Descenting? - Paw Talk - Pet Forums
Ferret Discussion Mischievous antics, missing items, and all else ferret.

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 6 (permalink) Old 04-05-2003, 07:44 PM
Kritter_Keeper

Question Descenting?

I have a question.... If you breed ferrets, do you have to get the babies descented? What is this for?

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 6 (permalink) Old 04-05-2003, 08:12 PM
Erin

I'd imagine it would be something that buyers would want done, and it would probably be best done when the ferret is younger. I've got no idea, but I know descented ferrets have a distinct scent to them, I couldn't imagine how over powering they would be pre-descenting!

I'm sure fstybrat can help you out more!

post #3 of 6 (permalink) Old 04-05-2003, 08:34 PM
Obsessed With Turtles

De-scenting... can I be blunt?? Absolutely possitively get them de-scented!! Erin is right ferrets have a natural musky order. Many people in fact really think they stink... maybe I am just used to it because I don't really smell them (unless I neglect their cage )
The reason for getting a ferret de-scented is to reduce the odor for one and both male & female (but especially males) have scent glands in their rear and they tend to spray like a skunk when they feel threatened or are marking territory. Being descented is removing those scent glands so they can no longer spray.

I have never come across anyone not wanting to have a ferret de-scented... also as for the breeding part goes:

Females MUST be spayed before they reach their first heat (usually around 6 months) or it could actually be a hazard to their health. I will find a site for you with info on this.

I know here in MN it is illegal for most pet stores to sell ferrets that are not already de-scented & spayed/neutered.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 6 (permalink) Old 04-05-2003, 08:41 PM
Paw-Talk Therapist

I agree with Fsty, however the shelter we got meesha and mackey from don't do it, they spay/neuter but refuse to descent, something to do with the scent decreasing upon neutering/spaying I really don't know, all I know is the scent is basically like a cat or dogs "anal glands. However the 2 we got were brought there by a couple who had them as babies, so I am still under the impression theg are descented, I know Mookie is, and I can't tell a real difference between them, but they do have a natural "musky" smell to them however with proper bathing and cage cleaning (hubby forgets that part sometimes) their "musky" scent is almost zip to none

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

MCBA Member

Submit your info today

I Sell Chinchilla Supplies!
post #5 of 6 (permalink) Old 04-05-2003, 09:49 PM
Obsessed With Turtles

I have never heard of the scent decreasing by spay/neutering?? That is what the scent glands are all about (de-scenting).

Do either of your fuzz butts have tatoos (usually just a dot) in or on the back of either ear? I know Marshall Farms does this to indicate that they have been descented & fixed. so if both have been done (by Marshall's) there would be 2 dots. That is of course providing they are from there.

Sometimes you can tell there was scaring done but most of the time once the fur grows back you can't.

I wold almost bet any amount of money that both have been done. Trust me you would notice a difference!
post #6 of 6 (permalink) Old 04-05-2003, 10:49 PM
Paw-Talk Therapist

Fsty, that is what I thought was weird when the shelter was trying to tell us that...... Yeah I know Marshall Ferrets have the 2 dots, because Mookie is one, but neither meesha nor mackey have them

MCBA Member

Submit your info today

I Sell Chinchilla Supplies!

Tags
cage cleaning, pet store, pet stores