Fleas :( What can i do!!! URGENT!!! - Paw Talk - Pet Forums
Ferret Discussion Mischievous antics, missing items, and all else ferret.

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 6 (permalink) Old 12-12-2005, 05:17 AM Thread Starter
Newborn Pup

Exclamation Fleas :( What can i do!!! URGENT!!!

Hi there we have a major problem with our ferret having fleas, he is washed regularly with a ferret shampoo but it doesnt seem to remove the fleas!! Is there a flee powder we can use like there is for cats and dogs??
Also do ferrets get worms like cats and dogs?? becuase he seems skinny and has not been putting weight on. Is there any vitamins you can give them as well?

regards
Blake
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 6 (permalink) Old 12-22-2005, 10:26 PM
Paw-Talk Addict

For the fleas, my vet has told me a tube of Advantage for kittens is okay. You don't want to keep bathing him because you'll only dry him out. If he has fleas, your house has fleas. You bathe him only for him to get them again from your house. The Advantage will kill the fleas as they jump on him. If he's really infested, you can bomb your house with a flea fogger and then do the Advantage. Wait three days after bathing him to put the Advantage on.

About him being skinny, how old is he? They can get worms. I would take him to the vet. If you go to http://everythingfert.com you'll find a recipe for duck soup on there. That's highly recommended for ferrets that need extra nourishment. The stuff you buy over the counter and add water to really doesn't work all that great.

Good luck and keep us posted. Definitely see a vet.

Jenny, Zookeeper Extraordinare

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Mom to:

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Pooters, Gracie, Mr. Muggles McLovin It (all three Chi mixes), Angel (Lab mix), and Nina (Sheltie mix)

: Hollands: Peneloppy, Sunkist, Scooby, Toby, Timothy, and Dante; Jersey Wooly: Dini and Dana; Lionheads: Cricket, Tinsel, Missy, Mrs. Jingles, Winnie; Netherlands: Quasar, Amos, and Shutterbug; Havana mix: Colby; Fuzzy Holland Lop: Henry; Velveteen Lops: Prudence and Jude AKA Tigger

Fernando

Benny

Maverick (Bearded Dragon) and Panda (Leopard Gecko)

Lionel (Ball Python) and Arrow (Cornsnake)

Falcon, Sherbert, Razzle and Pearl (All Bettas)

RIP Arthur
post #3 of 6 (permalink) Old 12-22-2005, 10:43 PM
Playful Pup

I just recently bought a white powder substance called Diatomaceous Earth (Food Grade) but I haven't tried it yet, since my pets don't have fleas. It did wipe out the thousands of lady bugs that tried invading my home this fall!

I have no clue if its safe to use on ferrets, you'd have to research that...but I know its safely used on dogs, cats, birds, livestock, etc. It also is effective in treating internal parasites...but like I said, you'd have to see if its ok for ferrets.

~*Danielle*~

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 6 (permalink) Old 12-22-2005, 10:43 PM
Paw-Talk Addict

It gets the lady bugs away...we could use that!

Mom to:

Pooters, Gracie, Mr. Muggles McLovin It (all three Chi mixes), Angel (Lab mix), and Nina (Sheltie mix)

: Hollands: Peneloppy, Sunkist, Scooby, Toby, Timothy, and Dante; Jersey Wooly: Dini and Dana; Lionheads: Cricket, Tinsel, Missy, Mrs. Jingles, Winnie; Netherlands: Quasar, Amos, and Shutterbug; Havana mix: Colby; Fuzzy Holland Lop: Henry; Velveteen Lops: Prudence and Jude AKA Tigger

Fernando

Benny

RIP Arthur
post #5 of 6 (permalink) Old 12-22-2005, 10:57 PM
Paw-Talk Addict

I was told, useing regular dish soap kills fleas. I belive it suffocates them. Anyways I've heard it works on multiple forums, though i;ve never had a flea problem to be able to try it out myself.

My friend also used Advantage for kittens on her ferrets, b/c her cat was an indoor/outdoor pet and would bring fleas into the home.

Adoption. Is the living option.
Can't Afford The Vet? Can't Afford the Pet!
post #6 of 6 (permalink) Old 12-23-2005, 10:26 AM
Paw-Talk Addict

Yes dish soap does work, but bathing your ferret too often and especially in dish soap with dry him out and dry skin is very irritating. Also, as I said, it won't do you any good to kill what's on him as he'll just get them again from the house.

Mom to:

Fernando

Benny

RIP Arthur

Tags
duck soup