Ferret Talk... - Paw Talk - Pet Forums
Ferret Discussion Mischievous antics, missing items, and all else ferret.

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 13 (permalink) Old 10-30-2004, 10:11 PM Thread Starter
Playful Pup

Ferret Talk...

Hi, I have two ferrets one 1 and half year old female name Jessie and one 2 and half year old male name Buddy. We have been through alot together. They are walking proof of what trouble ferrets can get into. We have had some trying times.

I had a really bad incident with my cockatiels and them. I forgave Buddy and Jessie though, because I knew they were only doing what they were meant to do, and I should have known better. Now, I don't have cockatiels, but do plan on getting some when I don't have ferrets in the home.

Just recently Buddy had his first benign tumor removed, I forget the name of the tumer. The vet said that this tumor releases a itchy substance that makes him scratch and bite at it and because he scratches it so much it causes a wound in the area. He is doing fine, he got the stitches removed a couple days ago but now he is going back in, because we think he is haveing trouble breathing. Its seems like he has short breaths during playtime, and this is the only time we have noticed it just recently.

As for Jessie, she has been doing good, she has given us a few scares, but so far no trouble latly. She got her head stuck in a lazy boy chair last year and this year, she was vomiting, but they couldn't figure out what was wrong with her at the Hospital. Then later on she got an infection in her bowl systme, the vet said she might have Irratible Bowl Disease. But she is doing great now and has no infections for the momment.

Thier new thing that they love to do is take Plastic ABC rings out of a big tote of water. Its really fun watching them and they love it. Of course, I only let them do it when we are at home to supervize, because I dont' want them to drown or get thier head stuck in the rings or something. They also love to cuddle with us at night in the bed. I think they are wonderful, but can be a handfull sometimes. I am so glad that My fiance and I got them, and if we could afford it, we probably get more ferrets.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 13 (permalink) Old 10-31-2004, 09:23 AM
Obsessed With Turtles

Welcome!
Sounds like you have had your hands full! Where was the tumor on Buddy? I just went through something similar with one of my girls. Do keep us updated on what you find out with his breathing

The vomitting Jessie was having could have been related to a partial blockage or hairball. Do you give your ferrets ferretlax or vasoline regularily? This helps keep their digestive tract lubricated & free of blockages. I would strongly reccammend that when the ferrets are out plaing to not put up the recliner. They are one of the biggest dangers to a ferret. Just part of ferret proofing

I hope they both are feeling better soon!
post #3 of 13 (permalink) Old 11-01-2004, 07:32 PM Thread Starter
Playful Pup

Hi,

I do give Buddy and Jessie laxative everyday and we don't have any rocking chairs or recliner chairs in the apartment. It was at my moms house when Jessie got her head stuck.

I went to the vet today for Buddys appointment, turns out nothing is wrong, we are just over concern parents! Thats ok though, because if we didn't go, we wouldn't get to meet Samson(a ferret). While we were at the vet, they told us about a ferret they had that didn't have a home and the owners wanted him to be put to sleep, but the vet couldn't do it,.The vet felt that he had a few more years left the only thing that is wrong with Samson is that he is blind, has rear leg weakness, low blood sugar, and has Pancreatic Tumors aka Insulinoma. Well, me being the sucker that I am, managed to talk my fiance to bring Samson home and see how well he does with my ferrets. He isn't that well trained, because he bit me today, of course I am sure its cause he is scared too. He is on meds right now, and is going to have to get surgery.

Right now, we are just going to take care of him for a couple weeks and see if he gets along with our babies, if it works out, we will keep him. I hope that they do get along, but I don't know much about his past and we don't know how old he is either. I know he has to be at least 5 years. He is sweet and does give kisses, but he is very nervous and edgy too. He dosn't like to be held a whole lot and he isn't totally litter boxed trained either. I hope that we can give him a home, if not, I plan on helping the vet find him a good home. I know that I will have to work with him alot, and it is very possible that he won't live long, but I am willing to take that risk. I think Samson deserves that much!

As for Buddy and Jessie, so far, Jessie has not cared about Samson, she just runs around doing her own thing. Buddy is the only one who does seem to care, and will probably be the one that will give us problems with him. I guess he has a hard time excepting new ferrets. Plus being how thier two males, I am sure they are going to have some fight over who is more dominent. Untill we know for sure how well they will get along, they are going to be kept seperated and only be allowed near eachother under our supervision. I will update you all on how well things are going and if we get to keep Samson for good or not.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 13 (permalink) Old 11-02-2004, 01:14 AM
Adolescent Pup

Hope to see alot of pics!!!!!

