Food Storage - Paw Talk - Pet Forums
Ferret Discussion Mischievous antics, missing items, and all else ferret.

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 9 (permalink) Old 07-15-2004, 12:17 PM Thread Starter

Food Storage

I found it easier/cheaper to buy ferret food in bulk at the Ferret Store among other stores online. I was wondering, how do the rest of you keep your ferret food stored?

Right now i keep it in the bag which is inside a big tubawear container until i open it but i got an 20lb bag that will take forever to go through with 2 ferrets and so i'm worried the food won't stay fresh. I have looked for containers at different stores and nothing seems to be big enough and air tight except for the Vittles Vault containers which are expensive. Does anyone else have an opinion about that container? I was thinking about ordering one but i'm not sure, its a high price so i want to make sure its worth it.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 9 (permalink) Old 07-16-2004, 11:47 PM
Obsessed With Turtles

gto, I currently use the vittles vault http://www.petco.com/product_info.as...0&dept_id=%2D2
Personally I feel it is worth every penny! Originally I was using it for cat food (although it says 10 lb capacity, I am almost possitive it was holding a 20 lb bag) and have now switched to ferret food with it & won't buy anything else!
btw... at petco.com it is on sale for 17.99 for the 10 lb one and at the local petco store I paid 21.00 for it.
post #3 of 9 (permalink) Old 07-17-2004, 10:34 AM Thread Starter

thanks for your reply. I went ahead and bought a Vittles Vault 50 for 40 bucks. I wanted a little more space so it could hold the 20 lb bag of food plus an equal mixture of other foods. I'm glad you said it was worth it because my boyfriend was/is against it because of the price.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 9 (permalink) Old 07-17-2004, 11:22 AM
Obsessed With Turtles

tell your boyfriend that if he thinks about it.. this will seal the food & keep it fresh as where others may not & the food may go bad causing you to throw away a whole bag of food costing you more money in the end

I'm glad you got one! They are great!
post #5 of 9 (permalink) Old 07-30-2004, 10:00 AM Thread Starter

Well I was just able to pack in every bit of food i bought without any space leftover. I been ordering food online in bulk because of shipping and it is cheaper and so i had several different foods i was keeping. Got a couple of bags of 8 in 1 Ultimate (4.4 lbs x3), Innova (6.6 lbs x4), and a bag of the TheFerretStore.com Superior Choice Natural Ferret Diet (20 lbs x1). I also like to feed the Royal Canin kitten food but i can buy that at my local petsmart so i didn't have any of that bulked up. No room anyway

It was alot of money, at least $150 but my god this is going to last forever it seems like. The ferrets barely go through 5 lbs in a month let alone at least 50 Least this is one bill i do not have to worry about in a while. So that is why i wanted the best container possible, i never gotto worry about it going bad.

It is cheaper to buy just one kind of food but i've heard so many stories of food not being stocked anymore and right now since my ferrets are young i wanted them to try all the good foods out there.

Last edited by gto_cowgirl; 07-30-2004 at 10:03 AM.
post #6 of 9 (permalink) Old 07-30-2004, 12:01 PM
Obsessed With Turtles

I deffinately agree with mixing differents foods too! Not only does it give variety but where one lacks the others pick up, etc. (I also feed 8 in 1 Ultimate & Innova)

Just an FYI... I came across a different food comparison chart than the one the ferret store has listed which is much more comprehensive! I will post a link this evening to it, but 8 in 1 and Innova were both rated "10" being one of the best foods you can feed.
post #7 of 9 (permalink) Old 07-30-2004, 01:41 PM Thread Starter

Oh, i think i know what your talking about with the food chart. I think i have seen it before i can't quiet place where now. I thought the Ferret Stores Original and Natural was ranked high too? I assumed they were the same as the other lists but there may be a more comprehensive list of ferret/cat food out there which would be awesome.

Wait, i think i just found it. Is it Food Chart ?

The Ferret Stores Original and Natural is also 10. Phew, had me worried for a second. Hmm.. I thought Royal Canin was okay except for the corn but i see some other products that are better and cheaper with rank 10's. Probably will try some of the other rank 10 foods in 6 months or so whenever i start running low on food.

Last edited by gto_cowgirl; 07-30-2004 at 01:52 PM.
post #8 of 9 (permalink) Old 08-19-2004, 01:10 PM

Sorry I originally posted this to the wrong forum
Mod: feel free to delete this same post under the topic of food comparisons, sorry

For economical storage containers go to walmart (or possibly paint/home improvement stores) and look for new 5 gallon plastic paint buckets , they run about $3. They are new and seal air/water tight. They are a lot cheaper and just as effective as the vittle vault although harder to open for every day use they are great for bulk storage.

Moon & Crew
post #9 of 9 (permalink) Old 08-19-2004, 02:57 PM
Obsessed With Turtles

not to worry about posting in the wrong spot, we all make mistakes

you know I would have never thought about paint buckets! WOW thanks that is a great idea when you are in a pinch!

Tags
cat food, ferret food, kitten food, royal canin