Decided on a ferret. - Paw Talk - Pet Forums
Ferret Discussion Mischievous antics, missing items, and all else ferret.

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 15 (permalink) Old 10-07-2004, 01:30 PM Thread Starter
Proud New Mommy

Decided on a ferret.

Once we sell our 6 rescued chins to good homes, we decided to get a ferret. I have read a lot about them and was a teeny bit confused on whether or not kitten food is too bad for them to feed them as their main diet. Some sites said it was fine, others said "would probably be best if..." Also, are there any other tips I should know about before getting one that I wouldn't read about on a website?

I won't be getting one for atleast 3 weeks anyways, so I have a lot more time to do some more info-searching.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

"Live your beliefs and you can turn the world around"- Henry David Thoreau
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 15 (permalink) Old 10-07-2004, 02:40 PM
Misses Her Smilie Titles

Congratulations! I'm really jealous! I really want to get a ferret but my parents said no.

I'm really glad that you'll be doing research and I'm sure you'll give it an awesome home! Good luck!
post #3 of 15 (permalink) Old 10-08-2004, 08:39 AM
Obsessed With Turtles

Frist I would suggest reading or looking at food comparisons if you haven't already. The last post in that thread is in my opinion the best comparison chart out there!

Ferrets, while great pets, are a ton of work and need lots of attention. My biggest suggestion for any new ferret owner or potential owner is to start a vet fund immediately. This is something I didn't think about when I got my first ferret and wish I would have. As they get older vet care gets quite costly, especially if adrenal surgury is needed.
With that said... I have lots of suggestions for you to think about and will post that this weekend (I gotta head to work now) so be sure to check back with me

In the mean time... do you have specific questions or concerns you need answered that I can include in that post?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 15 (permalink) Old 10-08-2004, 08:42 AM
Playful Pup

There is a sticky with a link to a very good food chart of all the kitten and ferret food. There are some very good kitten foods that rank higher than most ferret foods. I feed my ferrets a kitten and ferret food mix. I have heard rumors that kitten food may contain dyes or are not exactly as healthy as ferret food but no proof to my knowledge.

I would say your best bet is to buy whatever fits your budget that ranks 9-10. If you search around you will find that the cheaper foods out there also rank very high. I feed my ferrets: 8 in 1 ($17 for 4.4lb bag), Innova ($13 for 6.6lb bag), and FerretStore Superior Natural ($45 for 20lb bag plus free shipping).
post #5 of 15 (permalink) Old 10-08-2004, 04:37 PM Thread Starter
Proud New Mommy

Wow, cowgirl... That's a lot of money for just food! I will definately look around more o nthe whole food subject. That link that Kay posted looks reallu useful.

Kay: What happened with your ferret to where you had to take him to the vet? As for the specific questions, do they Need shots? I read "up to date on all shots" on some animal classifieds webpage. Why would they need shots and chins wouldn't? What kind of 'work' do they intail...? I heard they stink (uh huh... know that's true, my mom had some when I was little) and if you bathe them more than once a month, it will activate their glands and make them stink worse. Possible? How often do they need a bath? Once a month? Is baby shampoo OK, rather than that expensive ferret shampoo? What do you feed your ferrets? How big of cage do they need? I have looked on websites and it all just seems like oppinions... I wanted to get the real deal.

Thanks to everyone for helping!!

post #6 of 15 (permalink) Old 10-08-2004, 05:51 PM Thread Starter
Proud New Mommy

Well.. my nephew's grandfather's brother is giving away his ferret and my nephew's dad is going to drop his dad off and his dad's brother is going to give the ferret to his dad who is going to give it to my nephew's dad who is going to bring it to me, tonight! This happened a lot sooner than I was anticipating... But I'm excited. He has papers and stuff.. I will post what they say tomorrow (he prolly wont be here until about 3am or so... they live a way away.)

YAY!

post #7 of 15 (permalink) Old 10-08-2004, 07:55 PM
Obsessed With Turtles

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rocheal
Kay: What happened with your ferret to where you had to take him to the vet?

Mojo developed a tumor called a Chondroma, to the best of my knowledge it is usually caused as a result of a birth defect of too much spinal mass (I'm sure that isn't the exact right wording) ... to remove it, they had to anesthetize her & remove the tip of the tail containing the tumor & 2 vertebrates above as well. It was then sent in to pathology for a biopsy to make sure it wasn't cancerous, which thankfully it wasn't! After all was said & done the surgery cost me $524.00 which to me is no small change but more than worth it to save her life (my understanding is that is much cheaper than adrenal surgery which is extremely common in older ferrets.) She is doing very well though now & besides a shorter tail, you'd never know anything happened.

