Ferret Friend Fined - Paw Talk - Pet Forums
Ferret Discussion Mischievous antics, missing items, and all else ferret.

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 8 (permalink) Old 04-15-2002, 10:27 PM Thread Starter

Ferret Friend Fined

On a personal note, I know a number of people who were involved in rescuing these poor ferrets. This woman is most definitely a collector("hoarder") and she caused a lot of outrage in the ferret community. She also cost the shelters who took the ferrets upwards of $7,000+ dealing with the medical problems these ferrets had when they got them. A number had insulinoma, adrenal and many had atrophied muscles from too much time spent sitting in a cage. She also wouldn't release any of the cages to the shelters, which is usually a sign that she has plans of getting more animals

Ferret friend fined

Morrison must pay $500, also placed on probation

Fri, Apr 12, 2002

By BRYON SAXTON
Standard-Examiner Davis Bureau

LAYTON -- The fight between Jen Morrison, a friend to ferrets, and those agencies confiscating her animals ended Thursday when a 2nd District Court judge fined Morrison $500 and placed her on probation.

Click for article
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 8 (permalink) Old 04-16-2002, 02:51 PM Thread Starter

Post Made by the Accused

This post was on the FML this morning--made by none other than Jen Morrison, herself. All I can say is, this woman needs help

Date: Mon, 15 Apr 2002 14:51:55 EDT
Jen Morrison <[email protected]>
Subject: Utah Ferrets

Frist off I would like to thank Bryon Saxton for his covering this story. I felt he has always been fair in reporting the truth.

Animal Control and Layton City did what they felt was in the best
interest of the animals. In the 17 years that the sanctuary was located in Layton City, if we would have ever gotten one phone call or a knock at the door from anyone saying there was a problem or a complaint none of this would have happen. Thanks go out to the judge and prosecutor for dropping the fine down to $500.00.

To the sanctuary's members without all your many hours of hard work and love you gave the animals many would have died. To our customers who adopted and love so many of our animals. Our supporter without you we wouldn't have been able to feed and care for all of them. A BIG THANKS AND BLESS ALL OF YOU!!!!!!!!!! If any of you ever need anything I will always be there for you!!!!!!

For our tortoise ( he not she ) is being prepared to make his journey to his new home. His new dad's backyard is a tortoise paradise.

The sanctuary open their doors to animals Jan. 1 1971. We have taken in over 3500 ferrets, 10,000 reptiles, plus everything from fish to a mule someone hooked to my truck. For ferrets yes they're cute as can be, but they do (STINK) and that is only one of the many reason why so many are abandon everyday of the year. They will destroy your home. That is why we had 267 of them.

To the FML you wanted them. You took them. You got them sick in
tranport. SORRY but many vet bills to you.

For me I now can afford that new home, furniture and Dodge truck I've had my eye on. Now I can spend time with my beloved family and friends I neglected the passed 31 years to care for so many smelly butt furfaces.

Jen Morrison
President
Ferret & Reptile Rescue Sanctuary
post #3 of 8 (permalink) Old 04-19-2002, 02:50 AM
Playful Pup

If she disliked them so much why on earth did she put them through the **** of living with her? No wonder they weren't properly taken care of if she has that opinion. I'm sure they didn't enjoy her company any more than she did theirs...I'm glad all those poor little fuzzies now have a better chance at finding homes. Can you imagine someone going to adopt from this woman and having her tell them these things? She probably wonders why she could never adopt them out...

:blob8:
Courtney - Animal Tamer of "The Wild Kingdom": 7 ferrets (Ezra, Vin, Starkes, Pacce, Bucky, Spin, and Marty), 3 Puppies (Reece, Pith, and Parker), 3 Kittens (Loki, Dante, and Elly), 1 Rabbit (Benny), 7 Gerbils (Nathan=Mom, Josiah=Dad, Lightning, Thunder, Hail, Rain, & Sleet), and 1 Hedgehog (Goo)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 8 (permalink) Old 04-20-2002, 01:06 PM
Paw-Talk Lifer

I'm with you on that thought, Ty.

Can anyone tell me what THIS means though: "maintaining nuisance animals"??? Just curious.

Stephanie

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #5 of 8 (permalink) Old 04-20-2002, 01:58 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally posted by CMorrow
If she disliked them so much why on earth did she put them through the **** of living with her? No wonder they weren't properly taken care of if she has that opinion. I'm sure they didn't enjoy her company any more than she did theirs...I'm glad all those poor little fuzzies now have a better chance at finding homes. Can you imagine someone going to adopt from this woman and having her tell them these things? She probably wonders why she could never adopt them out...
She never really adopted any of them out; she was a collector/hoarder. In her own mind, she believed that no one else could take better care of them, just her. She takes more and more in cause she thinks she's doing what's best for the animals--it gets so bad these collectors don't even see all the sick and dying(sometimes dead) animals within their own home
post #6 of 8 (permalink) Old 04-20-2002, 02:00 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally posted by Jade
I'm with you on that thought, Ty.

Can anyone tell me what THIS means though: "maintaining nuisance animals"??? Just curious.
That I don't know. A couple of people tried looking it up--it was included in some Utah law. Will look it up and see what I can find out
I had a problem with that phrase, "nuisance animals" too
post #7 of 8 (permalink) Old 04-20-2002, 02:01 PM
Paw-Talk Lifer

Yah, it irks me a bit.

Stephanie

post #8 of 8 (permalink) Old 04-28-2002, 07:43 PM
ELH

Quote:
Originally posted by Jade
I'm not sure, but I think it might mean something along the lines of maintaining the ferrets while they smelled so bad. (And not doing anything about their smell, like bathing them and cleaning their cages.)

.. on a personal note, that woman must of been crazy! I have one ferret, and I go nuts if his cage isn't spotless, because of the smell. I can't imagine 250+ smelly animals in dirty cages.

Tags
animal control