Everything - Paw Talk - Pet Forums
Ferret Discussion Mischievous antics, missing items, and all else ferret.

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 18 (permalink) Old 07-09-2007, 09:24 PM Thread Starter
RAT ADDICT

Everything

Okay...after alot of thinking and whatnot and after meeting another ferret today,I decided I think I may look into them.I know people who had them before and they were awesome little guys.I've always liked them.

I am moving this month and since I do not have a dog or cat,I decided I want a ferret.I probably won't get one for awhile,however I wanna start my research now.

A good fact tho,all ferrets are spayed/neutered and descented before coming into the province.They are not allowed here unless they get fixed and everything.So I wouldn't have to worry about getting it fixed.

So...please give me any and all GOOD links you have on ferrets and their care.

* Lisa *

* To the world you are ONE person,but to a rat you are the world *

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

* It's a rat thing...you wouldn't understand! *
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 18 (permalink) Old 07-09-2007, 10:38 PM
私は靖巣あなたを愛してI ♥ Yasuki

Really, all of them have to be spayed or neutered before coming in? I fell in love with them when I seen the one I chased with my hand on Buckmaster's circle and he would flip over nip my and hop away, then come back for MORE. I would love to have one but have enough. Maybe if I get a job!

// k a t ((d)) 猫ちゃん ☆~(ゝ。∂)
私は武井靖巣あなたをして

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #3 of 18 (permalink) Old 07-10-2007, 12:44 AM Thread Starter
RAT ADDICT

Yep! I just found that out.They come in the province already spayed/neutered and descented.So we would not have to worry about that.I met another one today,a little albino guy and well I have always loved ferrets (remember Kjaerstin's?)...so now I am going to look into them.Also since I am moving,it would be awesome.

So I am waiting for people to get back to me here.I don't know where to find any good ferret info.

* Lisa *

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 18 (permalink) Old 07-16-2007, 08:32 AM
Paw-Talk Golden Member

the females are spayed for health reasons

turkeyman should give you some really good links

i will hold you forever
i will stand beside you forever
keep fighting
keep breathing
hold onto me and dont let go
NEVER let go
you are my world
make it through
i pray for you

VIXEY- March 25, 1994- October 11, 2006 at 10pm
SKRAT- October 21, 2005- January 15, 2007 at 5am
BAXTER- January 30, 2007
I will love you forever, always

Next time we meet again, it will be FOREVER

post #5 of 18 (permalink) Old 07-16-2007, 08:33 AM Thread Starter
RAT ADDICT

Yep.I am waiting for him or someone to point me in the right direction.I mean,I want to find GOOD links and I don't know where to start.

* Lisa *

post #6 of 18 (permalink) Old 07-16-2007, 09:28 AM
Paw-Talk Golden Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skratikans View Post
turkeyman should give you some really good links
Has anyone heard from him lately? I don't think he's been posting too much recently.

Where are you, Turkeyman? I won't eat you or your people! Come back!

Maureen

Six new rats
post #7 of 18 (permalink) Old 07-16-2007, 12:22 PM
Paw-Talk Golden Member

except maybe thanksgiving...lol

i will hold you forever
i will stand beside you forever
keep fighting
keep breathing
hold onto me and dont let go
NEVER let go
you are my world
make it through
i pray for you

VIXEY- March 25, 1994- October 11, 2006 at 10pm
SKRAT- October 21, 2005- January 15, 2007 at 5am
BAXTER- January 30, 2007
I will love you forever, always

Next time we meet again, it will be FOREVER

post #8 of 18 (permalink) Old 07-16-2007, 12:54 PM
Will It Ever Change?

Ottawa Ferret Association

and they give more links as well

"If you can't change your fate, change your attitude." - Amy Tan
post #9 of 18 (permalink) Old 07-16-2007, 06:20 PM

This is a trap isn't it? I'm gonna be eaten j/k

I don't really have any good links since I do most of my research as I need it...and a lot of my fundamental information came from a single book which I'd recommend to everyone considering getting a ferret. From there, I just talked with people and read articles as I needed them. So yeah, instead of a site, this book is awesome(you can even preview the table of contents and such on amazon):

Amazon.com: Ferrets for Dummies: Books: Kim Schilling

It's priced very reasonably, so if you have the time to read it -- I'd give it a go.

Here's some other books recommended by the AFA:
American Ferret Association: Read & Learn: Recommended Ferret Books

Besides that, I can try to answer any of your questions in this thread or refer you to links as you ask your questions
post #10 of 18 (permalink) Old 07-16-2007, 11:30 PM Thread Starter
RAT ADDICT

Thanks.
Books,websites...anything! I wanna do as much research as I possibly can.I do really want one,but am not going out and getting one for some time.

I do have a couple of questions right now.

