Ferret Food Comparisons - Page 2 - Paw Talk - Pet Forums
Ferret Discussion Mischievous antics, missing items, and all else ferret.

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #16 of 41 (permalink) Old 10-09-2004, 10:18 AM Thread Starter
Obsessed With Turtles

I think that is a great choice!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #17 of 41 (permalink) Old 11-01-2004, 01:56 PM
Playful Pup

Quote:
Originally Posted by kemasa
The brand I'm using is Innova Adult Cat food - it was also mentioned on theferretstore.com website's list, and it seems to have a pretty good ingredient list. I like it because, although pretty spendy for cat food, its pretty cheap as ferret food. I have 3 ferrets, and a 4 or 5 lb bag goes pretty quickly! I can get a 20 lb bag of Innova for around $30.00... However, I didn't hear anyone else mention that this was a good brand. Does anyone have a particular reason that I maybe shouldn't be feeding this kind to my babies, or a reason why another brand might be better? I always have room for improvement if there's something better out there! I'm still in the process of trying to switch them over from 8 in 1 ultrablend (it's not the best kind of ferret food)
I also used this chart http://www.ohioferret.org/INFO/nutri_prn.asp in order to make my final decisions on what the best ferret food would be. It gives ratings based on 6 factors; the amount of protein, fat and fiber, no corn in 1st three ingredients, no meat by-products, and no fish. (Innova received a 6 out of 6!)
Let me know what you guys think-
I heard that feeding adult cat food is not good for ferrets that if you want to feed cat food, you should stick with kitten cat food, but ferret food is usually better because its gear to them.
post #18 of 41 (permalink) Old 11-01-2004, 02:05 PM
Playful Pup

I also, use Marshall Farms ferret food I have been feeding my ferrets this since we got them. I plan on asking the vet what he recommends, and when I find out, I will let you guys no what he says.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #19 of 41 (permalink) Old 11-01-2004, 06:05 PM
Proud New Mommy

I got him and they were feeding him ferret food but it wasn't even listed on the chart. We found out he was bred by Marshall Farms (yes! the people that make the food) so we are in process of switching him to that.

IMO I think it's the best food out there. Just about everyone recommends that food.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

"Live your beliefs and you can turn the world around"- Henry David Thoreau
post #20 of 41 (permalink) Old 11-18-2004, 06:10 PM
Playful Pup

I also just switched from Marshalls to 8 in 1 Ultimate. The boys LOVE it!!! They go nuts for it I also found that at petco, both Marshalls and 8 in 1 are the same price. Good thing- I finally picked the right brand without a fight. Yey!
post #21 of 41 (permalink) Old 04-15-2005, 03:01 PM
Newborn Pup

I hope I can post this link here - if not just delete it and I'm sorry.

Here is a very comprehensive food comparison chart

http://everythingfert.proboards36.co...num=1109195167
post #22 of 41 (permalink) Old 04-17-2005, 01:42 AM Thread Starter
Obsessed With Turtles

It's awsome! Thanks K10! you are perfectly welcome to post that! )
post #23 of 41 (permalink) Old 06-19-2005, 08:52 PM
Paw-Talk Addict

This post has really helped me. I have quite honestly been STRESSING trying to figure out what food would be best to feed the ferret I'm going to get in a month or so. How much do ferrets eat? Should their entire diet be kibble alone with a few treats? Does the Superior Choice or 8-in-1 make their feces smell worse than the other? My coworkers fed their ferrets I think it was Zupreem and they said it made their poop smell horribly.

Jenny, Zookeeper Extraordinare

Mom to:

Pooters, Gracie, Mr. Muggles McLovin It (all three Chi mixes), Angel (Lab mix), and Nina (Sheltie mix)

: Hollands: Peneloppy, Sunkist, Scooby, Toby, Timothy, and Dante; Jersey Wooly: Dini and Dana; Lionheads: Cricket, Tinsel, Missy, Mrs. Jingles, Winnie; Netherlands: Quasar, Amos, and Shutterbug; Havana mix: Colby; Fuzzy Holland Lop: Henry; Velveteen Lops: Prudence and Jude AKA Tigger

Fernando

Benny

Maverick (Bearded Dragon) and Panda (Leopard Gecko)

Lionel (Ball Python) and Arrow (Cornsnake)

Falcon, Sherbert, Razzle and Pearl (All Bettas)

RIP Arthur
post #24 of 41 (permalink) Old 06-19-2005, 11:16 PM Thread Starter
Obsessed With Turtles

Feeding the 8 in 1 or Superior choice I didn't have any problems... a key thing to watch out for to avoid smelly poop is any food with fish in the ingredients. Fish & ferrets don't seem to get along

All my ferrets eat is kibble. On occassion they get treats & sometimes we will give them a lil extra treat of banana or the like (baby food)- also you want to teach your little guy young to like Duck Soup- it could save his life one day
post #25 of 41 (permalink) Old 06-20-2005, 07:05 AM
Paw-Talk Addict

where do I even get duck soup and why could it save his life?...It's funny, I always say that my pets eat better than I do...

