Considering adopting a pair of ferrets... - Paw Talk - Pet Forums
Ferret Discussion Mischievous antics, missing items, and all else ferret.

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 16 (permalink) Old 05-13-2005, 07:22 PM Thread Starter
Part of the Pack

Red face Considering adopting a pair of ferrets...

There are two ferrets up for adoption here in town, they are 10 months old, descented and neutered boys. And they are beautiful too!! I've never owned ferrets before but I've played with them and they are so endearing and funny. I know they are prone to health problems like adrenal disease later on down the road, and that would be hard to deal with if it should happen. But they are still young and should have nice long lives ahead of them. Here's their pic:

I'm going to meet them before making a decision. It's a big decision to make! If I commit to adopting them, it's for life! So I better be sure. How much time do they require on a daily basis? How much can I expect to spend on food every week? I'm thinking of building them a C&C cage out of the mesh grids. And I can provide all the accessories (litterpan, hide outs, hammocks, etc) that they would need. Is an hour of playtime each night enough?

If you were me, could you resist those adorable little faces? Help!

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 16 (permalink) Old 05-18-2005, 10:50 AM Thread Starter
Part of the Pack

Well I adopted them! I didn't expect to come home with them so soon but after seeing their awful living conditions, I had no choice but to adopt them right there and get them out of that dump. Possibly the nastiest house I've ever set foot in in. There was cat piss and crap all over their carpet. Stank to high heaven!

The boys are being fed Wal-Mart cat food and they were living in a tiny one story cage with no room to move or climb. Absolutely pathetic! I'm surprised they are healthy at all with the way the litterbox was overflowing. The lady was not mean-spirited or trying to be cruel, but she obviously has financial and emotional difficulties and cannot care for her pets or her children properly. Very sad.

So now the boys, "Rascal" and "Silver" as she calls them, are here and I just ordered them a new Ferret Kingdom Super Pet cage. It will be a HUGE improvement for them!They are the sweetest things and now it's time for pics.

First up is Rascal (the silver mitt).

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #3 of 16 (permalink) Old 05-18-2005, 10:50 AM Thread Starter
Part of the Pack

And here is Silver (the sable mix?):

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 16 (permalink) Old 05-18-2005, 02:10 PM
Movin' Up in the Pack

They are soooo cute!!!! Way to go on giving them a new life!!! Good luck with them.

Because I was born in the South, I'm a Southerner. If I had been born in the North, the West or the Central Plains, I would be just a human being.
Clyde Edgerton
post #5 of 16 (permalink) Old 05-18-2005, 02:12 PM
Movin' Up in the Pack

Oh, I love Rascal's nose. It looks like bubble gum.

Because I was born in the South, I'm a Southerner. If I had been born in the North, the West or the Central Plains, I would be just a human being.
Clyde Edgerton
post #6 of 16 (permalink) Old 05-18-2005, 02:13 PM
Paw-Talk Addict

They are adorable. They will have a much better life with you.
post #7 of 16 (permalink) Old 05-18-2005, 02:21 PM
Stinky Liverbrain

They are beautiful!!! I love Rascal's second and third pic! Congratulation on giving the 2 boys a new life. 8)

Dimaris

post #8 of 16 (permalink) Old 05-18-2005, 03:12 PM Thread Starter
Part of the Pack

Thank you all! Rascal's nose DOES look like bubble gum! LOL

He also has a thing for cleaning supplies/tools, loves dragging my Swiffer mop around, wrestles with my handbroom, and I even caught him sneaking a pair of needle-nose pliers back to his "den". I have to put away all my tools or he will steal them!

Silver is the sweet one, he loves to go exploring but always keep an eye out for his buddy Rascal. They are best friends and it is just precious!

post #9 of 16 (permalink) Old 05-18-2005, 07:56 PM
Part of the Pack

No I wouldn't be able to resist them either. Kenny is the reasoning sound I hear all the time. Unfortunately, we have all the animals we can afford at the moment. I adopted two ferrets, when we were living in a small apartment size house and they were too much for me to handle at the time. Plus Kenny was always complaining about the smell. Our house was so small though, I understand where he was coming from. It was about 600 sqft. Thats really small, apartments are bigger than that! I ended up having to bring them back It was heart breaking.

