Ferret newbie here! - Paw Talk - Pet Forums
Ferret Discussion Mischievous antics, missing items, and all else ferret.

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 21 (permalink) Old 05-08-2006, 08:45 AM Thread Starter
Adolescent Pup

Ferret newbie here!

Give a warm welcome to our newest addition to the family... McCoy!

McCoy is a ferret who's 3 months old. He has the cutest pink nose, mouth, and paw pads. He also has lovely deep dark red eyes. He's extremely playful, loving, and is learning how to use his new home. He automatically potty trained himself by being successful EACH AND EVERY TIME. I already love him to pieces.

We decided that this will satisfy my urge for a furry friend. I wanted a dog, but that would cause an extra 35 bucks a month to rent and a deposit. This little guy completes me now.

I'm just overwhelmed with love for this small little creature that's now in my life. He is so sweet. I never thought I would have a ferret. The smell that everyone has warned me about isn't that bad, I don't know what they're problem is. He has a little scent, but dogs do too, so do kids! LOL. McCoy is neutered AND descented, so his smell is a light yet musky fragrance that doesn't smell bad, it's just everywhere that he goes through. Everytime I come near him, he comes up to me and looks at me with the most innocent eyes. I'm so impressed at his potty training. We took him to Ely's house and were out for several hours with him and he did not do any of his business anywhere. The instant I brought him home and placed him in his cage, he stepped into the litter box and did his stuff. He's so good!

Anyways... Enough of me raving about my little boy.

McCoy playing with his toy. His eyes aren't THAT bright like that, the flash makes them look weird. I didn't want to take too many with flash so it doesn't bother him.

See, his eyes aren't devilish! LOL.

He's actually sleeping here, he sometimes leaves his eyes slightly open.

Ely and McCoy... father and son bonding.

Jessica

My zoo: 2 Ferrets named Natira and McCoy and lots of different fishies, snails, and african dwarf froggies.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 21 (permalink) Old 05-08-2006, 10:57 AM
Obsessed With Turtles

Jessica he is so freakin adorable! He looks like either a panda or a blaze to me. As he gets older, watch him for deafness ... it is prominant in both those classifications (pandas & blazes). That of course though does not at all mean he won't have a happy loving life, just things for you to adapt a little to him. I would to be on th esafe side- start training him to come to you by rapidly tapping both your hands on the floor almost in a drum like rythem. This way he will hear & feel the vibration. He may not at all become deaf but this is still a good way to train them to come to your command.

I hope you don't take that as me preaching- I am not at all doing that, just wanted you to be aware, jic. Either way - congrats on him, he is amazingly beautiful!

(seeing him reminds me of how much I miss my ferts now )
post #3 of 21 (permalink) Old 05-08-2006, 11:41 AM Thread Starter
Adolescent Pup

No no... I didn't take it as preaching. I love useful info!

I didn't know about the deafness and now have been reading lots on it. I haven't seen him respond to my voice. He does have a vet appointment today where I will ask to make sure and see if there's any way to tell if he is or not.

When he sees me, he comes up to me, it's the cutest thing. I will start doing the tapping to feel the vibrations like you suggested. That's a good idea, just in case.

He's an absolute sweetheart, seriously. I never thought I could attach myself to a ferret like this. I have never had one. I miss him terribly while at work, can't wait to see him in a few hours!!!

Jessica

My zoo: 2 Ferrets named Natira and McCoy and lots of different fishies, snails, and african dwarf froggies.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 21 (permalink) Old 05-08-2006, 12:43 PM
Obsessed With Turtles

The most effective test to check for deafness is to clap your hands together real loudly behind his head - don't let him see you are about to do it ... he will if anything at least jump & look for the sound - of course assumming he isn't deaf. Don't have your hands too close though or he will feel the wind of your hands. Snapping your fingers by his ears sometimes works - but I don't know that it is as effective.

Winnie - one of the ferrets I had is a panda & unfortunately is deaf. It took a lot of work (we didn't catch it until later on though) but she came around. Deaf ferrets are sometimes a little more vocal & inquisitive than non-deaf. That is what cued us in on Winnie being deaf - she made more noises than the others did.

I can't wait to hear about your adventures! Did I tell you he is adorable!!
post #5 of 21 (permalink) Old 05-08-2006, 01:56 PM
Movin' Up in the Pack

Congrats on your new addition, ferrets are a lot of fun!

Shannon

Mother to a beautiful girl!

post #6 of 21 (permalink) Old 05-08-2006, 06:29 PM
Where, or Where Could That Fairy Be?

He is absolutely adorable! I miss having a baby fert around when I see those cute fuzzies at that age. He sounds so well behaved and affectionate...what more could you ask for? Congrats!

I have been sent a Valentine

~Annie~ B.B.- cat, Toffee-ferret and RIP hedgehogs, Prickles, Pepper, Coconut and Nutmeg
post #7 of 21 (permalink) Old 05-08-2006, 08:04 PM Thread Starter
Adolescent Pup

Guess who tricked me... McCoy is a GIRL!

There went his... errrr... her original name. Her name has now been changed into Natira. Natira was McCoy's love in the episode "For the World Is Hollow and I Have Touched the Sky". How appropriate is that? Hehe. There may be a McCoy in this Natira's future.

Either way, I love her still. She weighs 1.4, is super healthy, extremely well-behaved, and she's large for her age. Vet said she shouldn't grow too much more, maybe an inch or two. Vet and vet's assistant loved her. Very impressed by how well she behaved. She got her second distemper shot (after a shot of Benadryl to help) and she'll have her rabies shot in 4 weeks.