Quote:
As for the specific questions, do they Need shots? I read "up to date on all shots" on some animal classifieds webpage. Why would they need shots and chins wouldn't?

Yes. Ferrets need to be vaccinated for both canine distemper and rabies every year. Canine distemper is 100% fatal to ferrets. There is no cure once they catch it, only prevention. It is also extremely contagious. Just because a ferret does not go out of the house does not mean they can't catch it. Young kits and ferrets with unknown vaccination histories need to have at least two shots, possibly three, each shot 2-4 weeks apart. Ferrets can catch rabies, but the chance of them infecting another is slim to none. Regardless, having your ferret vaccinated for rabies is a good idea to protect them in the case that they ever bite a stranger. If they have been vaccinated, they will probably simply be quarantined. If they have not been vaccinated, there is always a chance they will be killed for testing. source

Keep in mind a ferret & a chinchilla a two totally different animals! They are even different species if I'm not mistaken. Honestly I don't know really anything about chinchillas (which is why I don't own one as cute as they are) so I can't give any factual information on them, but I can say that ferrets & chins should absolutely be kept apart from one another as a chin may be considered prey to a ferret & the presence of a ferret may stress a chin to an unhealthy stage.

Quote:
What kinds of ‘work’ do they entail...?

I'll get back to you on that one as it will likely be a longer post

Quote:
I heard they stink (uh huh... know that's true, my mom had some when I was little)

I guess this is one of those "opinion" answers... to be completely honest; it depends on who you are asking.

To me as long as their cage (litter & bedding) is kept clean, I don't smell them, as where other people that are not around them as much do. Ferrets do naturally have a musky smell, yes. Some people claim that if you have them de-scented they won't smell as where others are absolutely against de-scenting & feel it doesn't make a difference. I do know though that males do have a stronger musky scent than females. This however is only when it is breeding season or if he is in "protection" mode from a predator.

Litter also takes a role in how much you smell them though... after all if the cat litter box goes over due for cleaning, I'm sure you would smell that too

Here is some info to back up my thoughts on this:

Ferrets have a natural "musky" scent that is not unpleasant. Ferrets are scented for two reasons, 1) for attracting the opposite sex during mating; and 2) it is used for defense. Ferrets are neutered before you buy them from a pet shop or from a breeder. This is to promote responsible ownership and protect the ferret.

Much of the offensive odor associated with ferrets, come through their sebaceous or oil glands in the skin. If a ferret eats food, which contains a great deal of fish, fishmeal or cod, they will generally have a strong body odor. Feeding Totally Ferret® will eliminate most of their body and stool odor because the main protein source is chicken, egg and liver.

The next major source of odor in ferrets comes from the heavy wax build up in their ears. Since they evolved from ground dwelling ancestors, they naturally produce earwax as a way of preventing dirt from getting in their ears. Cleaning the ears once or twice a week is necessary to keep this wax from causing a problem with both smell and ear mites. Caution must be taken not to jab a swab deep into the ear canal. We recommend getting guidance from your veterinarian, shelter or rescue personnel for the proper technique of cleaning a ferret’s ears. source

*I must say that this info came from the website for totally ferret food, I am not encouraging nor discouraging this use of their food, I only used this as an example to show factual information*

Quote:
if you bathe them more than once a month, it will activate their glands and make them stink worse. Possible? How often do they need a bath? Once a month? Is baby shampoo OK, rather than that expensive ferret shampoo?

First off I must say that generally no you do NOT want to bathe your ferrets too often. Some people say 2 times a year & others say 1, it really depends on your climate where you live though. Ferrets naturally have dry skin & over bathing can cause the skin to dry out even more. If you over bathe it isn't so much the scent glands that are activated as it is the oil glands & like even a human to much oil on the skin can cause an odor. Therefore I would strongly advice you NOT to bathe once a month. You can let them play in water all they want yes... but NO shampoo or soap of any kind unless absolutely needed. Baby shampoo is ok but I would strongly advice the use of the ferret shampoo only because it has extra moisturizers in it that are made for a ferret’s dry skin. Let me see if I can find something to back this up...

Bathing too frequently can not only make your ferret’s skin and coat dry, but also can make him have a stronger odor. When a ferret is bathed too often, his glands work even harder to produce and replace the natural oils in his skin and coat. Those oils carry with them the characteristic ferret aroma. When we used to go to ferret and pet shows nearly every weekend, we bathed our ferrets every week or two (getting handled by the curious public left them smelling weird and feeling sticky). Now we bathe them only every few months. While bathing every two weeks is all right, once a month or less often is better, especially during winter months when your ferret might be more prone to dry skin from dry indoor heat. If you’re having an odor problem, try laundering your ferret’s blankets and hammocks more frequently (and keep the litter boxes clean). source

Quote:
What do you feed your ferrets?

