Digging!!! - Paw Talk - Pet Forums
Ferret Discussion Mischievous antics, missing items, and all else ferret.

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 3 (permalink) Old 05-06-2004, 06:42 PM Thread Starter

Unhappy Digging!!!

My little ferts just got carpet in their cage (dont worry, they were only on the wire floor for a week) But I am going crazy to try and stop them from digging. They have virtually destroyed the carpet flooring, I cant take it out b/c the wire will hurt their footsies. I dont know what to do. I tried to tie rags in the corners where they dug but they just started digging elsewhere. Discipline does not work at all. (scruffing and dragging them lightly on the floor) I dont want to hurt the fuzzies, is there any other way to discipline them? I am also having tremendous trouble potty training. No matter what I do they pick the opposite corner from the litter pan. This is making the cage SMELL!!! No matter how much I clean it. Also I read that someone else used a diluted bleach to clean the cage. I was worried about such a strong chemical coming into such close contact with the ferts, is a diluted bleach ok, or what is good for cleaning, b/c water just wont get rid of the smell!! Wow, I have gotten off topic. One more thing, I am trying to post a pic of my babies, but I cant figure it out. Can someone direct me to the instructions, or just tell me. Thanks =)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 3 (permalink) Old 05-06-2004, 09:07 PM
Obsessed With Turtles

Quote:
Originally Posted by Soccer_37
My little ferts just got carpet in their cage (dont worry, they were only on the wire floor for a week) But I am going crazy to try and stop them from digging. They have virtually destroyed the carpet flooring, I cant take it out b/c the wire will hurt their footsies. I dont know what to do. I tried to tie rags in the corners where they dug but they just started digging elsewhere. Discipline does not work at all. (scruffing and dragging them lightly on the floor) I dont want to hurt the fuzzies, is there any other way to discipline them?
What kind of cage do you have? Is it taller than wide or wider than tall? one thing you could try doing is get ahold of some coroplast (corrugated plastic used for making signs) it is relatively cheap when purchased in large sheets. just cut the plastic down to the size of the shelf and purchase some zip ties (also called cable ties) punch small holes in the corners & use the zip tie to secure it from underneath. Ferrets are natural diggers, I honestly don't think there is a way to make them stop. All my ferrets dig in their cage constantly. I have plastic shelving that snaps into place and I tied blankies to the corners of each shelf to prevent them from going potty on the shelf. I don't really think they should be disciplinede because in all honesty they probably don't understand what they are doing bothers you since to them it is normal.

Quote:
I am also having tremendous trouble potty training. No matter what I do they pick the opposite corner from the litter pan. This is making the cage SMELL!!! No matter how much I clean it.
On this one I had the same problem... my ferrets absolutely HATE litter boxes. I would have to suggest 1 of 2 things on this one... if feasable, put a litter pan on BOTH corners, OR depending on the layout of your cage convert the whole bottom of your cage into their litter box. (this is what I had to do). I use corncob bedding for litter as I personaly have found that it absorbs the liquid & odor the best, I know others disagree so it is really what works best for you. My cage is a taller cage, about 4 feet or so I think. The very bottom is their litter box, then they have various shelves, hammocks & tunnels at various heights going up the cage. Granted sometimes they do prefer to sleep in the bottom of the cage but usually on the opposite side of where they go potty. Honestly I don't smell my ferrets cage unless the cage is over due for cleaning. I actually smell the ferrets themselves when holding them more than I do the cage.

Quote:
Also I read that someone else used a diluted bleach to clean the cage. I was worried about such a strong chemical coming into such close contact with the ferts, is a diluted bleach ok, or what is good for cleaning, b/c water just wont get rid of the smell!!
I personally use full strength white vinegar followed by extremely hot water followed by a rinse of cold water. It works This is what I have found works best as I too am affraid to use bleach sense ferrets are soo sensitive. Besides there is something in the vinegar that kills the bacteria & ammonia which is what causes the smells.

