Cat food? - Paw Talk - Pet Forums
Ferret Discussion Mischievous antics, missing items, and all else ferret.

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 20 (permalink) Old 07-08-2007, 03:16 PM Thread Starter

Cat food?

In the future we are thinking about getting a pair of ferrets, from a breeder probably, and I realize that ferret food is kind of difficult to find around here, but there is one store that sells it. Anyway, I was wondering if ferrets can eat cat food [or kitten food , cause I heard they need lots of protein]? I want to feed them food that will definitely not make them sick, so I want be sure. If it's just "ok" or not really good for them, I will try to work out the ferret food issue T_T.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 20 (permalink) Old 07-08-2007, 03:48 PM
Adolescent Pup

Innova EVO makes a ferret food. If you can find a store that carries Innova, they will probably be able to order you the ferret food.
Grain-Free Dog Food, Cat Food, Ferret Food & Dog Treats – Meat-Based Pet Food – EVO Pet Products
post #3 of 20 (permalink) Old 07-08-2007, 09:47 PM Thread Starter

So then, cat food is bad for them?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 20 (permalink) Old 07-09-2007, 09:21 PM
RAT ADDICT

Thats something I wondered too.I think I am going to look into ferrets now as well.

* Lisa *

* To the world you are ONE person,but to a rat you are the world *

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

* It's a rat thing...you wouldn't understand! *
post #5 of 20 (permalink) Old 07-09-2007, 10:15 PM Thread Starter

Yeah..ferrets are interesting...
Um, I'm surprised nobody has attempted to answer my question yet?
post #6 of 20 (permalink) Old 07-10-2007, 12:55 AM
RAT ADDICT

Well unfortunatly the ferret part of the forum is not very active.I know there are a few ferret people here,I just have no clue where they are right now.

* Lisa *

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #7 of 20 (permalink) Old 07-10-2007, 03:33 AM
laugh often

I don't know the answer to your question but you can probablly pm the question to turkeyman and he might be able to help you.

When I'm down my pets turns my frown upside down

2 Dogs: Harley and Diesel
2 rabbits: Mystic and Thumper
1 Cat- Luna
post #8 of 20 (permalink) Old 07-10-2007, 10:38 AM

i have been feeding my ferrets iams kitten food
i asked the vet and he said it was a good food to feed them... I asked if i should switch to something made for ferrets and he said no give them the Iams kitten food........ So that is what i feed them and always will feed them....... this vet was good and smart and fixed my ferret when he was sick so i will stick with his advice

lots of people will say yes feed them cat food or no don't

i say yes
feed them Iams kitten that is the best cat food for ferrets
post #9 of 20 (permalink) Old 07-10-2007, 07:28 PM Thread Starter

Great, thanks!
post #10 of 20 (permalink) Old 07-16-2007, 02:16 PM
Adolescent Pup

Iams is good for no animal...I wouldn't feed sewer rats Iams let alone pets. Iams is full of by-products, fillers, and chemicals and has absolutely NO nutrition value...and of course your vet said yes Iams is a good food to feed because vets are ENDORSED and PAID to say it is!!!

Kitten food is not good for a ferret because it has to much protien and fat, which could cause fatty liver disease later on in life, and Iams is a great way to get cancer too!! If anything switch your ferret over to a HIGH QUALITY adult cat food, or high quality ferret food such as Marshall ferret or EVO ferret.

HIGH QUALITY FOOD:
Innova
Innova EVO
California Natural
Solid Gold
Blue Buffalo
Chicken Soup
Eagle Pack
Wysong
Nature's Variety
Fromm
and there is many more!!

FOODS TO STAY AWAY FROM:
Iams
Eukanuba
Purina
Pedigree
Science Diet
anything at Walmart, or the Grocery Store.

Here's a couple of websites Procter & Gamble's Cruel Animal Tests
The Dog Food Project - How does your Dog Food Brand compare?
post #11 of 20 (permalink) Old 07-16-2007, 06:04 PM

I haven't been to the ferret forum for a while, but I'll try to answer your question PandaHamster.

