Ferret Food Comparisons - Page 3 - Paw Talk - Pet Forums
Ferret Discussion Mischievous antics, missing items, and all else ferret.

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #31 of 41 (permalink) Old 11-26-2005, 10:44 PM

I've also heard that fruits and veggies don't agree with ferrets, but I give my ferret Premium 8-in-1 Fruit & Veggie Crunch as a snack, and she goes totally nuts for it. She seems to digest it rather well, so I'm supposing that when people say that ferrets can't digest fruits and veggies, I'm assuming that they're referring to the raw stuff? Also, I've heard that you can give ferrets a drop of yogurt as a treat in moderation (but my ferret snubs her nose at it).

Also, why don't ferrets like pellets? They seem to prefer shapes. When I first brought home my ferret, she wouldn't eat her food for a few days. (I've heard that they eventually will eat it if it's the only thing offered), but after a while I switched to Premium 8-in-1 & she loves it. Are they picky eaters or what?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #32 of 41 (permalink) Old 11-27-2005, 10:19 AM
Paw-Talk Addict

Yeah, they can be finicky eaters. The 8-in-1 treats are really bad for ferrets. I threw mine away as soon as I found out. Now I give them Totally Ferret treats as well as N Bones, Cheweasels, Foamy Fries, and Superior Choice Chicken Treats from the ferretstore.com. Also, mine like chicken babyfood. I get the stage 2 baby food with only chicken in it and they tear it up.

Jenny, Zookeeper Extraordinare

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Mom to:

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Pooters, Gracie, Mr. Muggles McLovin It (all three Chi mixes), Angel (Lab mix), and Nina (Sheltie mix)

: Hollands: Peneloppy, Sunkist, Scooby, Toby, Timothy, and Dante; Jersey Wooly: Dini and Dana; Lionheads: Cricket, Tinsel, Missy, Mrs. Jingles, Winnie; Netherlands: Quasar, Amos, and Shutterbug; Havana mix: Colby; Fuzzy Holland Lop: Henry; Velveteen Lops: Prudence and Jude AKA Tigger

Fernando

Benny

Maverick (Bearded Dragon) and Panda (Leopard Gecko)

Lionel (Ball Python) and Arrow (Cornsnake)

Falcon, Sherbert, Razzle and Pearl (All Bettas)

RIP Arthur
post #33 of 41 (permalink) Old 02-26-2006, 05:44 PM

I know I'm coming in a bit late on this post, but I just joined here today. I feed Innova Feline and Innova Evo Feline to our ferrets. After a lot of research I decided on these because they are preservative free, more meat ingredients and higher protein content than most ferret foods. I brought all the info to my vet and asked his opinion. He choose Innova Evo over all others, including some top ferret foods. I think the best way to decide what to feed your ferrets is to do the research, read labels and ask your vet's advice. Then decide what works best for you and your ferrets.
Vamp
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #34 of 41 (permalink) Old 01-17-2007, 01:30 PM
Bry

Hi all, I know I'm a bit later than everybody else in here. I'm pretty new to ferrets, just got a couple yesterday. I feed my cats Natural Balance, and that brand is supposed to be pretty good for cats, and I was wondering if it would be okay for ferrets to ingest? It won't be a staple of their diet, by far, I'll be feeding them their regular ferret diet. But as you know, ferrets get into anything and everything, so I am wondering if it would be bad for them at all?
post #35 of 41 (permalink) Old 01-18-2007, 06:55 AM
Guarded by Waffles

My vet swears by Totally Ferret but right now I am feeding something different (would have to look at the package to find out lol)

Christine
Mommy to:
2 cats: Suess and Jezebel
2 horses: Winter and Junior
3 dogs: Panda, Maggie, Snoopy

And the rest:
5 cows, a bull and one mean buffalo

Gone but not forgotten:
Jester, cat
Waffles, dog
Gunny, ferret

Check out
post #36 of 41 (permalink) Old 01-18-2007, 09:23 PM

Here is a link I use for ferret food comparisons:
http://www.ohioferret.org/INFO/nutri.asp
It hasn't been updated in awhile, but the info that is there is still good.
post #37 of 41 (permalink) Old 04-06-2007, 10:33 PM
Playful Pup

