The Dead Hold - Paw Talk - Pet Forums
Ferret Discussion Mischievous antics, missing items, and all else ferret.

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 10 (permalink) Old 05-16-2004, 11:02 PM Thread Starter
Obsessed With Turtles

The Dead Hold

When people refer to scruffing a ferret it often means to firmly grab ahold of the loose skin behind there neck. (similar as you would a kitten) It never ceases to amaze me at how this has a different effect on each ferret. In MOST cases if you are holding the right spot you will actually semi paralize the ferret (not permanently, only while they are in this postion).

May people use this technique in nip training a ferret and also for cutting nails.
When I do this to Tigger she actually looks DEAD! (which is why I now call it the dead hold instead of scruffing) Trust me... she is perfectly fine, just in a paralized state. (I was getting redy to cut her nails)

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 10 (permalink) Old 05-20-2004, 11:19 PM

it also causes excessive yawning lol
post #3 of 10 (permalink) Old 05-21-2004, 12:28 AM Thread Starter
Obsessed With Turtles

lol your right Nancy!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 10 (permalink) Old 05-27-2004, 05:19 PM
Playful Pup

yeah, mine ywn a lot when doing so.. can you hold them like that too long? can they breathe? they listen to you when you hold them like that,, cuz their mother did.. (or so thats the reson i was told why it was so effective.) my boy fights it,,, but my other is like yours, completely dead.lol

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Katie*Kat* })i({

My loving boyfriend, Chris

Chichillas: 42+
Ferrets: Lucy, Salsbury & Dark0
Sugar Gliders: Wicket, Endor, & Modell
Hedeghogs: Thistle & Morndred
Please take a look around my Site & or join my PETS FORUM.

post #5 of 10 (permalink) Old 05-27-2004, 06:03 PM Thread Starter
Obsessed With Turtles

I dunno about holding them like that too long, I don't think it hurts them, but I wouldn't do it anymore than needs to be done. As for your boy fighting you... try scruffing a little higher or lower. With my 4 ferrets they each have an "exact" spot you have to hold or it doesn't work right. For the most part they are all at the base of the skull (or just a little below) but with Winnie (my deaf one & youngest) it is almost between her shoulder blades.
As far as breathing I'm sure they can but I still wouldn't do it too long because if I recall correctly, yawning means lack of oxygen to the brain so it may "limit" their deep breathing. Nancy do you have the answer to this one?
post #6 of 10 (permalink) Old 05-27-2004, 07:11 PM

well, I wouldn't hold them like that for too long...I'm sure their neck would get sore after a while lol
Also, make sure you support their hind end while you're scruffing them...especially larger sized ferrets or ones that tend to struggle in a scruff. You can support it with your other hand or on a table or your lap or other surface. If not you'll be putting unnecessary strain on their spine.
Well, ferrets yawn all the time anyway...scruffed or unscruffed...I think it has a lot to do with the fact that they sleep 15-20 hours a day
Every ferret has a different scruffing spot...some are up higher, some lower. Right above the shoulder blades, in the middle of the back of their neck seems to be the easiest, since that's where most of the loose skin is. And some ferrets are easier to scruff than others. Some have more loose skin to grab back there while others have very little. Also, when you scruff, remember to use the flat sides or tips of your fingers against their skin, not your fingernails, or you could cause them discomfort
post #7 of 10 (permalink) Old 05-27-2004, 09:29 PM
Playful Pup

yeah, i kinda figured all that. but i wasnt sure that they could breathe.. but thanks a lot for the answers! =]

Katie*Kat* })i({

My loving boyfriend, Chris

Chichillas: 42+
Ferrets: Lucy, Salsbury & Dark0
Sugar Gliders: Wicket, Endor, & Modell
Hedeghogs: Thistle & Morndred
Please take a look around my Site & or join my PETS FORUM.

post #8 of 10 (permalink) Old 05-28-2004, 12:38 PM

lol, they can breathe, no worries
post #9 of 10 (permalink) Old 05-28-2004, 12:40 PM
Wants to Hug Hose Bunnies

I wish holding the cats like that way would make them be still for nail clipping! You should see the scratches on my legs from our last round, and I didn't do back feet that time!

post #10 of 10 (permalink) Old 05-28-2004, 02:57 PM

It does work on some cats but since their claws retract it makes it easier with 2 people. I am the master cat scruffer. I am also the only one that will do it because everyone else is afraid it hurts the cats. I feel sometimes its safer for everyone if the animal is scruffed in certain situations. I don't think I've ever scruffed a ferret before. All those nail clippings I did and all the bites I took - wish I knew that then