Silly receptionist asked me where McCoy is from, so I said Star Trek. She said I should name her Princess Lola. (I think she got confused with Star Wars since she said Princess, but whatever.) I'm like... Uhhh... no.

So... presenting NATIRA! (Formerly known as McCoy)

(Taken with my Sidekick at the vet)

(PS - I can't tell yet if she's deaf, and neither could the vet. Will have to keep monitoring as she get's older.)

Jessica

post #8 of 21 (permalink) Old 05-08-2006, 09:31 PM
Obsessed With Turtles

Well Natira is an awesome name!! I love it!

Glad to here SHE is healthy with flying colors!

As for the deafness ... I had Winnie for about 3 months before I found out she was deaf. She even acted as though she could here. One day she was behind something & my husband went to reach for her and she let out a loud curdling scream because he startled her. It was then we knew something wasn't right & started looking into deafness ... sure enough she was/is

You may get lucky though *crossing fingers*

I still think she is amazingly beautiful!!

OH & watch out for that ferret math! They tend to multiply without you even realizing it! I do however think that at least 1 buddy for Natira would be a great idea for those times when you can't be home with her or have her out of her cage.

(hehe time to fix your siggy )
post #9 of 21 (permalink) Old 05-08-2006, 09:41 PM
Super Soaker Snot Ball Shooter

She's a cutie! Congratulations on the new addition!

The way I knew for sure that my puppy was deaf was when I waited until she was sleeping in my lap and my mom banged a wooden spoon on a coffee can over her head. She never woke up. Just be careful because sound puts off vibration and if you do it too close to them they can sense the vibration and it would seem like they can hear the noise.

Rhonda

post #10 of 21 (permalink) Old 05-08-2006, 10:18 PM Thread Starter
Adolescent Pup

Oops, gotta go change my sig.

I'm curious... if I get a mate for her (neutered of course) to play with, should I get him right away or wait a little while? Also, do you think he would make her into a rascal and change her ways to be less behaved? I'm just so amazed at how great she is, I'd hate for a buddy to ruin that, but then again, he could very well bring her much more happiness.

They have plenty of room as I bought one of those My First Home 4 level cages that come with the embedded tubes (which by the way Natira is still figuring it out... I got her to learn to climb to the second one through the tube by putting her food there).

Ely wants me to go get a male he found at a local store before he disappears, the only one he could find around here. He's tempting me but I got so many things to pay this month, but seeing Natira happier would be worth it (even though she seems super happy as is).

Thanks for all the comments everyone, and especially all the tips!!!

Jessica

post #11 of 21 (permalink) Old 05-08-2006, 10:40 PM
Obsessed With Turtles

I think whether you get another fert (male or female) should be entirely your call... it certainly won't hurt anything

From my personal experience I would always try to at least have a pair. Yea I admit they would get a little more wound up with each other - but that is because they can chase each other & roll around with each other in ways that we can't/ They could carry out their natural instincts with each other. (they way they play & sleep & such) There is a chance she may get less cuddly with you, but that is a 50/50 chance though

IMHO I think it would be a great idea to get her a buddy. BUT only if you know you are ready for that & can handle 2 of them Nobody will know better than you will.
post #12 of 21 (permalink) Old 05-08-2006, 10:49 PM Thread Starter
Adolescent Pup

I will be okay with another one, just a bit nervous she'll start misbehaving. I've never had ferrets to understand their bond with each other. I think I may go and get him tomorrow. And then HE shall be McCoy. So it's best to have them both around the same age then so they grow up together, right? These little critters are addicting. I spent so much time with Natira today on the couch playing with her favorite toy and she likes sleeping there with me while I watch tv. She's such a good girl. And her having a buddy while I'm at work is good. Wonder if a boy would quickly learn to potty in the litter box on his own like she did and will they potty in the same box?

Jessica

post #13 of 21 (permalink) Old 05-09-2006, 07:20 AM
Obsessed With Turtles

age doesn't really matter

Yep they will use the same littler box - some are better than others though at potty training.

If they seem to play "rough" don't be alarmed -- ferret skin is tougher than ours is so they don't feel the "nip" or bite the same way we would. I'm sure things will be just fine!

I can't wait to meet McCoy!
post #14 of 21 (permalink) Old 05-09-2006, 07:56 AM Thread Starter
Adolescent Pup

I got convinced today by Natira that she needs a buddy. I notice when waking up in the morning, she's super hyperactive from sleeping all night. I take her out for a bit trying to get ready for work and she was hopping everywhere on the couch today and making the cutest noises I had never heard. She was play biting and being all frisky. Really really cute!

Then I put her back in her cage and she seemed to be sad as well as trying to occupy herself. She gave up at one point, slept for a minute and got up again looking for something to do.

I now have to go on the search for McCoy today, no matter how much I can't afford it. I want him to be the same age as her so they can grow up together. I may find one today and have pics soon. I think it's still early so she won't get territorial with her home or us since I've only had her for a few days. I think she'll be happier with a mate while we're at work.

Thanks for ALL of the advice! It's VERY much appreciated.

Jessica

post #15 of 21 (permalink) Old 05-09-2006, 03:14 PM
Movin' Up in the Pack

awww she is so cute!!! congrats!

Tags
level cage, litter box, paw pads, potty train, potty trained, potty training, red eyes