Some day I would love to have some again as they were so much fun. Mine were trying to be litter trained... but they always ended up missing somehow and I would come home to poop all on the outside of the cage and on the floor basically everywhere. It just wasn't the right time for us I guess.

with your two new additions!!! Are you going to rename them, or keep their names? They are sooooo cute. I'm glad you could save them and give them a better life.

post #10 of 16 (permalink) Old 05-18-2005, 08:53 PM Thread Starter
Part of the Pack

Thank you, Nikki! I'm extremely lucky that these boys have immaculate litterbox habits, their poo is pretty gross and I can imagine how awful it would be to come home to that mess all over the floor. They even go to the cats' litterbox when they are outside of the cage for playtime - smarties!

I guess I'm going to keep their names for now, because I'm too uncreative to rename them! Rascal seems to know his name, but I'm not sure if Silver does.

post #11 of 16 (permalink) Old 05-18-2005, 09:30 PM
Fluffy Potatokisser

They are Gorgeous!! Congratulations! We had a ferret come into work yesterday for Distemper and Rabies vaccines...hehe! He bit my fingers ALL up while Doc gave him his shots, but you know the funny thing? It didn't hurt or draw blood, yet my flat toothed chinnie mom is so overprotective of her new baby she charges me and bleeds me! Congrats again, they are just too precious!

Chin Mom to Lila, Skye, Ty, Rolex, Calypso, Lizzie, Jax, Sam, Sage, Lorenzo, Spitfire, Holly, Dylan, Leia, Punky, Kylie, Skylar, Jetta, Oreo, Emma, Forest, Georgie, Alexis, Picador and all the kits!
Pittie Mom to Kali and Orion
Rattie Mom to Drake and Dumbo
Bunny Mom to Dutchie
Plain ole Mom to Zach, Brandon and Connor!
Come visit us at
post #12 of 16 (permalink) Old 05-19-2005, 12:16 PM
Part of the Pack

It took me almost a week to name mine. I agree it is so hard trying to pick names.

How is it going with them? Sounds like its going really well. I'm so happy for them. You must really be excited!

post #13 of 16 (permalink) Old 05-19-2005, 01:44 PM
Movin' Up in the Pack

Aw Kim. They are both so cute! I would not have been able to resist those faces either. Ferret faces are like little teddy bear faces. I always have to walk quickly by them in the pet store. I always want one if I linger too long.
post #14 of 16 (permalink) Old 05-19-2005, 01:49 PM
Paw-Talk Lifer

They're precious, Kim! Congrats on the new additions!

Stephanie

post #15 of 16 (permalink) Old 05-19-2005, 02:53 PM Thread Starter
Part of the Pack

Thank you Mandie, Katie, and Steph! They are doing great, except Rascal is testing me a little by biting. He is the dominant ferret and I believe he is still trying to figure out his place here. I have a feeling it is just a temporary thing since it's not out of malice, more out of testing his boundaries. If I go into his cage while they're out to play - just to clean the litterbox or straighten things up - he will get protective of his cage and run over and bite me out of it. So that's no fun.

For now I'm just trying to be consistent with them and let him know I am not a threat, but I can't be a pushover either because Rascal will walk all over me. He also likes to nibble on my bare feet (ow!) and once he starts he can't stop. He just gets fixated on them and I have to put him back in the cage. Now I'm wearing covered-toe shoes everytime they're out to play but I am looking for any good advice to stop the nipping. Is using a spray bottle appropriate with ferrets? Saying "No" in a stern voice does no good. If I scruff him, he bites as well. Is this just a trust issue with Rascal? Or a dominance thing? Or maybe both?

Tags
adrenal disease, cat food, litter train, litter trained, pet store, teddy bear