, Pepper, Coconut and Nutmeg
post #10 of 17 (permalink) Old 04-04-2007, 11:37 AM Thread Starter
Guarded by Waffles

no she is perfectly fine. No weight loss, no loss of fur or anything. I will keep my eye on her though. Do you think I should take her to the vet or wait and see if she behaves on ehr own. I played with her when she tried to bite me and she was very happy about that.

Christine
Mommy to:

And the rest:

Gone but not forgotten:
Jester, cat
Waffles, dog
Gunny, ferret

Check out
post #11 of 17 (permalink) Old 04-04-2007, 01:42 PM
Will It Ever Change?

it sounds like play nipping, my ratties do it, my dogs have done it, even the cat. whatever you do, don't punish with a nose tap. aside from the fact that i dont believe in it, i've heard it turn the furries nasty (i can see why)

"If you can't change your fate, change your attitude." - Amy Tan
post #12 of 17 (permalink) Old 04-04-2007, 03:38 PM Thread Starter
Guarded by Waffles

she's not nipping it hurts when she "nips" and leaves teeth marks

Christine
Mommy to:

And the rest:

Gone but not forgotten:
Jester, cat
Waffles, dog
Gunny, ferret

Check out
post #13 of 17 (permalink) Old 04-08-2007, 09:43 AM
Will It Ever Change?

maybe she's ill and grumpy?

"If you can't change your fate, change your attitude." - Amy Tan
post #14 of 17 (permalink) Old 04-08-2007, 02:12 PM
Playful Pup

Take her to the vet?

My fuzzies~

1 black& white tomcat Buddy

1 pandabear hamster Panda

2 Sheltie dogs Sakura and Sasuke

I will miss you always..

R.I.P. Tommy my first cat. you were more than just a cat to me. I will never forget you. 20/09/04
R.I.P Minnie my fancy mouse. your babies never got a chance to really meet you.. 30/03/07
R.I.P Mickey my fancy mouse. 03/04/07
post #15 of 17 (permalink) Old 04-09-2007, 12:07 PM Thread Starter
Guarded by Waffles

Good news! She has stopped doing it as much and I havent done anything besides wear socks. I think she wants to play or just to get my attention becasue when i am wearing socks she just licks the socks. I need to get her rabies shot soon so ill ask the vet then. Thanks for all yoru advice and I will keep you updated!

Christine
Mommy to:

And the rest:

Gone but not forgotten:
Jester, cat
Waffles, dog
Gunny, ferret

Check out

Tags
adrenal disease