Buddy's story - Paw Talk - Pet Forums
Ferret Discussion Mischievous antics, missing items, and all else ferret.

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 8 (permalink) Old 01-05-2006, 10:59 PM Thread Starter

Buddy's story

We have a new little boy named buddy, we have had him for a month and a half. This is his story.

He came to us from a lady that had 5. She was selling them in pairs and was planning to take Buddy that Saturday, (we got him on a Thursday) to be euthanzed. She had taken him to a less then good vet here in town and they told her that he had ECE. That it was a wasting disease that at best he had another year to live from it. They told her that any time he started to get diarrhea to give him the antibiotics to him, that are now over a year old. She said for a treat that she would give Buddy Orange juice. So she gave Buddy to us instead of having him PTS. She thought that the ECE was why he was so thin, she didn't realize that it was really that at least one of the others was not letting him eat. He was so thin that you could see every notch in his spine, and his hindquarters where totally sunken in. You could also feel every rib. He weights about 8oz. While trying to feed him we realized that he could not eat hard kibble. After a trip to the vet we found out that if he had had ECE it was long gone. The diarrhea that he was having was from the OJ. He has been on a soft food diet since. He was to the point that he would try to walk and just fall over and lay there for a few seconds before getting up again. He also had food aggression issues. If he was out for playtime and got a snack, he would attack anyone around him. One night Logan was giving him turkey from one side of the couch, I was sitting in the middle and he ran across my lap to get it and ran back to the other side to eat it. Well when he decided to go to get another piece my Chihuahua had jumped up on the couch next to me, and Buddy thought that he was blocking his way to the food so he nipped Poopster on the nose. He has been in a solitary cage since he came in. Well now that he is gaining weight he is realizing that we are not going to let him go with out food and that he doesn't need to fight for it like he did. So now he is calming down, he was out tonight, with a treat and Bandit came up and pounced him. I was afraid of aggression, but nothing happened. We let him out with the others, since the only time he has show aggression was when food is around. Yet tonight he seems to have turned the corner. He even went up and was eating out of the dish with the others. He is also filling out; he has gained almost a pound! You can barely feel his spin, his hindquarters are filled out and he is looking great. I am so happy, tonight is the first night I have not been totally worried about him, I think he has finally started on the road to recovery. I will post pics some time in the near future. I don't have any pics from when he first came in, I couldn't take them he was so small.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 8 (permalink) Old 01-06-2006, 12:00 AM
Aspires to Change Oil

Sounds like he is on his way to recovery and that's great you're helping him down it! Its sad that the woman was poorly informed and that he came to you in such condition. I hope he continues improving.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

, [username] .
are you new member? have questions?

Feel free to PM or IM me.
Contacts are my profile.
post #3 of 8 (permalink) Old 01-06-2006, 04:19 AM
Movin' Up in the Pack

It's great that he's getting better, can't wait to see photos!

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 8 (permalink) Old 01-10-2006, 06:23 PM

Bravo for taking him in and helping him recover!
post #5 of 8 (permalink) Old 01-16-2006, 08:35 AM

Sounds like you are his personal angel. That was a good thing you did to recue him.
post #6 of 8 (permalink) Old 02-07-2006, 04:33 PM

How glad I am that this little ferret is with somebody who knows how to help him. Thanks for the good work and all the best to the little guy
post #7 of 8 (permalink) Old 02-08-2006, 11:56 AM

Buddy's story

I'm so glad you shared Buddy's story. It will help everybody who reads it! There is just so much mis-information out there... guess at least things are WAY better for the little ferts now than even a few years ago, though. Too bad Buddy had to go through such a hard time before he found you! Well, keep up the good work! Looking forward to seeing pics!!
post #8 of 8 (permalink) Old 02-10-2006, 04:44 PM

Aw, what a sad story, but with a lovely ending. Am so glad you got Buddy and even more glad that Buddy's doing so well.

The ignorance of others in an information-filled world scares me. Ignorance is such a dangerous thing! I'm so thankful you got to Buddy in time.

I'd love to see pics!