Desiree, Fluffy and Teddy(the cats) and Paasan (the ferret)
post #5 of 13 (permalink) Old 11-13-2004, 05:13 PM
Playful Pup

As for Buddy and Sampson getting along- I hope the best for you. I have just recently bought a new ferret and added him to the family. It is now 2 male ferrets and yes, do expect the dominance fighting. It was about a week before the 2 started playing aside from the constant wrestling. And that, I figure was quick timing. Even now, they like to turn playing into dominance wrestling. I was so heartbroken when they fought at times because I was told intervening can make it worse. If they haven't resolved the fight, then they will just come back to finish it. As long as no blood is drawn- just keep a close eye. I hated to pull them off each other becasue I feared it was creating more tension. Sometimes I use a spray bottle to break them up. Just a mist setting though- not to hurt them, but just to distract them a bit so they back off. About a week and a half ago, my oldest ferret Mongo, just had a fit in his cage- he actually escaped from it and snuck into the baby's cage. When we found them, they had fallen asleep together!! AWWWW!!! Ever since then, they share the same cage and love cuddling together. They still fight the next morning, but I know they love each other. It's just comes with the territory of having 2 boys. They are a riot playing- and have become like brothers to one another. So it can be done! I hope Buddy and Sampson can come together as well as my boys did. Patience is key. By the way, I hate to bring up troubling stories, but you said something happened with your cockatiel? My boyfirend has one and we all live together- so far so good. They only are interested when he's flying the room, but if you have a warning about the mixture, please let me know so I can try and prevent a terrible incident. Thank you so much. Good luck with the boys!!! My new baby (Andre) looks just like Buddy. Isn't that cute? Tycor
post #6 of 13 (permalink) Old 11-14-2004, 12:25 PM Thread Starter
Playful Pup

Quote:
Originally Posted by tycor2328
By the way, I hate to bring up troubling stories, but you said something happened with your cockatiel? My boyfirend has one and we all live together- so far so good. They only are interested when he's flying the room, but if you have a warning about the mixture, please let me know so I can try and prevent a terrible incident. Thank you so much. Good luck with the boys!!! My new baby (Andre) looks just like Buddy. Isn't that cute? Tycor
Hi, well Thank you for your reply.

As for the cockatiel thing, Yes, ferrets and cockatiels can be a bad mixture. I have heard of stories of a ferret cuddling with a bird, but those ferrets natrual instinct most had been breed out of them. Ferrets eat birds in the wild. Buddy and Jessie killed two of my birds and only one of my birds managed to get away. I still blame myself for it. I strongly suggest not to take the risk and either keep the bird in seperate room from the ferrets and make sure that the bird is locked up when ever the ferrets are out! That or find a new home for the bird. Its a hard decision to make and yes, I would recommend a new home for either the bird or ferrets. I had to give up my one cockatiel that did survive to my sister. Then she had to give her up too, because she is living with my mom and she has two cats and a dog.

I will tell you, it is very hard when your own pet that you love kills another pet that you love. In my case I had 2 pets that did the killing and 2 that died. What is really sad is the cockatiels that died were not that old, I had Cochise for 5 years and I had just gotten Charlie for a graduation gift and he was only a year old. He couldn't even fly. I had a hard time reconnecting with the ferrets after that, because the cockatiels were my babies. It killed the relationship, and I am still not totatly over it. But I hope that people learn from my mistake. I did forgive Buddy and Jessie, and I still love them despite what happend. Powder was the bird that survived she was about 6 years I had gotten her from a friend who was moving. I think the only reason she did survive is because the other two were busy with the other cockatiels to pay any attention to her getting away.

I will not go into the detail of how my cockatiels died, but I will tell you that if you read up on how ferrets kill, it is very vampireish and they love to play with thier food. Also, ferrets are attracted to movement, so when they see your bird flying in the air, they want to catch him. Wether they would go as far as my ferret and kill him, who knows.

I actually think my ferrets had no clue what they were doing, they just got caught up in the moment because once they got caught, they acted really strangely. They kept drinking lots of water and diving thier heads into the dish. They were not themselves at all, and they seemed a little depressed, I don't know if they could feel my pain or if they felt bad about what they did or what. But by a couple days, they went back to normal, although it took me a lot longer to be able to handle them with out crying.

Anyhow... to a more happier note, because I don't like to end things sadly.

You will be glad to know that Buddy and Samson don't fight to much anymore. Samson does tend to like to be by himself alot though and Buddy and Jessie seem to respect that. I can tell that Buddy and Jessie want to cuddle with him, but are afraid of upsetting him. It really dosn't take much to upset him, I think its because he is blind so he gets scared easy. I hope that one day, I will see them all cuddling in a pile. Samson will be going into surgery on the 24th for his Pancratic Tumors. I am hopeing everything goes well. I think that it will, because there is so much Samson hasn't experienced yet. I am just really glad that All my ferrets get along pretty good now, because I would have hated to have to bring Sampson back to the vet because they couldn't get along.

