Ferret Cages & accessories - Paw Talk - Pet Forums
Ferret Discussion Mischievous antics, missing items, and all else ferret.

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 9 (permalink) Old 07-12-2002, 02:54 AM Thread Starter

Smile Ferret Cages & accessories

I'm not getting a ferret for a while yet, but I'm planning on getting ready for him/her soon. What size of a cage is good for a ferret? I have my eye on this really neat one from martin's cages; http://www.martinscages.com/images/l..._englander.jpg It's 30x24x54, and the top can be separated to be a travel cage! I think it's just about the coolest cage I've ever seen, what do you guys think? Also, what kind of stuff goes in a ferret cage? They like hammocks right? What kind of toys do they like? Any other ferret stuff I should look at?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 9 (permalink) Old 07-12-2002, 06:15 AM

Martin's cages are great. That one is a good choice.
post #3 of 9 (permalink) Old 07-12-2002, 09:24 AM
Resident Chatroom Blonde

That is a nice cage.I am sure your new ferret will love it when you get him/her

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 9 (permalink) Old 07-12-2002, 03:12 PM

Very nice cage! You may just have to fill it up with lots of fuzzies. Hammocks are a must. I put a couple old shirts in Stinky's cage for tunneling and sleeping. My girl also has some beanie babies in her cage that she likes to sleep with. A nontip food bowl and a water bottle and of course the litter box. You can also use a water dish under the water bowl if your future ferret likes it better. I would always keep the bottle though so he/she doesn't run out of water. My biggest suggestion to you is to buy "Ferrets for Dummies". It's a great book with lots of info.
post #5 of 9 (permalink) Old 07-13-2002, 01:29 AM Thread Starter

Hmmm, I didn't notice that this one didn't have carpet covered floors...I thought most of thier ferret cages did? Maybe they could customize it for me. What about the ramps, are the ramps ok uncovered? Do ferrets chew like chinchillas do...carpet, walls, cage, anything they can get thier teeth on, lol?
post #6 of 9 (permalink) Old 07-13-2002, 01:43 AM

You can use carpet squares to cover the wire floors or linoleum squares. The carpet squares tend to absorb a lot of odor and will need to be replaced every few months. And it's very difficult to keep clean, especially if your ferret has any "out of the litterbox" accidents. The odor of the accident cannot always be totally gotten rid of, so this may cause the ferret to continually go back to that spot and use it as a bathroom(they'll usually return to an area that smells of where they've gone potty before...even if the odor is very faint). I prefer the linoleum squares. They don't absorb odors and they are easy to clean up after an accident. Plus, the linoleum stays nice and cool which will give the ferret something to lay on during the warmer months to keep cool. I would say cover the ramps too, just to be on the safe side.
No ferrets are not natural chewers like rodents, though some have been known to chew on things like rubber, foam, etc. There are more non-chewing ferrets than chewing ones--yeah, that makes sense lol
If you get one that likes to chew, you can alleviate the problem by offering them products like cheweasels, foamy fries, or kong toys.
post #7 of 9 (permalink) Old 07-13-2002, 01:57 AM Thread Starter

Ok, I hope this doesn't sound too dumb...
1)why is wire mesh bad?
2)what is the point of the slide out litterpans if the floors are covered?
3)If I do cover the floors/ramps, It sound like I should go with linoleum, but wouldn't that be too slippery for the ramps?
post #8 of 9 (permalink) Old 07-13-2002, 02:08 AM

no, I don't consider any question dumb
Yes, the linoleum might be too slippery for the ramps, so you could cover those with material or carpeting.
The slide out pans just catch anything that falls past the wire flooring. Things can sometimes slip through the cracks between the carpet squares/linoleum. And not everyone covers the floors of their cages. I know many people who don't. And since ferrets sometimes like to dig in their litterbox and/or food dish, the pull out tray will keep the mess from getting all over your floor.
Wire mesh can be bad because some ferrets have had their paws slip through and get caught(especially baby ferrets or very small framed ferrets). Some have even lost paws/limbs if they've gotten caught badly enough--or had them amputated later due to the irreversible damage that was done while they were struggling to get free. This seemed to happen more so with much older cages that had larger gaps in the mesh; but I haven't heard of anybody really having any problems with newer cages, especially Martin's. But it's better to be safe than sorry.
post #9 of 9 (permalink) Old 07-13-2002, 02:19 AM Thread Starter

Thanks Nancy! You're absolutely right, better safe than sorry... I just recently learned the hard way that just because you've never had a problem with something doesn't mean it cant happen (poor Nicodemus!).

Tags
food bowl, litter box, water bowl, wire mesh