Mom to:

Pooters, Gracie, Mr. Muggles McLovin It (all three Chi mixes), Angel (Lab mix), and Nina (Sheltie mix)

: Hollands: Peneloppy, Sunkist, Scooby, Toby, Timothy, and Dante; Jersey Wooly: Dini and Dana; Lionheads: Cricket, Tinsel, Missy, Mrs. Jingles, Winnie; Netherlands: Quasar, Amos, and Shutterbug; Havana mix: Colby; Fuzzy Holland Lop: Henry; Velveteen Lops: Prudence and Jude AKA Tigger

Fernando

Benny

RIP Arthur
post #26 of 41 (permalink) Old 06-20-2005, 07:57 AM Thread Starter
Obsessed With Turtles

When a ferret gets sick & stops eating duck soupl is highly recommended as it has tons of healthy ingredients for them & often it is the only thing they will eat at the time. There are tons of varieties of duck soup available- most of which are made from a variety of ingredients- this is the one I like though http://www.paw-talk.net/forums/showthread.php?t=25757
post #27 of 41 (permalink) Old 07-05-2005, 03:29 AM
Paw-Talk Addict

Well, I got my ferrets (three to be exact... don't ask what happened to just getting one). I bought the marshall's duk soup and they all love it... I'll give it to them once a month or so, that way they'll keep on liking it. What's wrong with Sheppard & Greene food?.. Why isn't it mentioned on here? Is something wrong with it?

Mom to:

Fernando

Benny

RIP Arthur
post #28 of 41 (permalink) Old 08-15-2005, 03:21 PM
Newborn Pup

lilchris_28 - uncle jim's isn't good on it's own. It's more of an additive type product. Your fuzzy couldn't stay adquately healthy by eating it on it's own.

Here is an article with a recipe that I wrote for my ferret forum.
Why you need duck soup:

When your ferret gets sick, is recovering from surgery, or just plain isn't feeling well your ferret may not want to eat kibble. Hence the need for duck soup! You want to get your ferrets used to duck soup while they are happy and healthy because most ferrets imprint on food at a very young age and will not accept new food sources, especially when they don't feel good.

Duck soup is also a good way to slip in some medications so they will take them more easily than syringe feeding. And since duck soup is so good for them it is the best daily treat you can give to them.

My duck soup recipe:
1 lb. of chicken thighs or leg quarters with skin
1/2 cup main kibble (the less kibble the better)
1 tablespoon ferritone
3 tablespoon Nupro (suppliment for digestion - can be made without it)
http://www.ferretstore.com/nu-100.html
1 tablespoon Uncle Jims Duck Soup Mix (suppliment for digestion - can be made without it)
http://www.ferretstore.com/9ozunjimordu.html

**Note: the most important part of duck soup is the chicken. So even if your recipe is only chicken and kibble it's still great! Mine is just more comprehensive.

Grind up kibble (add Nupro and Uncle Jims) in blender or food processor put in large bowl. Boil the chicken thighs or leg quarters for 20 minutes. Cut the meat and skin off the bone and put the small pieces and put into your blender or food processor in small sections (add about a 1/2 cup to a cup of cool water with each blending). Put all the blendings into a large bowl and stir. Add all other ingredients into the bowl.

Add water for soupy consistancy, so it's not clumpy. And it should have a creamy, smoothe consistancy. Pour into ice cube trays. Repeat until finished. Freeze one day in the ice cube trays and then transfer cubes into a freezer safe bag. Frozen duck soup cubes should be good in freezer up to 3 months.

One defrosted ice cube of soup is the perfect serving for one ferret.

Your ferret may not think you are good cook the first time you offer it to them, as I explained they imprint on food at a young age. If your ferret wont take duck soup directly out of the bowl here a few things you can try.

Try offering some on your finger. A lot of ferrets love to be hand-fed and this might work. If not, scruff your ferret and then dip your finger into the soup and gently rub it on his/her lips. Do this a few times (in one sitting is fine) until they will lick it from your finger willingly. The two main things that you need to remember are: be patient and persistent.

YOU NEED YOUR FERRET TO LIKE DUCK SOUP NO MATTER WHAT!!

This process could take up to 6 months but the importance of duck soup out weighs not giving it to them at all. Just keep on them. It took me 3 months for my picky Meko to take duck soup and lax after I adopted him. But now he goes crazy when I show him his duck soup dish or the tube of lax.

Duck soup is also a good stabilizer for insulinoma. Duck soup contains more proteins and less carbs for less sugar highs and lows. It won't prevent insulinoma but it aid in controling blood glucose fluxes.

If you have questions about duck soup - post them here. My 3 favorite ferrety subjects are duck soup, treats and food.
post #29 of 41 (permalink) Old 08-16-2005, 12:02 PM
Paw-Talk Addict

I will try that....Thanks... I just bought the Uncle Jims b/c I was camping in Florida when I bought my ferrets and I wanted to have something just in case.

Mom to:

Fernando

Benny

RIP Arthur
post #30 of 41 (permalink) Old 08-17-2005, 11:52 AM
Paw-Talk Addict

Okay, more questions... It seems that most rank Superior Choice and 8-in-1 at the top of their lists... How can those be the better ones? At The Ferret Store website, they say in the description that the Superior Choice Natural has fruits and veggies in it. I thought that ferrets can't digest fruits and veggies and that they are unhealthy for them. I don't know if raisin juice and banana puree are considered "fruit" but 8-in-1 has those in it. Just curious?

Mom to:

Fernando

Benny

RIP Arthur

Tags
cat food, corn cob, duck soup, ferret food, food bowl, kitten food