I personally feed a mix of food (which I have found MOST all ferret owners do as well) I am in process of finding the right combinations of food that works for my ferrets. Right now I am feeding 8 in 1 Ultimate Chicken & Rice along with NutroMax Gourmet Cat food. I can't honestly say yet how the NutroMax Gourmet is cause they just started eating this. As for the 8 in 1... I will ALWAYS feed them this in their mix as I personally feel it is the best ferret food out there at this point in time. Seriously study the different food comparison charts in that thread (it is a sticky in the top of the ferret section so it's easier to come back to later), if you have to, print them out & look at them all side by side... watch the ingredients very closely as well as fat & protein %. At all cost though try to stay away from by-products of any kinds as there is no nutritional value in them. And you want at least the first 3-4 ingredients to be of a protein source. (no yellow corn would be great as well)

Quote:
How big of cage do they need?

My answer to this is going to be the bigger the better. Try to imagine it is you that has to stay in that cage when nobody is home & use that as your judgment Honestly though it depends on how many ferrets you have. I strongly suggest at least having them in pairs so they don't get bored as ferrets are VERY social & active creatures. Of course this is ONLY if it is within your budget, not just the initial purchase but the life long ongoing care of the ferrets as well. My initial cage (for 2 ferrets, but can also hold up to 4) was 4 ft high 3 ft wide x 2 1/2 ft deep. Now I have put an "addition" on their cage & made it a little over double the size.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

I have intentionally used different sources for each response so you could compare what everyone is saying with those sites. There are hundreds of sites out there dedicated to the ferrets and while forums are mostly opinion yes, you'd be amazed at how much is truly factual as well.

I hope this helps & would be more than happy to answer any other questions you may have to the best of my ability!

Good luck in your venture... even if you feel you know it all when it comes to a ferret... trust me they will show you different

I STILL learn more & more every day from my ferrets & have had them for over 4 years now!
post #8 of 15 (permalink) Old 10-09-2004, 09:25 AM Thread Starter
Proud New Mommy

LOL!! They sound like little two year olds running around!!! This will be fun, not being sarcastic. I cannot wait until he gets to come home. I hope he doesn't smell too bad... I will wash his cage 'clothes' and let him play in water (dry him thoughroughly (sp???), right? and clean his litter boxes on a regular basis.

Unfortunately, I don't think we will be able to get two anytime soon, but we will give him the attention he needs. I'm sure he'll like playing with our pug, as well.

I will take time to respond to this later... The kids are over here and one just fell!

post #9 of 15 (permalink) Old 10-09-2004, 09:41 AM Thread Starter
Proud New Mommy

ok two just left and their Papa took the other three out to jump on the trampoline.

Thank you so much for all this information!! It will surely help out a lot. I don't think our ferrets were too healthy because we just fed them regular ferret food from a pet store and they didn't really have a lot of toys. Just a huge cage. And I only sprayed out the cage, I never put the 'cage clothes' in the washer or anything.

Definately can learn from that and all the stuff you're telling me.

So ferrets like playing in water, I gather? Can they swim? drown? They sure do have little legs...

I want to let him have free run as much as possible. Will he chew on the cords in our room? What if we sprayed them with bitter apple. Don't they have bunny-cord-protector things? Would that help? He will try to hide ANYWHERE,right? I guess I should go and block off from going underneath the bed.
How long should I leave him alone before I take him out? He's been on a three hour car ride... and I believe his last owner was his only owner besides where he was bred. They said his mom and dad are albinos and he has papers and is a really rare ferret. True? Is there not many "true" albinos out there? I'm sorry if I'm asking dumb questions, there's just so many different oppinions on a lot of the webpages.

I think that's all for now. I'm sure I will have more once you type back about the ferret chores!

post #10 of 15 (permalink) Old 10-09-2004, 10:50 AM
Obsessed With Turtles

Rocheal, No question is a dumb question! You are only trying to learn which I think is great!

Not all ferrets like water, but yea most of them do. I have never put my ferrets in the tub nor a pool, but my understanding is you only want the water to be a few inches deep. My ferrets like when I spray them with a spray bottle with a fine mist. As for drying them, what I do (depending on the temperature) is either let them air dry or slightly dry them with a towel then put the towel on the floor & they rub on it to dry themselves (which mind you is hysterical to watch).

