Ferrets and Rabbits - Paw Talk - Pet Forums
Ferret Discussion Mischievous antics, missing items, and all else ferret.

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 10 (permalink) Old 01-28-2009, 06:17 PM Thread Starter
Part of the Pack

Ferrets and Rabbits

Hi there,

I have a small Netherland Dwarf rabbit named Henry. I am currently living at home, and so is my boyfriend,but we have been considering getting a place some time. He has also been thinking about getting a ferret. My question is.. If he got a ferret and I had a rabbit, how safe would their living together be? I'll probably google this as well, but I think the people on here have much better answers. Any input is appreciated.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

give your love no matter what.
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 10 (permalink) Old 01-28-2009, 06:58 PM
chinchilla breeder

not safe. they will need to be kept entirely separated. Ferrets are preditors and rabbits are prey

Kristy Morici
ABC CHINCHILLAS

Many high quality chinchillas Available..

post #3 of 10 (permalink) Old 01-28-2009, 08:10 PM
Hello Earthling

Also long as their separated completely and in secure locking cages, never to come into contact it would be fine.

Just remember that ferrets as predators, rabbits are prey and ferrets are actually used to hunt rabbits.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 10 (permalink) Old 01-29-2009, 06:11 AM
Rodentologist

Also, the smell of ferrets can terrify rabbits (because they are a predator). Maybe you'd be better off getting a buddy for you bunny instead of getting a pet that he'd be terrified of and could possibly be killed by.

We are as gods to the beasts of the fields. We order the time o' their birth and the time o' their death. Between times, we ha' a duty. - Terry Pratchett.

"Men have forgotten this truth", said the fox, "But you must not forget it. You become responsible, forever, for what you have tamed. - Antoine de Saint-Exupéry
post #5 of 10 (permalink) Old 01-29-2009, 11:16 AM Thread Starter
Part of the Pack

Yeah, I know ferrets would love to eat a rabbit, and its not me who wants to get a pet that "he could be terrified of and could possibly killed by". I'm not neglectful or careless. I just didn't know if it was possible for them to be living in the same house, in seperate rooms or cages. Some girl on here has a ton of animals and I think she has ferrets and rabbits. I'll have to ask her what she does.

give your love no matter what.
post #6 of 10 (permalink) Old 01-31-2009, 12:16 AM
Betta Bomb

I used to live with a girl who had a bunny for many years and then got a ferret which plays in the same room and I have seen the ferret get into the rabbit pen but no damages done(thank god) the poor bunny just tucks himself into his usual corner and is afraid. I would NEVER put my prey animals with a hunter ferret. the cat is different but yeah, I know you will make the right desicion, Marmalade. Hope i helped
post #7 of 10 (permalink) Old 02-04-2009, 10:30 PM
Rep Lover

It depends on how the ferret and rabbit is. I work at a pet shop and we have rabbits that hop there tanks and into the ferret tanks. They sleep together and eat together all the time.

I have even had a person tell me they keep there rabbits in same cage as the ferrets and they do fine. And they been together more than a year and nothing never happened.

Like i said it depends on the animal.

Last edited by DragunzGirl; 02-04-2009 at 10:32 PM.
post #8 of 10 (permalink) Old 02-05-2009, 04:01 PM
Betta Bomb

Hmm.I wouldnt risk it.But to each their own, in the safety of the animal I wouldnt trust the instinct of the ferret to stay at bay for long.. What kind of cages do you keep the animals in at the pet store??-
post #9 of 10 (permalink) Old 02-07-2009, 06:31 PM
Newborn Pup

i have 2 ferrets and a rabbit i left them lose in the house together all the time and they are great together they play like they are best friends you just have to interduce them together before leaving them alone thats what we did we held the ferrets and put them up by the rabbit and let them sniff each other then when we saw that we didnt have any thing to worry about we let them lose together
post #10 of 10 (permalink) Old 02-08-2009, 06:55 PM
Movin' Up in the Pack

I've had rabbits while having my ferrets. The rabbits passed away of natural causes, they were never terrified nor did I have any problems....the ferrets and rabbits weren't allowed out at the same time and cages were securely locked so neither could get in with the other.

Life's not about how to survive the storm, It's about learning how to dance in the rain.

Momma to: 2 human children Audree (2) and Jacob (7 mo.)
3 Doggies: Angel (13), Cricket (1), and Diesel (4mo.)
1 Kitty: Mazey (Age unknown)
2 ferrets - Mocha and Marshall
1 bunny - Ice

Working to make a change, one paw at a time!
Volunteer - Skinny Little Buddy's Rescue