There are many cat foods that are actually very good for ferrets. Don't take the food as simply cat food -- read the ingredients to get an idea of what the food actually is.

There are some cat foods that beat out the well-known brands of ferret food -- since ferrets have diets similar to those of kittens.

Both Iams and Marshall's produce very bad food for ferrets. They both contain corn as a third ingredient, which means it is a fairly high percentage of the kibble pellet itself. Ferrets are obligate carnivores, so their food should contain real, quality meats as the first 4 to 5 ingredients -- before vegetables or other fillers start appearing.

Contrary to the above post, Eukanuba kibble(both chicken & rice or lamb & rice)is a great food. It ranks very high in terms of ingredient quality and the protein/fat/fiber ratio. I feed my ferrets a mix of Eukanuba, Zupreem Ferret, and Innova EVO.

Innova EVO, by itself, is notorious for producing foul smelling feces. This is partially why I use a mix of foods, not to mention gaining the benefits that one food may have over another.

Overall, if you're looking for a good ferret food -- try to stay around the following guidelines:

Protein -> 33-45%
Fat --> 20-25%
Fiber --> Less than 3%

Also: Make sure that at least the first four ingredients of the food are meat. Example --

Eukanuba: Lamb, Beef Liver, Catfish, Chicken Meal
Innova Evo: Turkey, Chicken, Turkey Meal, Chicken Meal, Potatoes, Herring(potatoes are used as a binding agent for the kibble)

Other great foods are Natural Gold, Wysong Archetypal, Arden Grange Kitten, and The Ferret Store Ferret Food. (Source: Artroxy's Food Chart)

Good luck in finding a good food. I'd highly suggest mixing at least two high-quality foods. You'll see the benefits for both you and the ferrets in the long run.
post #12 of 20 (permalink) Old 07-17-2007, 12:50 AM

ok so i tried that innova and my ferret puked and had diarrea and became ill untill i gave him back his iams.... that is part of the reason im terrified of trying something new.....
i did the mix 1/3 new and 2/3 old food and no matter how many ways i tried it they got sick
and I also did the marshal ferret stuff and same thing.....
puking and diarrea.. and wasting away before my eyes.....
so im reallly scared to try anything else.....
post #13 of 20 (permalink) Old 07-17-2007, 11:10 AM

That's definitely scary . After a certain age, ferrets become so used to what they grew up with and are very picky towards new things.

You probably won't have too hard a time finding ZuPreem or Eukanuba Lamb & Rice(or Chicken & Rice) foods. Of course, it sucks if you buy a whole bag and then it goes to waste. But, those are good foods that ferrets actually love the taste of -- and foods that you may want to try in the future.

I also want to add to this thread the possibility of both full and partial "raw" diets and adding some sort of poultry "soup"(chicken parts/turkey parts) to their diet.

I used to feed my ferrets both rats and mice(which is how I got into liking rats -- weird huh). Breeders will feed their ferrets things like steamed meat, live chicks(yes, baby chickens), and scrambled eggs. Ferrets also love hard boiled eggs as a treat.

For making any sort of meat soup, this thread has good info:
http://www.paw-talk.net/forums/f20/m...ons-25757.html
post #14 of 20 (permalink) Old 07-17-2007, 11:19 AM
RAT ADDICT

Ferrets can eat rats and mice?
I knew that they were predators of them,but I didn't even think of people feeding their ferrets rodents.It never crossed my mind.

* Lisa *

post #15 of 20 (permalink) Old 07-17-2007, 01:19 PM

well i will try the eukanuba
cross your fingers
and i have given him chicken before and that didn't work either
I will try the hard boiled egg thing too sounds interesting
what about crickets or buggs you think they would be able to eat those
my cats eat any bug that gets in the house
maybe ferrets can eat that
not to mention those meercats all they eat are bugs and they look similar to a ferret

Tags
cat food, chicken meal, chicken soup, dog food, ferret food, kitten food, pet food, royal canin