Sampson even plays a little bit with us, he just likes to nibble on our ankles here an there and run off dooking. Its really cute. He dooks alot, but I heard that ferrets with pancratic tumors tend to be really vocal. Now if only I get get him to go in the litter box, he seems to think doorways is the litter box. I don't know how many times I have steped in his poop!

Last edited by ILoveFuzzies; 11-14-2004 at 12:28 PM.
post #7 of 13 (permalink) Old 11-14-2004, 04:17 PM
Playful Pup

Oh, thank you so much for your reply. I am soooo sorry about the ferret and cockatiel incident. That has to be so hard. It takes a really strong person to have seen that and still be able to think about it in a fair light. Instints can be so cruel to us onlookers at times. To forgive and love shows a strong and beautiful person at heart. You have definitely given me something to think about. Luckily our bird has lived in a setting with 3 cats before, so he has learned that landing on the ground can be very dangerous. He avoids it for the most part. His cage is high, and he can fly, so at this point we only worry about the ceiling fan Yikes! But I will definitley be a very watchful eye on this situation now. I'm glad that your ferrets are adjusting a bit more now. I failed to read the part about Sampson being blind- I can sense the caution he must have for others trying to cuddle or play with him. Our newest member Andre was beaten up pretty bad when he first got here. Now it seems he has overcompensated for his size and he is turning into a ferocious little guy. Even to us at times- he just loves lunging at our feet and playing war with our socks when we pass by. I think Mongo our older one is realizing that he created a monster. The baby is now taking him down and playing the bully. I can't keep up with who is dominating who anymore. I think the baby is dominating us all. Well, thanks again for the suggestions. Good luck with Sampson's surgery! I hope for the best!!!! tycor
post #8 of 13 (permalink) Old 11-14-2004, 08:18 PM Thread Starter
Playful Pup

Yes, do keep a good eye on them. Also, Cochise (one of the birds that died, was a really good flyer and she still got caught by the ferrets). Powder was just lucky and the fact that she could fly did help. Also, if your worried about your cockatil hitting ceiling fans, don't have them on when he is out.

As for you new ferret member, thats very common. Jessie was dragged around all over the place by Buddy. I think the only reason Sampson didn't get dragged around, is because he is older and the same size as Buddy. Jessie is are little runt and she is very docile. There are still days that I will here Jessie squealing because she messes with Buddy at the wrong time, or Buddy gets to rough. Its a known fact that ferrets play as rough as thier partner in play. So if your to rough with them, they will play rough back.

Eat a crunchy, Sleep in hammock,
Steal a sock, Dig in shoes,
Nip your ankles, Climb your pants
Miss the litter box, Beg for treats,
Poop in a corner, Knock something over

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
But Why Would Anyone Do a Thing Like That?
post #9 of 13 (permalink) Old 11-14-2004, 09:51 PM
Playful Pup

I completely agree about the ceiling fan- unfortunatley we have a very small apartment, so the only way of heat and air circulation is the fan. We always turn it off when Moey is flying. It was strange at first because when we introduced Mongo to the new home, the bird would occasionaly fly down and land infront of Mongo- as if to see how dangerous Mongo was. Luckily Mongo never attacked- he would just walk away. What a daring bird though. Your signature is great. Jessie is so beautiful- what a distinctive face she has. Thanks for your reply!
post #10 of 13 (permalink) Old 11-14-2004, 10:00 PM
Playful Pup

Pictures!!!

Here are my babies if you haven't seen them yet!!! The little one's Andre and Mongo is the black sable.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg sml ferret.JPG (3.5 KB, 8 views)
File Type: jpg littleferret.JPG (2.8 KB, 8 views)
post #11 of 13 (permalink) Old 11-14-2004, 10:05 PM
Obsessed With Turtles

they are beautiful Tycor!! I am envious! I have always wanted a black sable! give them kisses on the nose for me!
post #12 of 13 (permalink) Old 11-14-2004, 10:14 PM
Playful Pup

Awww, thank you! I am giving them kisses as we type.
post #13 of 13 (permalink) Old 11-14-2004, 10:29 PM
Playful Pup

Angry

I haven't hung out with anyone of my friends for the past month and a half b/c of school. I went to a party last night and was so happy when somebody asked "what's new" so that I could tell them about the ferrets. But everyone reacted negatively. They would say, "ferrets huh? Aren't those like those smelly rodent things?" or "yuck, you have 2 giant rats living with you?!" I am so upset that ferrets were so misinterpreted! I wish they knew the facts and how great of friends they make. But the great thing is that when anyone actually comes to see them, ends up saying "I want a ferret of my own." I love my boys. Shame on anybody that thinks differently.

Tags
doing fine, litter box