Ferret's and Kid's - Paw Talk - Pet Forums
Ferret Discussion Mischievous antics, missing items, and all else ferret.

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 4 (permalink) Old 05-14-2002, 09:43 AM Thread Starter
Head-Butts Horses

Ferret's and Kid's

Hi. I have a friend that has a 2 year old little girl and she is thinking about getting a ferret. But she wants to know how a ferret would be around a kid. Or if anyone has any info. they could give me so I can look it up for her. Any suggestions or comments welcomed. Her child is pretty quiet and calm for compared to some 2 year old children. Just let us know what you think.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 4 (permalink) Old 05-14-2002, 09:56 AM

how is the 2 year old around animals? I never say a definite no to young kids and animals tho I do always strongly advise supervision at all times--any time the child and ferret interact, a parent should be around. But this goes for any pet/child interactions. Sometimes kids tend be be very grabby and hug pets too hard and not realize they're hurting them.
post #3 of 4 (permalink) Old 05-14-2002, 10:10 AM Thread Starter
Head-Butts Horses

She is very good around animals. She don't try to grab at them or anything like that. My friend still hasn't made up her mind yet. We might go out later today and look at some. I've been looking at some different websites to see if I can learn anything for her about them.
And yes the little girl will always be supervised.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 4 (permalink) Old 05-14-2002, 11:39 AM

Feel free to ask any questions you have. And my advice would be to visit a local ferret shelter and let her interact with the ferrets there and see how that goes. I wouldn't go with buying a baby ferret as a "first" ferret. I would go with a shelter ferret 1 year of age or older. Baby ferrets are adorable but they are A LOT of work between the litter and nip training--and they do tend to be nippy as babies. Older ones are a little more "settled" and are *usually* litterbox and nip trained and won't go through any of the typical baby phases