In my experience some ferrets for some reason dont like the 8in1 ultimate but they love the 8in1 complete diet. While it doesnt have as much protien (35%) as the ultimate (46%), its still not that bad of a food. When scooping poop from ferrets on both diets, neither poop stunk and the ferrets did well on it. Much better then crappy iams kitten food. Way better then marshalls ferret food.
My experience with path valley food, was ok. The ferrets did well on it, the poo didnt stink that bad. The only thing is everytime i went in to scoop poop or get the food bowl or change the water id be bleeding profusely from the ferret attacks on my hands. Path valley ferrets are psychotic. Way healthier then marshalls ferrets but their attitudes were vicious.

My Myspace Profile

post #38 of 41 (permalink) Old 12-18-2007, 07:56 PM

Thumbs up

Ferret food is the hardest decision to make for our furbabiesI think it is a very personnel decision and something many of us fight over, but I would like to share mine..........I mix science diet kitten formula(not cat not enuogh protein)and zupreem. I uesd to to use eight in one but my store stopped carrying it(don't ya just hate when that happens)and my vet has called me up twice to rescue ferrets dropped off to him because of the health and care My ferret(s) have /get. But I really feel no one food has all it takes for ferrets health thats why I mix My own blend and I would never want to feed any cat food.....Kitten formula only!!!!!!!
post #39 of 41 (permalink) Old 10-16-2008, 09:03 AM

I live in Dublin and work in a petshop and the 3 ferret food brands we have are VITAKRAFT, SUPA and JAMESWELLBELOVED.
i have tried them all and by far JAMEWELLBELOVED is the best, they go nuts for it, i think its the shape of the kibble??!! Anyway it definately makes them smell less, unless im just immune to it!
post #40 of 41 (permalink) Old 06-10-2009, 03:08 PM
Newborn Pup

Ferrets are pretty much carnivores. I make my own food. I feed a meat protein like chicken (same stuff I would eat) or once in a while, canned salmon. I add a good meat based supplement and an essential fatty acid supplement. My ferret is in excellent health, has an excellent coat, great energy (sometimes too much LOL), good stool and gets a good varied diet full of quality meat protein.

I have added good ferret foods in the past but not for extended periods of time.

Does anyone else here make their own food for their ferret? I also have dogs and have fed them homemade diets as well.
post #41 of 41 (permalink) Old 06-21-2014, 01:15 PM
Newborn Pup

Having recently moved form NJ to PA, i was checking out a Feed Store nearby just to see what they had for chinchillas and ferrets. They only real ferret food they had was mazuri. But it had been a long while since i had researched ferret food (chose 8in1 ultimate) so i didn't relay remember the specifics very well. So i decided to check it out again. Hence why i was reading this thread over.

The reason i started looking into different stores was because i wanted to stop buying any and all pet supplies that i could from petsmart or petco. Like many ppl, i have grown to really hate them.

As an owner of chinchillas, i get heart broken every time i see them in there stores. Chins are exotics but they require very specific living conditions. More specifically, things they are not allowed to have. They are chewers by nature, and often ingest things they chew on. So they cant have items that are dangerous if ingested. They also can not get wet. It can cause a number of health problem including molds and what not growing on there fur. (They take special dust baths)

Both petsmart and petco keep there chins in horrible living conditions. LITERALLY, almost every single item in there cages are a health hazard for them, up to and including death. So many ppl have tried so many times to get this changed, to no avail. - Store imployees say they are not allowed because coorperate demandes things be a certian way. And all communications to cooperate are ignored and dismissed.

So if they would rather risk killing there pets for the sake of profit, then ill be ****ed if im going to spend a dollar there.

So far i managed to switch most of my purchases for chinchillas and my ferrets away form those stores. Ones that i hadnt been able to so far were my 8 in 1 ultimate ferret food and my oxbow timothy hay. - Which was why i was checking out a feed store to see what they offered.

However, while reading through this thread, i was checking out the food comparison links ppl had posted. Most no longer work tho unfortionitly. However one did take me to a page (drsfostersmith) that sells both my ferret food and chinchilla hay. So maybe that might work'

I am a little saddened to see so many unsafe feeds on there site tho :/

Tags
cat food, corn cob, duck soup, ferret food, food bowl, kitten food