Fishtank a Problem? Need Opinions - Paw Talk - Pet Forums
Ferret Discussion Mischievous antics, missing items, and all else ferret.

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 11 (permalink) Old 08-20-2004, 11:46 AM Thread Starter

Question Fishtank a Problem? Need Opinions

My DixieBelle has recently discovered the fishy water in the aquarium. I'm not too thrilled. Although it's cute (like everything else DB does), I keep picturing her floating under the fishtank lid. Here are some pics. What do you think? She's always supervised, but this is still scary to me.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 11 (permalink) Old 08-21-2004, 10:25 AM

My suggestion would be to cut a piece of plexiglass to cover any open holes large enough for her to stick her head in. Some of the larger Walmarts carry a canopy that sits over your lights and completly encloses it or you can build one. I built custom tops for my large tanks in order to run 4 4ft bulbs above them to allow me to keep plants with higher light requirements. In order to prevent them from climbing the shades from the back, I have cut off access from both ends with plexiglass cut to fill the gap between the tank and wall that is as tall as the tank top. I also covered the decorative holes that are under my cabinets to prevent them from going under it. I wanted to make sure they could not get inside since I keep chemicals under one of them (in glass canning jars just in case) to make my own plant food. I admit I would worry a bit about them drinking the water since we remove the chlorine from aquarium water, and even city water is allowed to have a certian amount of contaminants (which is why our city water statement recommends that infants, and those with compromised immune systems not drink city water). Once we remove the chlorine anything that is in it can grow. On a aquarium forum I belong to a few months ago a topic was brought up about a cat that loved to drink the tank water and ended up with giardia several times. Eventually they figured out where it was coming from.

Moon & Crew
post #3 of 11 (permalink) Old 08-21-2004, 12:50 PM
Obsessed With Turtles

Thank you moon for that information! I agree with you, the best alternative would be to somehow cover the wholes to keep the babies out.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 11 (permalink) Old 08-21-2004, 03:10 PM Thread Starter

Thank you for your suggestion. I just went to my scrap pile and found two boards each about 4 ft long and tucked them in at an angle at the back sides of my cabinet. All the chemicals have long since been removed. I am really considering selling it to my nephew, but if I don't, I'll do the plexiglass thing.
post #5 of 11 (permalink) Old 08-24-2004, 12:10 PM Thread Starter

Ah rats. The boards didn't work, but my nephew came down this weekend and is for sure interested in buying the fishtank at my price. Now, I just need to keep a sharp eye on her until it's gone and do whatever I can to keep her off it.
post #6 of 11 (permalink) Old 08-24-2004, 12:44 PM
Obsessed With Turtles

Do you have a heavy plant or something you could put on top of the boards to hold them in place in the mean time??

you have a feisty little one on your hands.
post #7 of 11 (permalink) Old 08-25-2004, 09:47 AM Thread Starter

Since the side boards didn't work, I took one of them and wedged it between the light and the filter in the hopes that DixieBelle will not figure out access to the holes in the cover. This is probably wishful thinking, since the little turdball was watching me from her cage when I did it; and I'm sure she just can't wait to show Mom she can find her way around it.
post #8 of 11 (permalink) Old 08-25-2004, 10:15 AM
Obsessed With Turtles

LOL! You'll have to let us know if she figures it out!
Gosh her & my Tigger would make best buddies... I call Tigger my energizer bunny Sounds like Dixie is the same way!
post #9 of 11 (permalink) Old 08-25-2004, 11:09 AM Thread Starter

Unhappy

Well back to the drawing board. She climbed up the mini blind, came in behind the board in about 5 seconds.

post #10 of 11 (permalink) Old 08-25-2004, 11:28 AM
Obsessed With Turtles

OHHH sneaky little devil!! what about taking a carboard box to completely cover the top of the tank then put a heavy object on top of it?? she sure is determined!!

It's like having a constant 2 year old around that NEVER grows up or learns! (other than learning how to aggraivate mom! lol)
post #11 of 11 (permalink) Old 08-28-2004, 09:24 PM

Oh my....well....any way you can secure that lid from the inside....perhaps add a magnet somewhere to help it stay closed?