getting a new ferret and NEED HELP! - Paw Talk - Pet Forums
Ferret Discussion Mischievous antics, missing items, and all else ferret.

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 6 (permalink) Old 01-22-2008, 05:37 PM Thread Starter

Exclamation getting a new ferret and NEED HELP!

ok so I need help about getting a ferret. first of all, I HAVE to ask, where to get one. I understand some pet stores arent good to buy from but would buying a ferret from a good one be alright? theres this one big pet store that sells all sorts of exotic animals. they are expensive granted, but the animals look well cared for, and they even sell baby ferrets, deoderized, spayed, vet checked and all. would it be ok to get one of those? are they affectionate? also. if i were to get one, would a rabbit cage be ok? I cant really afford much more. if extremely possible I might be able to convince my parents to get me a bigger cage (like say about the size of a cage somebody would keep a macaw in) for my birthday but if that happens should I buy two so they dont get lonely while Im at school? idk. along with answering those questions, tons of advice would be totally awesome. I want to learn as much as I can so I dont make a mistake.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 6 (permalink) Old 01-24-2008, 03:49 PM

Smile

Hello and welcome to the forum,congrats on your(soon-to-be)new baby. My answer to your first question is YES-if the pet store looks good(no pet store is perfect)I have purchased ferrets from pet stores that looked like the babies were cared for. Just make sure the ferrets have clear eyes and are clean. Ferrets love to be around other ferrets, they snuggle and play,but if you only want one thats more than fine! Ferrets sleep around 19-20 hours a dayso I wouldn't worry about it being lonely. Just remember to let it out at least 2 to 4 hours a day(its better to let it out several times a day in 2 hour intervals)but you can keep it out all day if you like,just be sure to let it take naps! I bathed mine once a month w/ baby shampoo(shut your bathroom door, throw lots of towels on floor and stand back--its hilarous) I feed 8-in-1 ferret food or Zupreem ferret food mixed equally w/ science diet KITTEN(not cat)formula I believe thats the best food for ferrets! Read the sticky on ferret-proofing and invest in a good tunnel system and I made my ferrets toys--they love bags,dig boxes(just a box w/ shreedded papers in it)easter eggs super-glued shut w/ bells in them(they roll crazy). Just watch your baby and you'll figure out what they like best. Your cage sounds fine just make sure to get at least one hammock. I also think the book Ferrets for Dummies is great(I have it). Lastly HAVE FUN don't worry you'll won't mess-up. This is a very exciting time and you should enjoy every minute of it!
post #3 of 6 (permalink) Old 01-24-2008, 05:05 PM
Guarded by Waffles

Buy Ferrets for Dummies! It has helped me so much! I highly recommend it for night time reading. Also check out websites like:

http://www.texasferret.org/bylaws.shtml

Hope this helps

Christine
Mommy to:
2 cats: Suess and Jezebel
2 horses: Winter and Junior
3 dogs: Panda, Maggie, Snoopy

And the rest:
5 cows, a bull and one mean buffalo

Gone but not forgotten:
Jester, cat
Waffles, dog
Gunny, ferret

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Check out
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 6 (permalink) Old 01-27-2008, 02:23 PM Thread Starter

thanks so much! I cant wait till I can bring him/her home and I will definitely have to borrow ferrets for dummies from the library, or maybe I'll buy it anyways thanks for the advice!!!
post #5 of 6 (permalink) Old 02-03-2008, 03:39 PM

I would agree - ferrets for dummies is a great book - I bought it when I was planning on getting ferrets
Ferrets love hammocks and other fuzzy things to snuggel with, and need a big cage and room to run and jump around
If your looking for a non-expensive cage, you should try ebay or craigslist. There's many to choose from!
good luck!

-Sarah
post #6 of 6 (permalink) Old 02-03-2008, 04:16 PM

My friend has 6 ferrets, and they live in a little, well not little but like a 4 feet tallx4 feet cage with 3 storys. I don't know much but I know they need hammocks and soft ground. The book for dummies is a great pet series. My friends 6 are so fun to watch, he usually lets them out and they all run around and hide, but when like 6:30 happens they go in there cage and sleep like a bedtime! They are cool animals. Good Luck and have fun! I suggest 2 or 3, because you get to watch how they interact with each other not just themselves.

Tags
exotic animals, ferret food, pet store, pet stores, rabbit cage