Quote:
Wow, I have gotten off topic. One more thing, I am trying to post a pic of my babies, but I cant figure it out. Can someone direct me to the instructions, or just tell me. Thanks =)
not to worry about going OT... things always pop into your mind when you least expect it, it happens to the best of us!!

posting pictures...
when creating your post, at the bottom of the screen is a button that says "manage attachments". Click on that which will take you to another screen giving you the ability to browse for a picture on your computer & upload it to PT. You can do this with up to 5 pictures per post. ~OR~ PT has an awsome (and inexspensive) image hosting ability you can sign up for as well... this gives much more flexibility to posting images as well!! Me personally... I prefer to "link" to my images as not only can you post a larger picture rather than a thumbnail in the thread, but you are not limited to 5 pictures AND it saves on bandwidth (memory) for PT which in turns makes the pages of the site load faster!!

If that wasn't clear enough for the picture thing please let me know... I said that sorta fast (per say) and would love to help you out!!

Now let me see those babies of yours!!!
post #3 of 3 (permalink) Old 05-11-2004, 01:25 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Soccer_37
My little ferts just got carpet in their cage (dont worry, they were only on the wire floor for a week) But I am going crazy to try and stop them from digging. They have virtually destroyed the carpet flooring, I cant take it out b/c the wire will hurt their footsies. I dont know what to do. I tried to tie rags in the corners where they dug but they just started digging elsewhere. Discipline does not work at all. (scruffing and dragging them lightly on the floor) I dont want to hurt the fuzzies, is there any other way to discipline them? I am also having tremendous trouble potty training. No matter what I do they pick the opposite corner from the litter pan. This is making the cage SMELL!!! No matter how much I clean it. Also I read that someone else used a diluted bleach to clean the cage. I was worried about such a strong chemical coming into such close contact with the ferts, is a diluted bleach ok, or what is good for cleaning, b/c water just wont get rid of the smell!! Wow, I have gotten off topic. One more thing, I am trying to post a pic of my babies, but I cant figure it out. Can someone direct me to the instructions, or just tell me. Thanks =)

like said they are natural diggers & its hard to stop them, although mine did at first they are much better now that they arent kits any more.to help prevent them from doing this, you could get plexiglass & put that down instead of the carpet. (they will dig at carpet all they want..) when out of the cage they should be disciplined though.. they should be allowed to dig in their cage though. you could also try a rice box, take a small, big enough box for them to play in, & fill it with LONG GRAIN rice. this will be something safe for them to dig in & not make a mess. make the entrance hole at the top of the box though.. or you could use shredded paper. i have the rice box in the cage, & the shredded paper box under the couch. (they love to hide toys in there.) just be creative with them. anything will work, just make sure they cant eat it or get stuck, ect ect ect in it. give them a lot to do when they arent out of the cage & or you arent around. a bored ferret is a distructive ferret.
when yelling at them pick & word & stay with it, pick them put by the back of the neck & look into their eyes by saying NO or whatever loud. keep a firm stare!then distract them with something else in the cage. you have to keep at it or they will not know what you mean. if you let them do it one day & the next yell at them, they dont get why its right one time & not another. (& since they are diggers, its hard for them to get it to begin with..)
as for potty training, that all takes time. reward them with a treat when you see them use it.. squeek a toy.. that gets their attention. try using a square one too.(not a triangle, that kind will confuse them.) also you will have to place the old poo in the litter box, when they poo elsewhere. i know it sounds gross to just relocate the poo in the cage but you have to get them to see thats where it belongs.. let it pile up for a while when they do start, & also leave a bit in there til they get the swing of things.. a good squeeky toy & a treat will normally have you training in no time!
i personally dont think bleach would be bad, if it diluted, & you rinse the cage very well... you could also try dish soap... that is safe.. nontoxic.. & im sure there are a lot of other things you can use. pet stores here sell special soap to clean them, but i dont think regulare old dawn is a bad thing. (i dont think really many things would be bad as long as they are rised well!)
anywho, good luck & keep us posted! =]

Tags
litter box, litter boxes, litter pan, pet store, pet stores, potty train, potty training