Ferret cages? - Paw Talk - Pet Forums
Ferret Discussion Mischievous antics, missing items, and all else ferret.

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 20 (permalink) Old 03-23-2003, 07:35 AM Thread Starter
Adolescent Pup

Ferret cages?

When I owned a ferret before I had the four level big superpet cage. I remember I hated cleaning that thing and when I would scrub it out the levels would pinch my fingers every time lol. What cages do you guys use? Right now I have him in a small super pet cage but he is so small its like a mansion. He will need a new big cage in about two weeks so if you could give me ideas of other cages it would be greatly appreciated.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 20 (permalink) Old 03-23-2003, 09:40 AM
Obsessed With Turtles

My cage is one of thos tall ones, and I agree those shelves can be a pain!

Actually I am thinking about building one from scratch like I did for my guinea pigs using square metal grids

I have to see if there are grids with smaller squares though first. I have a few other ideas to build a cage too but not as sure about those.
post #3 of 20 (permalink) Old 03-23-2003, 11:35 AM
Playful Pup

I always suggest Martin's Cages. Heh...I'm also a little biased. Out of four large cages...three are Martin's. Two ferret cages (a customized version of The Ferret Condo - F-475 - and the Two-Story Barn) and a customized cage for our rabbit. Unfortunately, I don't think they're doing customized cages anymore, but their cages are still amazing. They're very sturdy. You can get both galvanized and pvc-coated (the black plastic coating) wire. Drop in or slide-out pans. I don't know about the drop in pans (not sure if they're the same material) but the slide out pans are -very- easy to clean. They're thick, durable plastic and my ferrets have yet to pull the pan out on their own when they're running around in the room. That's a big plus because my guys like to pull out the pan on another cage and go swimming in whatever's fallen underneath... If you have any ferret shows near you, you ought to see if Martin's is going to be there. Skip Martin goes to -a lot- of the shows (he's up here in Maryland almost every fall and spring). If he's there, you can either go look at the cages he's brought with him and pick one out, or if you wanted to buy one before hand through the website, I've heard he'll bring it with him to the show so you don't have to pay for shipping.
I personally don't really recommend most of the cages that you can find in petstores. Our first seemed like a good cage, but then suddenly Ezra grew and it was way too small and very badly designed. And a lot of the Super Pets cages seem really neat and fun, but they're a pain to clean out. We have one that came with a rescued ferret we picked up at Petco after it had been abandoned there (cage, malnourished ferret, water...no food or litter box ) All of the half-levels have this little groove around the outside which traps any water dripping from Bucky's bottle and mixes it with whatever other bits of food or litter she takes up there and turns it all into a nasty mush. And it's nearly impossible to clean that groove out due to its shape and the fact that the levels are hard to reach through the various doors.
That's 'bout all I know about cages from my experience. There are a lot of neat cage-making companies on the web that I've seen, and they make some very nice and neat looking cages. I'd suggest checking them out before getting one at a petstore. Whichever you pick, make sure to take into account various things like where is the litter box going to go? Can you fit a litter box through the door (a -big- issue...lots of cages don't have doors big enough for the bigger litter boxes or the taller, ferret-specific ones). Is it easy to clean? Is there a good place to put a hammock? Etc. etc. If you can't tell, I spent a lot of time going through cages, and I -still- wish I'd changed a few things.

:blob8:
Courtney - Animal Tamer of "The Wild Kingdom": 7 ferrets (Ezra, Vin, Starkes, Pacce, Bucky, Spin, and Marty), 3 Puppies (Reece, Pith, and Parker), 3 Kittens (Loki, Dante, and Elly), 1 Rabbit (Benny), 7 Gerbils (Nathan=Mom, Josiah=Dad, Lightning, Thunder, Hail, Rain, & Sleet), and 1 Hedgehog (Goo)

Last edited by CMorrow; 03-23-2003 at 11:45 AM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 20 (permalink) Old 03-23-2003, 11:44 AM
Paw-Talk Therapist