What is their lifespan? I read it could be between 5-8 yrs,but someone told me they could live 15 yrs.

Also what are some diseases/illnesses that they are prone to? (If any).

* Lisa *

post #11 of 18 (permalink) Old 07-16-2007, 11:34 PM Thread Starter
RAT ADDICT

I thought of a few more questions.

What are some high quality foods they can eat? What are a list of good and bad foods or treats???

And Marshels (I spelled that wrong I think) is a farm,am I correct? I have heard good and bad things about them.What are your opinions? Because apparently the majority of ferrets here are from there.

Thanks for all the help!

* Lisa *

post #12 of 18 (permalink) Old 07-17-2007, 12:55 AM

invader here
glad to see you talking turkey
i was scared you may never speak to us again
I still like you even if someone else thinks your a t**ll
post #13 of 18 (permalink) Old 07-17-2007, 08:24 AM Thread Starter
RAT ADDICT

I like him too.I don't think he is a troll.

* Lisa *

post #14 of 18 (permalink) Old 07-17-2007, 11:42 AM

Thanks . I like it over here in the ferret forum, but it's normally pretty inactive. So, your questions:

The realistic lifespan of a ferret is anywhere from about 4-8 years. It's longer when you buy from a good breeder. I've heard of a 10 year old, but a 15 year old is next to impossible -- though there may have been an incredibly lucky fuzzbutt.

For ferret diseases -- they all seem fated to get something rather troublesome/costly to maintain later on in life. The most common and/or feared diseases of ferrets are lymphoma, adrenal disease, and aleutian's disease. They can also have many digestive problems since their digestive system is so small and has a horrible time digesting anythng fibrous. There are many more, but these are the basics you'll want to read up on(google them).

For food info, refer to these threads, they cover quite a bit:
http://www.paw-talk.net/forums/f20/w...2309.html(read Carissa's posts -- lots of info)

http://www.paw-talk.net/forums/f20/cat-food-42696.html (read my posts near the end -- guidelines on how to pick a food if you're just not sure)

Marshalls -- this is a huge topic...but I'll do my best. Marshall's is a ferret mill that produces ferrets both for in-home pets and to sell to research laboratories as guinea pigs of science. They mass produce ferrets, but in a way they also contribute to a ton of medical and veterinary research by doing what they do. Of course, I wish it weren't the ferrets they had to sacrifice. A lot of their practices are arguably unethical. That is, selling both for research and pets -- also not ensuring that Petco(their main seller) keeps ferrets in the correct condition after being sent off. They have shown time and time again that they really just want the money. The majority of ferrets in the US come from Marshall's ferret farm/ferret mill -- and a lot of people say that the overpopulation of ferret shelters is due to Marshall's and other large ferret mills(Path Valley Ferrets is another one).

The ferrets are always descented and desexed. Some say it's bad to desex and descent so early on in life. They ship ferrets out at the age of 6-8 weeks...sometimes you can still find them in the pet stores with shaved bellies from their surgeries. And, some also believe that descenting altogether is an unnecessary and cruel procedure.

Anyways, my overall opinion about them is that they definitely don't have the wellbeing of ferrets in mind. It's weird, however, because I don't really approve of private breeders either. My future ferrets will be adoptees. I understand that animals from private breeders tend to live long, healthy lives -- but I just really love ferrets. I'd like to adopt one since it was probably abandoned, even if it ended up having numerous health problems. I'd take care to the best of my ability till the day it died. No matter what. Btw, I'm not saying that someone who chooses to buy a Marshall's ferret or ferrets from a private breeder doesn't love ferrets. Sometimes it's the only choice, and of course, everyone has different ideas of love for animals.

My three ferrets are from Petco...aka Marshall's ferrets. They're all about a year old, and I haven't had any real health problems just yet(thankfully). Others have had Marshall's fuzzies that died within 2 years of age or even less. The people who I've heard that from blame Marshall's for the death of the ferret. I'm really not so sure...but it's definitely possible.
post #15 of 18 (permalink) Old 07-17-2007, 01:12 PM Thread Starter
RAT ADDICT

Thanks.I will definatly check out those threads and some more here in the ferret part of the forum.I haven't been reading alot on them yet,just because I am also trying to move right now and so I have not been online for long and when I am online I am just in here mainly.

The book "Ferrets For Dummies" I seen in a store here,so I am going to pick it up.Those books are really knowlagable in my opinion.I have the greyhound one.

We don't have Petco here,but apparently all the other pet stores here get them from Marshall's.There are no breeders or rescues here that I know of.So when the time comes I will have to either find one that is no longer wanted or go to a pet store.

Do you find they do better in pairs or alone? I mean rats have to be together,are ferrets like that??? Do they have to be with another ferret or can they live alone?

* Lisa *

Tags
adrenal disease, guinea pig, pet store, pet stores