What I would do it read the thread at the top of the section on ferret proofing... Get on your knees & find any & EVERY hole there is that could be a danger for your ferret & find a way to block it off. The rule of thumb is if they can squeeze their head through the hole, their body WILL fit as well! I would if at all possible keep EVERYTHING up off the flooor especially anything that is rubber or plastic. For some unknown reason ferrets are especially attracted to rubber which opposes an extreme threat to their digestive tract & can cause a blockage. Make sure the keep ferretlax or vasoline on hand at all times. I prefer the ferretlax cause it is flavored & they tend to take it more willingly. What this does is lubricates the digestive tract to keep it free from blockages & hariballs. (Yes ferrets CAN & DO get hairballs like cats). I give all 4 of my ferts about a 1" ribbon of ferretlax once a week for preventative measures.

I would leave him alone for at least a couple days before handling him too much, but yet keep an eye on him. They tend to get depressed easily. Let him adjust to the sights & sounds of the new surrounding BEFORE you introduce him to your dog. I wouldn't introduce those two for probably a couple weeks even. And when you do, watch them very closely... my mother-in-law has a pug & they tend to get rowdy sometimes cause they are so full of energy (at lease PJ did, her pug).

Albino ferrets are by no means rare. A sable is most common, and DEW's (dark eyed whites) are more common than albinos, but they are not at all rare. Do you know how old he is?

I have a few things to do today, but will try to get together a daily care type sheet for you. The websites I used to back up my information in the above post all have a TON of information in them though so in the meantime, I would encourage you to read through some of that info also as it will explain A LOT of answers.
post #11 of 15 (permalink) Old 10-09-2004, 12:32 PM Thread Starter
Proud New Mommy

You're amazing! Thank you so much for all this information. We will go get seom ferretlax today. We were going to let him go with us.. Now I know that's far from a good idea. I will wait a week before I let Mugzlee get near him at all. I believe he is just about 2 or so. When I get him, I will review everything in his papers, and post whatever I don't understand or whatever you're wanting to know. He has pink eyes, from my understanding. I really hope he likes water. That's really bad about the rubber thing. I will go in the room and work on it right now. Kevin is actually in there picking it up! (can you believe it?!??!) haha. Well, I really thank you for pulling all of this stuff together for me in such a short amount of time. I know the basics so don't overdo yourself trying to get it for me. You've already taught me enough to keep him alive for a while .

post #12 of 15 (permalink) Old 10-09-2004, 01:23 PM
Paw-Talk Therapist

Good luck with your ferret. Congrats.

Rats have rights...& mice too!
post #13 of 15 (permalink) Old 10-09-2004, 01:48 PM
Obsessed With Turtles

Rocheal, I am more than happy to help! afterall ferrets are what I know best (well besides my children lol) If there is ever a time I am not able to give you the answer I will do my best to find it for you
post #14 of 15 (permalink) Old 10-09-2004, 05:21 PM Thread Starter
Proud New Mommy

Thanks again... And yepp, your food suggestions helped as well.

He's HERE!!!!!!!! I'm sooo happy! AND HE'S NEUTERED!!!! That means we can eventually ( lol.. I know I wasn't planning, but I'm hooked!) get another one... Not worrying about the sex!

Here is the list of stuff he came with:
-Cage (though we moved some chins around and put him in our biggest cage)
-2 bowls
-8 in 1 Super Premium Ferret Blend. Vitamin and Mineral enriched. (will add ingredients later)
-Lambert Kay's Ear wash with aloe
-Marshall's ferret flavor vite
-Tomlyn's Tearless ferret shampoo
-Marshall's Ferret Off
-A CUTE shirt!!
-And a pooper scooper.

No papers. I didn't even ask about them because I was so excited!! I will figure that out later.

The ingredients for the food: Ok! I can't find them online... It's called Wild Harvest Super Premium Ferret Blend. It's from 8 in 1. Their website is www.eightinonepet.com...

I took some pictures but I have to find the CD to my camera before I load them!!

Well, I'm off to Stone Mountain to watch the lazer show... Will get on when we get back!!

post #15 of 15 (permalink) Old 10-09-2004, 09:06 PM Thread Starter
Proud New Mommy

Back online, as promised but too tired to post!!! I took him outside today because he was clawing and biting at the cage door. He was litterally JUMPING around in the bushes. He had a complete blast!!

Tags
breeding season, cat food, ear mites, ferret food, kitten food, litter box, litter boxes, pet shop, pet store, vet care