We also have a very tall cage, it is like 4ftx2ftx4ft, We have also thought about building a ferret cage out of the grids, we too use those for our piggies, but then thought nope not a good idea, as these little fuzzies can squeeze through just about anything, lol

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

MCBA Member

Submit your info today

I Sell Chinchilla Supplies!
post #5 of 20 (permalink) Old 03-24-2003, 08:26 AM Thread Starter
Adolescent Pup

Ferrets can be on galvinized wire? Would'nt that be hard on the feet? Also where would they hide their food and treats it would all fall down through the wire.
post #6 of 20 (permalink) Old 03-24-2003, 01:22 PM
Obsessed With Turtles

I personally don't like my ferrets walking on wire just because I am affraid of a paw getting caught... just my thought though as I have heard of many people doing it very successfully! Thanks CMorrow for that link... I have heard of them but never seen em... will deffinately check em out!

As for the grids Navywife... I agree with you there, the ones we use for the piggies they would easily fit through... I am on a search to see if they have finer grides like that, you would think they do, just gotta find em!

If I find them I will let you know!
post #7 of 20 (permalink) Old 03-24-2003, 02:06 PM
Paw-Talk Therapist

Fsty, please do let me know if you find any It is amazing what can be made with the storage grids I have also found out that walmart sells the 3 storage box (13 grids?) for like $13.98 but yet they sell the 6 storage box(23 grids?) for $12.98 both made by rubbermaid, so ummm guess which ones we bought for making the piggies cages lol

MCBA Member

Submit your info today

post #8 of 20 (permalink) Old 03-24-2003, 05:54 PM
Obsessed With Turtles

I will tell you if I find anything Kim! and Walmart absolutely makes NO sense LOL. I've seen that with a lot of items!

If you have a "Sam's Club" (wholesale store)near you and have a membership you can get a box of 8 cubes (30 grids?) for 14.00! at least here anyway!
post #9 of 20 (permalink) Old 03-24-2003, 06:07 PM
Paw-Talk Therapist

LIKE DUH!! don't know why I didn't think of Sam's Club, been a member there for years thanks for reminder "as the little light" in my head goes on,

MCBA Member

Submit your info today

post #10 of 20 (permalink) Old 03-24-2003, 06:10 PM
Obsessed With Turtles

*knocking on Kim's forhead* anybody home in there?

Glad I could be of assistance... now you can build a "bigger" piggie cage! LOL
post #11 of 20 (permalink) Old 03-24-2003, 08:13 PM
Paw-Talk Therapist

OUCH!! knock a little lighter, hehehe J/K....

MCBA Member

Submit your info today

post #12 of 20 (permalink) Old 03-24-2003, 08:39 PM
Obsessed With Turtles

post #13 of 20 (permalink) Old 01-13-2004, 10:17 PM
User Is No Longer Welcome

You can make a ferret cage out of those little cube things? How would you make sure it's secure enough? And what would you use for floors???
post #14 of 20 (permalink) Old 01-17-2004, 09:19 PM
User Is No Longer Welcome

Anyone know how to make a cage out of those cube things???
post #15 of 20 (permalink) Old 01-17-2004, 09:40 PM
Obsessed With Turtles

I have not yet done it yet, it is in the plans for this summer though.

The design I did involves the cube grids, choroplast (corrugated plastic) & cable ties (also called zip ties).

Use the zip ties to attach the grids together. as long as they are pulled tight the ferrets doen't usually bother them. The choroplast is used to place on top of the grids that are used for shelves so they have a solid flooring.)

The reason I didn't make mine last summer is because Winnie was still fairly small and could have probably squeezed through the holes. I am still debating with myself as to whether or not they still may be able to and if they can then it would not be a cage I would make. Best thing I can think of oooooooooooois get some grids and make 1 cube. Turn it upside down & put 1 ferret in it at a time & see if they are able to get out without tipping the grid over.

Tags
guinea pig, litter box, litter boxes, litter pan